Feedback Khorne daemonkin 1500

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Going to event tomorrow at a store with a bit of a WAAC feel to it. Want to try daemonkin for first time and would like some feedback. First time going to tourney for this store so curious if play styles will match their league group. Prizes are handed based on place. No paint requirements. Been a while since I have been to an event so focused on win lose. Format is very close to ITC mission.

Here is my list:

+++ Rainy day 1500 Sunday (1500pts) +++

++ Codex: Khorne Daemonkin (Combined Arms Detachment) (566pts) ++

+ HQ (370pts) +

Herald (70pts) [Hellblade, The Brazen Rune]

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (300pts)

+ Troops (116pts) +

Chaos Cultists (58pts) [7x Cultists with Autopistols]

Cultist Champion [Autopistol]

Chaos Cultists (58pts) [7x Cultists with Autopistols]

Cultist Champion [Autopistol]

+ Fast Attack (80pts) +

Flesh Hounds (80pts) [5x Flesh Hounds]

+ Formation (934pts) +

Slaughtercult (934pts)

Chaos Space Marines [7x Chaos Marines,Rhino, Icon of Wrath, Meltagun]

Aspiring Champion [Melta Bombs]

Combi-Weapon [Combi- Melta]

Power Weapon [Power Axe]

Chaos Space Marines [7x Chaos Marines Chaos Rhino, Icon of Wrath, Meltagun]

Aspiring Champion [bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs]

Combi-Weapon [Combi- Melta]

Chaos Spawn [spawn count]

Chaos Spawn [spawn count]

Daemon Prince [Daemonic Flight, The Blood-forged Armour]

Possessed [Chaos Rhino, Possessed Champion, 4x Unit size]

Herald is loaded with the possessed and pushed forward early to disrupt psyker armies. I expect to see a daemon summoning list and possible Eldar.

I do have models to summon a prince, bloodletters and hounds. I plan to mainly get fnp I think I will put herald in formation though because fnp is already on daemon prince

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

List requirements is one cad and one other source which can be a formation and/or ally. So Can't do bloodhost and have to have a cad.

Could only add one formation so I went with slaughtercult.

Maulerfiend would be fun but struggled to find points. Felt wrath was a good anti knight and anti flier option. A good mix for point size. Since I don't have a soul grinder. Though a soul grinder and maulerfiend would have been a better option. I can't help but love wrath though aesthically and play wise. He either is awesome or nuked turn 2.

I pretty much just spam fast stuff, and then whatever minimum amount of slow junk I need to unlock it. This afternoon, I'm going to be running the following at 2K:

CAD (as in your case, required by the Tournament I'm practicing for, I probably wouldn't bother otherwise)

Herald

2x8 Culties

Helldrake

Blood Host

- SlaughterCult

JuggerLord, 4++, GoreDrinker, Power Sword (Warlord)

2x8 Bloodletters

5 Possessed, Rhino

5 Spawn

1 Spawn

- Gorepack

2x3 Bikers, each with 2xMeltagun, Combi-Melta, Meltabombs

15 Flesh Hounds

5 Flesh Hounds

- War Engines

3 MaulerFiends

Big pack of Dogs out in front (after their Scout redeployment), JuggerLord with the larger group of Spawn, the MaulerFiends, Bikes, and Possessed behind them. Depending on the scenario and the opponent, the solo Spawn and small pack of Dogs either go in Reserves or somewhere out of the way. The solo Spawn is an Objective Camper or a Blood Point, depending on what I need more, the small Dog pack goes after vulnerable elements or camps an Objective or suicides for a Blood Point. BloodLetters and Herald usually start in Deep Strike Reserves, Culties start in regular Reserves. I'm considering putting the Herald in with the Possessed in some situations, tho.

The whole thing basically grew out of my ideas for the conversions for the MaulerFiends, Hounds, and Spawn, so it's set up to have them as the main show. I actually first ran a version of it at an OFCC as an Unbound mish-mash of CSM and CD back before the Daemonkin Dex even came out. That version had Kharne and a Mayhem Pack and a Warpsmith, tho, so I had to modify it somewhat.

If I were trying this under their restrictions (which are a bit grating, to be honest- no ability to run Decurion/Gladius/Warhost/Nemesis, can't play Harlies or Inquisition at all, etc, etc) what I'd do is take a Combined Arms and then add a Gorepack formation to that for some extra fast-hitting units. Lessee...

(1492pts?)

DAEMONKIN CAD

1 Herald (Juggernaut, Brazen Rune, Greater Locus) (130)

1 Herald (Juggernaut)

8 Cultists (58)

8 Cultists (58)

1 Heldrake (170)

1 Heldrake (170)

5 Chaos Spawn (160)

GOREPACK

3 Bikers (2 Meltagun) (96)

3 Bikers (2 Meltagun) (96)

15 Flesh Hounds (240)

15 Flesh Hounds (240)

9 Flesh Hounds (144)

It's not a perfect list, but you have a LOT of melee presence coming at the enemy early on, which can overwhelm many types of armies. Heldrakes should solve problems with Scatter Bikes and Ravenwing, if they appear. Daemon Summoning lists are super-easy if they're on the ground (you just punch them to death); if they're airborne, you'll have a harder time. Brazen Rune should slow psyker-based anything down a lot, though. Chaos Spawn could be replaced by anything else fast and punch; Knights and Wraithknights are a big problem for the army, but Daemonkin don't have any particularly good solutions to either of those.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Great feedback quick run down on how it all went down. 14 participants.

Game 1

Long fang spam with ba Thunder cav. I was tabled on turn 5 my turn. I removed 3 models. I had no answer to 2+ 3++ 5+ t5. Was angles deployment and no center block terrain so I couldn't close to long fangs. Was bad table and bad match up. I was too confidant I could swamp or tarpit the cav. First game with new dex, was great oponnent one of our local guys. If we did fav opponent he would have got the pin. Highlight was turn 1 losing my herald rhino and space marine squad with axe to failed morale when herald could lookout a middle, losing fearless.

Game 2 was orks with meg nobs and two falls jets. I flew both monsters and danced around the nobs learning I couldn't do jack to them. Was a lot better match up but I used my previous game experience to win handily. Surgical strikes against his forces. Highlight: both princes locking the dakkajets velocity with vector strikes and they couldn't find a spot to land and crashed in the middle of the fray. Was very samurai like.

Game 3 was against grey knight sm centurion Death Stars. Another death star I ignored to almost win, came down to wining the fight against his mcs. Would have scored two vp. His deathstar was shut down for 2 turns to bad deepstrike and the ruins. Man did the ruins hurt causing 4 wounds. Highlight bloodthirster was grounded and he made an 11" charge by his strike force team. To lock him down. He also tried to assulat with deathstar which I was stoked as I would go at initiative but he failed the 4" range. I forgot about hatred and left a model alive good bye thirster.

Definitely need more answers to 2+ and man did bloodthirster underwhelm 5 wounds and strength 6 is nothing.

Definitely want to bring a juggerlord and hounds.

Chaos marines in rhino were just underwhelming. They aren't as good as the marine counterparts.

Good job for a first outing. DK are definitely an Army that can use some practice, as they play pretty differently to most others.

I'm really not impressed by the basic CSM Units. Bikers are good enough that I'm willing to take them to unlock the GorePack, but the basic CSM just aren't that great. I use BloodLetters in my SlaughterCult just because they're the cheapest of the options for those two slots, but frankly, none of the Troops are all that great.

DK Juggerlords are kind of weird if you're used to a CSM one. They really don't have anything that compares to the Axe of Blind Fury. I'm still playing around with options, and I've got a good feeling about the GoreDrinker/Power Sword combo, but what I usually see is just PowerFist/Lightning Claw.

AP2 is definitely an issue. It's part of why I run the MaulerFiends (and am seriously considering picking up a fourth), and also part of why I prefer JuggerLords to JuggerHeralds (Why can't they get Axes of Khorne? :P ) It was definitely the MaulerFiends that saved me the couple of times I've gone up against MANz.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Gore drinker and power sword combo seems good but I am curious if I hit at initiative I get kill benfits but have to use ap 3 right?

I know this might get super crazy but axe of khorne and goredrinker a hits ap2 at initiative minus one attack

Gore drinker and power sword combo seems good but I am curious if I hit at initiative I get kill benfits but have to use ap 3 right?

I know this might get super crazy but axe of khorne and goredrinker a hits ap2 at initiative minus one attack

That is another option, yeah. I'm probably gonna try both out, see how often I need the fast AP2 vs. how often I feel I need more Attacks. Again, I'm kind of spoiled by the ludicrous number of Attacks I get from a CSM AxeLord. Also, the Axe of Khorne is significantly more expensive.

All the benefits of GoreDrinker just mention "the User's Attacks" or "the User's profile". As far as I can tell, you get the benefits as long as you have GoreDrinker, regardless of whether or not you're actually striking with it.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

So yeah once you double the str stat you are good but not until then. Yeah it's 15 but axe of khorne to keep it ap2 and lose an attack. Seems like it is worth it. Lord comes out 205 not bad better than armour forged daemon prince.

I would rather t5 4++ than a t5 5++ fnp eternal warrior. The odds are nearly the same favoring 4++. The 3+ fnp is better. Anything str 10 is limited and a 4++ is enough, as I won't get the fnp.

I can always do jugger with armour and pf/lc that is still str 9 on charge with refills to wound.