Typical method for measuring flight / leap movement over obstacles

orkdork

Hey guys,

How do folks typically go about measuring a flight or jump move that goes over something?

My understanding is that when flying up onto something, you actually are supposed to measure the diagonal movement. Does this apply when flying over models, even though your landing spot is the same height? What about terrain? If I fly/hop over a Ht 2 fence, do I need to bend my measurement over the fence vertically? Both up and down?

Thanks in advance!

-Orkdork

• Like 1

All measurements in malifaux are horizontal only, as the crow flies sort of deal.  Never measure at an angle up or a vertical distance for flying models.  So if you're at the base of a height 10 building, it only takes a little over an inch (the size of your base) to move to standing on the edge on top. 

It can certainly be awkward sometimes to measure flying distances across tall terrain, but you can usually get it close enough to both players' satisfaction. 

Also not that if you're taking two Walk actions, you must be able to legally stop between each movement; you can't land on top of Impassable terrain, for example, even if you're planning to take a second walk action to land on the other side.

So the 9-1-15 FAQ, you measure vertically for movement:

"8) Q: A model with the Incorporeal Ability ignores terrain when it moves. If it is on the ground floor of a

building which is 10” tall, can it end its move on top of the building, even if its Wk stat is less than 10, since
it ignores the building while moving? Same question for a model with Flight in regards to vertical terrain.
A: No. Although measurements in Malifaux are generally made from a top down view, vertical distances are measured while
moving a model (see pg. 42 of the rulebook, Movement & Terrain). If the model with Incorporeal ends its move on top of
the 10” tall building, it would have moved 10” and, unless it has a Wk of 10 or greater, this is not a legal move. However, if
the Incorporeal model has a sufficient Wk stat to complete the move, it would be able to end the move on top of the terrain,
ignoring the usual rules for climbing, etc. Flight works similarly, except in the case of Enclosed terrain (see Enclosed terrain,
rulebook pg. 60)."

What do you think?

Lol, shows how much we use buildings and tall terrain up here... ;)

So I guess you pay for the vertical distance moved in the case of moving to the top of a building. You wouldn't pay double because you're using flight to get up there, rather than struggling to climb like a ladder or cliff).

Oddly I think a model with flight would not measure the vertical distance if it was moving to the other side of the building rather than landing on top, though who knows I could be wrong about that too.