How to run bikes?

AgentP

I'm going to put the captain of the Storm Hawks on a bike, in a command squad on bikes. I want to be able to use the DA box just released, I like the models and it has the feather iconography that works for me.

I've never ran marines on bikes. How many should be in the unit? What equipment loadout? How should the captain be equipped?

I'm going to put the captain of the Storm Hawks on a bike, in a command squad on bikes. I want to be able to use the DA box just released, I like the models and it has the feather iconography that works for me.

I've never ran marines on bikes. How many should be in the unit? What equipment loadout? How should the captain be equipped?

It's a role thing.

If the captain is the warlord, you might want his unit tooled out as a deathstar, or as just a bodyguard unit. Unit would have max numbers (9 including attack bike), or be combat squad (4-5 bikes).

On this end, the command squad (5) can typically be fielded on bikes. Get an apothecary and maybe some combat or storm shields in the mix for defensive buffs. Relic blades and power fists work well with the storm shield models, as they don't lose attacks they would have if not for the storm shields. If a Deathstar, probably want to add some other ICs on bikes to bolster the numbers, as 5-man isn't really enough.

If you think of the captain as expendable, might be in a small unit with combi-weapons (or pistols) to match the special weapons of the min-sized bike unit.

On this end a 3-man unit with 2 special weapons is the typical route.

Could also make the captain a tank for a troops unit on bikes. Build the captain with defensive buffs and ride in the front of a troops bike unit. Idea is to use the captain's improved profile to tank wounds that would otherwise be allocated to the troops bikers. This route favors artificer armor and a storm shield (and eternal warrior, if you can get it).

Command Squad is always 5 Bikes, they don't have an option there. The usual approach I see is 4 Special Weapons (usually Grav) and an Apothecary (it's not entirely clear whether or not you can give the Apothecary a Special Weapon, too), and then upgrade the Captain to a Chapter Master, give him Artificer Armour, the Shield Eternal, and a PowerFist/Thunder Hammer/Relic Blade.

Chapter Master upgrade is for the extra Wound, and the Orbital Bombardment, which he can move and fire from the Bike.

• Like 2

I've never ran marines on bikes.

Bikes can't run, silly; they can only turbo-boost.

Seriously, though, the Command Squad always wants an Apothecary (since 15pts for FNP in the unit is a steal); their other kit will depend on their list.Five special weapons is a common loadout (the Apoth can take one as well) and makes them pretty brutal as an alpha strike unit, though at that point every casualty hurts. A few Storm Shields backed with melee weapons and/or Meltabombs is also common as  a "delivery" unit for a character- the Captain wielding a Relic Blade/PFist and carrying a Storm Shield himself would work reasonably well with them.

Iron Hands get +1 to FNP no matter the source, so you do indeed get a 4+ for them if you have a Narthecium or similar gear in the unit. If you're lucky enough to get Endurance on Biomancy, you've got 3+ FNP!

• Like 1

Seriously, though, the Command Squad always wants an Apothecary (since 15pts for FNP in the unit is a steal); their other kit will depend on their list.Five special weapons is a common loadout (the Apoth can take one as well)

I just mentioned because I have seen arguments go on about that, and I've talked to at least one Bike SM Player who said he only runs four because he got too tired of arguing it. I do agree with you, I just hate getting into arguments in person if I can avoid them :P

• Like 2