Ready for take off

Stronghold assault's skyshield landing pad has this upgrade, "ready for take off" which allows a flyer to start on the table in hover mode for turn 1, provided they start on the skyshield.

Anyone actually tried it? Viable?

Got a "replacement" storm raven and am kicking around the idea of testing it with the hover deployment. 75pts for the skyshield and another 5pts for the upgrade, but that's a whole extra turn of shooting, plus it would allow a turn 1 assault out of the SR, should the enemy get close enough. Skyshield provides a 4++ to shooting, so the SR isn't exactly crippled by starting on the table, plus by not entering from reserves, you functionally nerf the enemy interceptor weapons.

Thoughts?

So do you deploy the StormRaven on the skypad or does it arrive on the first turn on the pad? I'm honestly curious because I don't know the rules for the thing.

It's in stronghold assault (the fortification supplement).

Anyway, yeah, it starts deployed on the skyshield. That said, the flyer must be deployed in hover mode and must remain in hover mode for turn 1.

I see. So you definitely want to go first if at all possible for a first strike or to get out of dodge if the enemy deploys to counter it.

Actually, the skyshield itself, offers a 4++ against shooting to anyone on it. Going second isn't horrible with a skyshield on the table...

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

You want to go second with this setup as you are likely using an assault vehicle. As pax pointed out a 4++ and a av 12-13 vehicle should be able to weather the storm more often than not. Even pod assaults can struggle as you can make it so they won't be able to see the flier and hit the 6" mark.