Pax's AoS TK

I started collecting TK right around End Times and was very surprised with AoS. Rcnjack(?spelling) pointed out the free rules online, recently, as I have been steering clear of AoS due to not being interested in purchasing a new "round" of books.

Finally peaked at the AoS rules. Wow, GW made it simple. That said, I still see nothing regarding base sizes in the unit profile. I managed to acquire a very old skeleton catapult for my tomb kings. What base does it use? It's MUCH smaller than the current model. Is their an AoS base conversion table somewhere,

Also, since I'm looking into this for my 40k models as well, are there any issues with using Warmahordes/malifaux bases for AoS? The idea of basing all my games on the same base sizes/designs is incredibly appealing, especially if buying new bases anyway.

On a side note, GW doesn't really sell slotted bases anymore. They do, but it's webstore exclusive, so if I want to buy round slotted bases in-store, I'm already looking at non-GW bases. I suppose I could devalue the models by sawing off the bases, then pinning them to the base, but that's a lot of work and it makes my models less valuable.

I started collecting TK right around End Times and was very surprised with AoS. Rcnjack(?spelling) pointed out the free rules online, recently, as I have been steering clear of AoS due to not being interested in purchasing a new "round" of books.

Finally peaked at the AoS rules. Wow, GW made it simple. That said, I still see nothing regarding base sizes in the unit profile. I managed to acquire a very old skeleton catapult for my tomb kings. What base does it use? It's MUCH smaller than the current model. Is their an AoS base conversion table somewhere,

Also, since I'm looking into this for my 40k models as well, are there any issues with using Warmahordes/malifaux bases for AoS? The idea of basing all my games on the same base sizes/designs is incredibly appealing, especially if buying new bases anyway.

On a side note, GW doesn't really sell slotted bases anymore. They do, but it's webstore exclusive, so if I want to buy round slotted bases in-store, I'm already looking at non-GW bases. I suppose I could devalue the models by sawing off the bases, then pinning them to the base, but that's a lot of work and it makes my models less valuable.

Yup!,thats the correct spelling of my SN(I never really learned much about vowels so sometimes I just don't use them,,sorry)

Measuring in AoS is model to model,models can be placed on any size base you desire,,goofball shapes are fine too..just keep in mind that house rules around these parts are no base stacking so If you want to place your wizards in the middle of a 3" base so they cant be hit by most melee weapons then you will likely see some frowns on that.I know you wont do that though:).Also you don't really have to use a base at all..for instance I recently ran my Arachnarok Spider and hadn't yet had it mounted on the base it comes with so I just used it without a base at all.

Some players like to measure base to base still and that's fine so long as the game session is played the same way.I just like to try and pile in with outstretched spears and swords slipping in between models if I can.

I have a couple of the older TK catapults as well and last time I used them I just set them down and placed the crew next to them,,no base needed,though a well made base would certainly look better I think...come to think of it I will need to mount them for use in KoW,hehe.

My fantasy collection has a mix of square and round bases which I don't mind playing with the mix,but yes I would probably try to get all models on same shaped bases if I was putting together an army for tournament judging/play.

Friday nights at GG are AoS nights this month though I think we are gonna try a different night going into Winter.Lets get a game going sometime!

Model to model? Doesn't that make the undersized models more problematic?

Not really..

For instance I like to run my Night Goblin Moonclan sometimes,theres 3 units of at least 20 NGs in that formation.Now when I pile in I can usually get at least half of them into combat as their spears have a 2" range and the bases are 20x20`s...real nice for those guys so yes,little guys with long sticks are a thing,especially with the addional bonus to wound from having 30 and 40 in the unit..that can make the unit hit on 4`s and wound on 2`s,if you can get a good charge wrap on the enemy you could easily get 2/3rds or more into combat on pile in,,that can poke most anything to death,lol.

However they have a 5+ save at best and very low Bravery as usual for things that are green in color,so they can be diminished in numbers rather quickly unless they are inspired.

You will find that the more elite infantry are on larger bases mainly as the model are larger so yes,when they have weapons that have a 1" range like most do then they cant get near as many into combat.They have 4+ saves on average and may have a shield reroll to go with that along with other possible special bonuses.

Probably the most important aspect of this issue is that the larger the model the more likely that it has 2 or more wounds per model.So for instance a unit of 5 Stormcast Liberators has 10 wounds(2 per) but when placed next to a 10 model bunch of NG`s with only one wound each you will see that the space they take up is actually rather similar...with the NGs taking just a small amount more space.But with their much lower bravery they are likely to loose more models to Bravery tests.

• 2 months later...

Wow, glad I checked if I already had a thread started in this section. October, huh? Feels like longer.

I have looked through the rules. Need to re-read again. If there's a kind soul that would print me those 4 pages of AoS rules, it would be a real help to have a physical copy.

List creation is wonky, but I think I have a grasp of it. Game does look really simple (on paper).

As for my tomb kings, I'm puzzled as to how to proceed:

For starters, I no longer have to field a wizard at all. Although I probably still will, the lack of requirements means more options and, in turn, more trouble deciding what to bring. I also seem to have full access to Vampire Counts, which is more the same point, as it means more options. I seem to also lack core/special/rare requirements.

Another issue is that when I started my TK, they were my square base army and my Tzeentch daemons were to be my round based 40k alternate army (as opposed to my Imperial faction army). With the base requirement change, I actually have a larger AoS army of Tzeentch daemons than I do of Tomb Kings. Given the larger array of chaos faction models, I am strongly tempted to ditch this TK army before it becomes any larger.

I really wish I could just ally the TK to my Tzeentch Daemons, but it doesn't look like that's a realistic option for AoS.

Suggestions?

About Half of all my Fantasy models are on Squares now..bases don't matter at all in the game.The only thing to keep in mind about base sizes is we don't stack on top of bases,so try to use a reasonable size so that your model can get within an inch of another model without having to stack onto another`s base.To further help in this a good house rule of models that are in base to base contact are always within 1" of each other is in effect.

All of my new models are going on round/ovals though,I plan to eventually rebase from the "Sharp edges"...I think the round/ovals showcase the individual models so much better:)

Yes,you don't even need to bring a hero playing with the RAW,you just have to assign one model to be your General,you can even take several hero`s and still assign a war machine crewman to be your general for example.Keep in mind this is using RAW..many Battlplans the GW has put out do state in the army requirements that the player must assign one hero to be their General.

As for list building,its unbound royal,I just try to build along the lines of being able to deal with all threats.Simple example being yes,you can take 200 skeletons along with a some Lich Priests to bring them back when they die..but this does nothing to the army of Trebuchet`s and Archers that will be shooting the crap out of them as they approach.OR you are playing a scenario that requires you to fight past the enemies line and get models/units off their edge of the table,or get to an objective at the end of the board...in this case you probably want speed and possibly flyers in your army.

Their isn't a single rule stating you can't ally tomb kings with chaos. Thematically it may not be an easy fit, but otherwise you most certainly can.

Doesn't seem to be a rule in the respect that GW said I can't, but looking at the comp systems that exist, does seem unlikely that it would be allowed. 40k rules are very similar, yet most events don't allow the free-form list creation that the rules suggest.

Anyway, I think VC would be fine with chaos, but I think TK are closer to Order than they are to Chaos.

As for list building,its unbound royal,I just try to build along the lines of being able to deal with all threats.Simple example being yes,you can take 200 skeletons along with a some Lich Priests to bring them back when they die..but this does nothing to the army of Trebuchet`s and Archers that will be shooting the crap out of them as they approach.OR you are playing a scenario that requires you to fight past the enemies line and get models/units off their edge of the table,or get to an objective at the end of the board...in this case you probably want speed and possibly flyers in your army.

And that's the other concern. I don't really have 200 skeletons. I mostly have non-core choices. So getting a TK AoS army up and running will require much more model acquisition/assembly than fielding chaos. My chaos army is pretty close to the painting stage.

Beauty of AOS is that there is no core tax. You can field a whole army of elites without one core troop!

Yeah, I see that, but I'm unclear how true that would be with TK. I mean, TK without skeletons.....?

Okay, so this project is shelved. Basically, I don't want to work with the current line of GW TK models enough to make an entire army. The models include many fine-cast or plastic-only models, and would require much purchasing of models I don't really like. When GW remakes the TK, I'll probably take this project off the shelf. Only time will tell.

My Daemons are already bought, and I love the models, so my primary army will be them.