Really weird named dreadnought

derek

So the deredo pattern dreadnought looks kinda cool at least to me and after playing 40k for 2 years I've realized that it's not always high strength low ap that will win me the game it's gonna be high volume mid ap like an auto cannon that will do more damage in the game for me so I've been looking at the deredo dread and his anvilus auto cannons. Two questions for everyone

Has anyone bought it

Has anyone tried it out and how well did it perform in its anti anything role

So the deredo pattern dreadnought looks kinda cool at least to me and after playing 40k for 2 years I've realized that it's not always high strength low ap that will win me the game it's gonna be high volume mid ap like an auto cannon that will do more damage in the game for me so I've been looking at the deredo dread and his anvilus auto cannons. Two questions for everyone

Has anyone bought it

Has anyone tried it out and how well did it perform in its anti anything role

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this one is still listed as "experimental" which means it isn't legal in most events (like ITC). That would be my primary deterrent from buying one, as I don't know if those rules will stay.

Beyond that, he's too many points. I like the idea, but he's 185pts base and most of what you pay for on that walker platform is lost by not having any melee weapons. Dunno, maybe he's better than he looks on paper, but that's how he looks.

I do like the Plasma one, though more for the plasma theme and less for the actual rules...

EDIT: Only real appeal is that this dread is a heavy slot, so it would be pretty easy addition to a pure dreadnought army for some of the armies, BA in particular. 

HQ Libby Dread

Elites DC or Furioso or normal dread

Troops Cassor the Damned (special character dread)

FA nothing

Heavy Dreadero

EDIT: Only real appeal is that this dread is a heavy slot, so it would be pretty easy addition to a pure dreadnought army for some of the armies, BA in particular. 

HQ Libby Dread

Elites DC or Furioso or normal dread

Troops Cassor the Damned (special character dread)

FA nothing

Heavy Dreadero

FA is a Drop Pod for Cassor, since he doesn't have a Dedicated Transport option.

Dreadnought Drop pod doesn't require a slot and isn't dedicated, so there isn't a need.

My copy of IA2.2 says it's Dedicated.

The Fleshtearers Strike Force, which is what you'd probably want to be using there, as it's the only relevant Detachment that doesn't require multiple Troops, does require a FA, so it might as well be a Pod.

Hello there,

Lucius pattern drop pod - I think these are the most-recent rules:

Luciusrules.png

So by these rules, it looks like it's dedicated in Apocalypse games; otherwise a separate Fast Attack.

FAQ from Forge World:

Q. Is the Lucius drop pod the only dedicated transport the dreanoughts can take (so no regular drop pod for the non-contemptor dreads?)
A. The Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod is a dedicated transport vehicle for Dreadnought, you can't put Dreadnoughts in other drop pods.

Q. What is the deal with the Lucius drop pod? Does the dreadnought have to disembark the turn it arrives or can it remain embarked? If not, why have the assault vehicle rule?
A. Dreadnought may choose not to disembark from the Lucius Drop Pod. They may not assault on the turn the drop pod enters play but, as the drop pod is an assault vehicle, if they choose to disembark on a subsequent turn they may assault the turn they disembark.

Q. With regard to the Lucius drop pod, if you remain embarked, can the dreadnought be targeted and what is the effect of destroyed or explodes results on it in the subsequent turn (I gather shaken/stunned are the same as for other passengers nut correct me if wrong)

A. The Dreadnought cannot be targeted as it is still embarked on the Drop Pod.  So, you would need to destroy the Drop Pod, before being able to target the Dreadnought. If the Lucius dreadnought drop pod  is wrecked with the Dreadnought inside, the dreadnought takes no damage, but the wreckage counts as difficult terrain.  So, in order to move out, it would need to make a difficult terrain test.  If the Drop Pod explodes, then it takes the Strength 4 hit on its rear armour.

With regards to your question regarding the Deredeo dread itself, take the missile launcher if you're gonna pony up for the points sink; if I recall you'll have your own Tau 'bot to play with:  always hits side armor, doesn't need LOS and can shoot at a different target than the 'cannons.  The 'cannons have sundering I think, too and take the torso-mounted heavy bolters and you'll have some proper dakka, eh?  If you don't want the missiles take the invulnerable-boosting saving throw thingiemabobber and plop this guy near termies to boost their saves. 

Stay safe,

don

It's all good. I was hoping that somebody had used it and could give some tips as to how well it worked out for what it is. I know it's expensive points wise but it feels like it'd be a good midrange model that can deal with light and medium infantry and some vehicles not alot but some.

@paxmiles, tried an internet search for IA 2 2e but guess it wasn't the right set, sorry about that.  Maybe this one?  http://www.tralfazsolutions.com/MegaBattle/IA2Update28Aug.pdf

The FAQ was attached to an article with the above (outdated) rules.

For the OP, I think these are the current rules for the dread:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Warhammer_40000/Deredeo_Pattern_Dreadnought_V2.pdf

@Dalmer: The best thing frontline gaming has done, is this awesome list of all the FW units and where their most current rules are found:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BpdR4s9sOcbDEv8S2mJUIUK2gtsOS8ZnfxRrcm1-n-U/pub?output=html#

As for the FAQ and current rules for the Deredo is found on the FW downloads site, here: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Downloads?mobile=false&_requestid=5415599

Well my question was in regards to the dread not the lucius pattern pod. So any ideas on what everyone would think

Dread Pod would be nifty with the plasma version of this guy. Just land with a Large Blast of Plasma....Crazy expensive, but it would be cool.

I got the IA 2 2nd ed out and was looking at the various options, contemptor options. I think the deredo is mostly lacking over the Mortis Contemptor or Contemptor dreadnought variants. The main point of value is that both types of Contemptors are Elites, while the deredo is Heavy.

I think if you were planning to spam walkers, he'd have a very useful role in the army. If you aren't spamming walkers, he'd be somewhat useful in an AA role, but you're paying far too much. The FW Mortis Dreadnought with the same Helical Targeting Array rule is 115pts base with 2 Missile Launcher arms (so it can skyfire krak missiles). You'll probably get more impressive results there than with the deredo, just because he isn't as large a point drain on the army.

I do very much like the rules for that Aiolos Missile Launcher, but that's a 35pt upgrade on an already 185pt walker.

As for functions in the army, the main advantages of this guy over a non-walker would be either the transport related values (like Storm Ravens or Pods), placing him on the Battlements of a Fortification, and the ability to overwatch.

@paxmiles, tried an internet search for IA 2 2e but guess it wasn't the right set, sorry about that.  Maybe this one?  http://www.tralfazsolutions.com/MegaBattle/IA2Update28Aug.pdf

So those are also not current rules. You need to either buy the book, or find a Torrent. I'm sure one of the guys on this site knows where the torrents are, if you can't find them yourself. If you get the book, there's an easy way to know if it's it right one, it will say in big letters, "second edition," on the cover of the book.

This guy:60040187027_ImperialArmourVol2SecondEdit

Well my question was in regards to the dread not the lucius pattern pod. So any ideas on what everyone would think

Sorry to derail this one so much.

I think most of the Dread questions have been addressed. Beyond that, I think you need to playtest it. Should be an easy proxy, as it's just a 60mm based dreadnought.

I will note that it is listed as "Experimental" rules on the FW site, so be sure to ask permission ahead of time (probably a "yes" anyway, but asking is good etiquette on this sort of thing).