New Player for WOW

warprat

Hey Guys,

I have been down to WOW a couple times in the distant past and really liked the people there, but already had a regular gaming group that I played with.   The group broke up, and I played on-line games for a few years.  Now I want to get back into miniatures again.

I have a large-ish space marine collection of a couple hundred or so figures and transports fully unassembled and unpainted.  Along with some speeders and whatnot that I have collected from the various battle boxes (the ones that contain the small rules and figures from two different armies.)

I am wondering about a few things...

Is the club still active and playing 40K?

What is the meta like there?   Friendly or super competitive?

What kind of list should I bring?    If I bring a battle company will that be too much, too little, or just right? 

Do my minis need to be painted to play?  WYSIWYG?

Finally, does anyone have any advice for a simple and fast way to paint lots of models to a fairly table top standard in a short-ish amount of time?  Is one color easier than another?

I would like to play my army with a paint scheme that could let me play as a successor chapter of any codex.   I also have some chaos bits to add to some figures to make sarges and whatnot chaosey.  Just to spice things up.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Warprat

• Like 2

Welcome back. Yes Ordo is still rocking and rolling 40k. We have both competitive and non-competitive players. Just post up in the Game Night thread before Tuesday night to get a game in. As far as painting goes, you could use Army Painter primer as a base if you don't have an airbrush. Wash the mini and then drybrush your highlights. After that, just pick out your details and boom; army finished.

Tuesday nights and Sunday nights will be your best bets to getting a 40k game.

Welcome back.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

as chappy said post what kind of list you want to play against, friendly, tourney, fluffy, scenario, etc.

40k it's still kicking, and you shouldn't have a problem getting a game in on Tuesday night.

As a point we have had a lot of different games being played, Kings of war, blood bowl, infinity, board games, etc.

Welcome back, more bodies in the winter would be welcome to keep us warm.

• Like 1

My first attempt at a Battle Company list.    Good, bad, ugly?  Ideas, comments?

HQ         
150pts     Khan     Moondraken                 1    
115pts    Chaplain     Bike, Auspex             1    

Troops         
170pts    Tactical Squad     Flamer, C Flamer, Plasma Cannon 10
    Rhino                         1
185pts    Tactical Squad     Flamer, C Flamer, Plasma Cannon 10
    Drop Pod  Deathwind                 1
105pts    Tactical Squad     Plasma Cannon             5
    Razorback Las Cannon, TL Plasma            1
105pts    Tactical Squad     Plasma Cannon             5
    Razorback Las Cannon, TL Plasma            1

10th Company Task Force         
72pts    Scouts     2x SR, 2x BLT, Missle Launcher         5
70pts    Scouts     3x CC, 1x SG, Missle Launcher         5
70pts    Scouts     3x CC, 1x SG, Missle Launcher         5

Fast Attack         
143pts Marine Bikes Grav x2, Multi-melta Attack bike     4
50pts    Attack Bike     Multi Melta             1

Heavy Support         
130pts    Devastators     Las Cannon x3             5
    Drop Pod                    1
145pts    Devastators     Las Cannon x3            5
    Drop Pod  Deathwind                 1

1850pts

I also have a couple of Blood Bowl teams laying around some where.   A Human team, Ork team, and a High Elf team.  OK, thats three, LOL!

To be completely honest with you 40k is kind of DOA at the moment down at the club house. The 40k league we had going fizzled out. That being said a lot of people are playing a bunch of games like, Kings of War, Blood Bowl, Infinity and board games. I have been playing board games down at the clubhouse on Tuesdays lately but would not mind getting some 40k in as well. I have a SM army with an Imperial Knight and have well over 2000 points to play with.

Well, the list may be a fairly good, but I'm pretty rusty on the rules, so I'll probably make all sorts of rooky mistakes.  I've always played foot armies in the past.  I'm actually pretty jazzed to try out the transports.  Never played one before... 

I'm going to try to glue a bunch of stuff up this weekend.   I have a decent shot at making the club on Tuesday, with some sort of cobbled together, bastardized army.    It won't be the full Battle Company, probably just some Tacs and Terminators.

What time do you guys start?

I'll probably make all sorts of rooky mistakes.

What time do you guys start?

Have no worries, my middle name is rookie mistakes. If your goal is to have a good time gaming you're in the right place.

The clubhouse gets opened by whatever Senator gets there first but 4-10pm is typical on Tuesdays. Check the Game Night thread for updates.

Welcome to the club.