Recap from Friday Game Night at GG

Norrad

I got crushed in both of my games (first two AoS games ever). My force was the starter box Mortal Khorne warband.Took on NathanVoodoo's Ogres and killed about 4 or 5 ogres and lost my entire warband. Then I played Mr. Bigglesworth's Khorne Daemons. Bloodthirsters are still the king of melee, even in AoS. Still, happy to finally play and learn the rules. 

RCNJack played one long game that night. Hopefully, he will see this thread and share how his game went.

Sorry,I posted this Saturday morning in the thread for the game night on 9/11.

Wanted to do a bit of a write up on the "Dreams of Rust" scenario I played with a Eric,a new player to the game(2nd game for him) and hopefully a soon to be Ordo member:)

My army consisted of the Great Moonclan formation from the OnG list along with a base unit of River Trolls and a Goblin Doom Diver.

My opponents army was Empire with Karl Franz as Gen,Luther Huss,a wizard,a unit of Demigryphs and 3 units of Cav(I think it was).

In a straight up brb fight I would have been likely slapped off the board in 3-4 turns no problem with all the speed and hitting power I faced but what a difference a scenario makes-

Playing on just a 4x4 board with 8 random effect objectives placed mostly in the middle 2/3rds of the battle area made for a rather compact fight but even then,with the 4" maximum movement penalty game wide it still made it tough to get to all objectives quickly.I think the last 2 were claimed on turns 3 and 4.My first thought when seeing this type of game setup made me think of how a Thunderstrike brotherhood would just drop on most of them turn one,but then I remembered they still need to be 9" from an enemy,that in itself would be seriously limiting in effect.

I had first move having finished deploying first even though we had an even warscroll count,I had 2 units of fanatics hidden in goblin blocks.I moved forward with my 30 strong block of gob archers to claim my first objective which was a d6 vp`s,then rolled a 6 to see how many I got,w00t! great start.But then moved my second block of gobo spears onto a nearby objective and revealed a 3d6 mortal wounds pool of molten Gold,DOH!,,yeah lost 13 models from that if I rem right.Then the following turn moved my 3rd and final block of gob spears onto my third objective to reveal 2d6 mortal wounds,DOH,DOH!,,yeah 4 more dead.But due to the victory point count I was assured the 5 vp bonus for winning "turned to gold" body count /biggrin.

This brings me to my first comment on possible adjustments to this scenarios points...I currently sat at 11 vps and with only 6vps left uncovered and the bonus nearly unachievable by my opponent,his only option was tableling me.I think having the d6 vp objective was a bit much and perhaps reduceing it to a d3 or maybe just another static 3 vps.Also perhaps the bonus should be reduced to 3 or 4,or maybe even d3.

The remainder of the game consisted of me feeding my remaining goblins to his armies middle while my Mangler worked over the Demigryphs and knights on his right flank and my Trolls working the left flank.The Doom Diver took most all the game of constant targeting to kill his Wiz,,such is arty in AoS.I did end up doing 2 retreat maneuvers in the middle of the board in order to claim the 2 final unexposed objectives.Though I forgot the part in the scen rules about stopping the game when the final objective markers were exposed so we played the last 2 turns...not much else happened as I was just moving what I could away from Franz and company.

The Rust effects on wound rolls and armor saves had a more adverse effect on the Empire than on my troops,mainly due to the more elite type troops vs my skin wearing hordes,either way a neat addition to the game:).

Game ended with me only having 6 models on the table in 3 units and the Empire with 3 models in 3 units.By brb victory conditions,I got spanked with my high model count army but due to the scenario and having objectives that can be played it really brought power levels of hard hitting units/models down quite a bit.

This scenario will work very well in the mix for multi round event as it promotes bringing those blocks of troops supported with some ranged units.I could see a lot of sideboarding out when this one is to be played:)