Impact templates and burst

rudra34

When does the burst value come into play for an impact template shot?  Let's say I'm firing with a light shotgun at one model, with two guys standing right behind them.

A - You make a to hit roll against the front model on a single D20.  If successful, all models in the template range that fail to dodge are affected by the full burst of the weapon (2).

B - You roll your full burst (2) while making the to-hit roll against the front model.   If successful, all models in the template range that fail to dodge are affected by only the successful rolls.

I'm active, you're reactive. I roll two dice since I'm B2 with my shotgun at your Knight Hospitaller. He chooses dodge, so does the fusilier behind him. Both KH and Fusilier roll in a face to face against my 2 bursts. I roll 2d20, each of your guys rolls 1. If I roll a 13 and an 8, both hits, and your KH rolls a ten, he dodges one and takes the other. If the fusilier rolls a 5, he takes both hits (since my rolls were higher). If that fusilier rolls an 11, he dodges both templates.

One thing I often forget is that when you dodge, you're at a -3 from templates that come from a "deployable weapon" such as a mine, emauler whatever...

here's a question though: is the first guy hit affected by the template?  or is it just the guys behind him/indirect hits?  the wording is a little funky... reason i say is does the first one still take a -3 for template?  kinda the same question for rockets and such... which btw i totally messed that up last week i think.  spec fire is always B1.  doh sorry guys wont make that mistake again...

That's my understanding as well.  You have to hit the first guy before the template comes into play. 

That's what made me ask the first question, because I can't find a clear answer on whether or not you can use your full burst to attempt to hit the first model and then put down the template.

If you hit that first guy twice, you effectively drop two templates, but your behind-model's dodge is not at penalty, he makes one face to face versus the attackers 2 burst. He doesn't have to roll two dodges or anything. If both hit that first guy and the second guy fails his dodge, he's taken two damage 13 blasts. I'm 95% sure on this one, but there's a chance I'm wrong.

so they are all affected by the template then?  as in if say none were facing they would be at -3 to dodge or is it just the ones behind the primary target?  i get how the F2F works with them, but im more curious about the template rules and how it applies for impact cause you technically roll for BS for the first guy and not the other ones... shotguns work strangely

I place a shotgun template which contacts two models

one is facing me and AROs shoot

one is facing away (watching the six) and AROs dodge (due to lack of options).

The shotgunner rolls two misses! 19 and 20!

The Facing me target hots me on a 2,

the model facing away fails to dodge on a 16

the template just projects the dice roll on to more than one target, and each target reacts in kind

so they are all affected by the template then?  as in if say none were facing they would be at -3 to dodge or is it just the ones behind the primary target?  i get how the F2F works with them, but im more curious about the template rules and how it applies for impact cause you technically roll for BS for the first guy and not the other ones... shotguns work strangely

there is no -3, thats only for deployable weapons.

"In order to Dodge an Attack with an Impact Template Weapon, the main target or any other affected trooper can make a Face to Face Roll with their PH (or PH-3 in the cases mentioned under Effects) against the attacker’s Attack Roll."

then under effects for templates(in general):

"» However, that Roll becomes a PH-3 Roll in these cases: » If the trooper affected by the Template Weapon does not have LoF to the attacker. » If the Template Weapon is a Deployable Weapon (such as a Mine or an E/Mauler). » Troopers affected by a Template Weapon who declare Change Facing will perform a PH-3 Roll."

its not just for deployable weapons... otherwise it wouldnt even say ph-3 as a possible outcome for the impact template.  there are two other instances besides deployable weapons where its -3: if they declare change facing OR they do not have LoF!  which is what i was curious about is if they do not have LoF if its all of them or just the main target.  hope that clarifies my  question a bit...