Dreadhold...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started to do a preliminary assembly (no glue) of the malefic gate and I'm trying to decide how to do the paint. I love this kit, but it is going to be a big project.

One thing came up. The battlements are definitely going to be blocking LoS for skaven and dwarves due to the high walls. I'm looking into adjustment options, either for the building or for the models. I've got a few ideas, but other suggestions are welcome too. Basically, I could make the bases taller for the models, alter the models to be taller, alter the building walls to be shorter, or I could even drill battle damage "holes" into the building to allow peep holes for the shorter models. I could also leave it as is, and just use it as LoS blocking for the models on the battlements.

The other thing I'm considering, is adding lighting effects....

And you'll have it all done by Saturday right? Lol

No, on Saturday, I plan to bring the two end bits that only come in that hellfort box, just to show them off. Beyond that, no plans as to when this project will be done. If I had to guess, I'm hoping for September to be done with both my AoS chaos and the Helfort. No promises.

One thing to note on the wall kits,,I just finished one section and the parapet pillar things seem to be of varying heights and they don't have to go in any certain order.I thought at first that I would have 2 low ones on the inside of the radius and 3 high ones on the front.Then started gluing and found that I actually had like 4 different heights out of the 5 they gave me,lol.

I've started to do a preliminary assembly (no glue) of the malefic gate and I'm trying to decide how to do the paint. I love this kit, but it is going to be a big project.

One thing came up. The battlements are definitely going to be blocking LoS for skaven and dwarves due to the high walls. I'm looking into adjustment options, either for the building or for the models. I've got a few ideas, but other suggestions are welcome too. Basically, I could make the bases taller for the models, alter the models to be taller, alter the building walls to be shorter, or I could even drill battle damage "holes" into the building to allow peep holes for the shorter models. I could also leave it as is, and just use it as LoS blocking for the models on the battlements.

The other thing I'm considering, is adding lighting effects....

I ordered some red flicker candles just to stick inside the Keep and probably the Bastion.I had the holes drilled and optic fibre filament mounted in all the corner Gargoyles eyes on the Skull keep but when I went to glue on the Gargoyles,even though I thought I had kept the glue away from the fibres passing into the lower room,glue still got onto to two of the sets and they broke away when I was routing them to the LED.Needless to say that was a major bummer.

If I get another shot at it assuming I can pick up a Helfort kit,I think ill order larger Fibers and try again as theres plenty of room inside those Gargoyle castings to do it.Come to think of it I can probably just use some plastic or copper tube as a conduit.

Confirmed: KoW Dwarves are tall enough to see out the battlements. Models need their bases to make that claim, as that 1/8 of an inch is all that they can see out with.

I think in the case of the fortress walls it would be much more streamlined to just state that LoS is traced to and from the terrain piece just as it is in the Garrison rules.Think of it this way,for instance Goblins are too small to see over but yet if they occupied it they would likely be climbing up on the Kneelers to shoot.

I think in the case of the fortress walls it would be much more streamlined to just state that LoS is traced to and from the terrain piece just as it is in the Garrison rules.Think of it this way,for instance Goblins are too small to see over but yet if they occupied it they would likely be climbing up on the Kneelers to shoot.

But then, I would be modelling my goblins to be climbing on kneelers. It's a fluffy hobby thing, not a rules issue. Good point, though.

Been assembling this one and thinking about it. This castle is odd. I mean, the entire chaos faction has less shooting and other ranged options than most other factions. Our max range is 40", with the more common shooting weapons capping out at 18". Most of the chaos forces seem designed with offensives in mind, not defense. Yet, this castle is clearly designed around chaos having some great defensive power.

Artillery wise, Order caps out at 48" and Destruction at 50" (60" with deviation). Against such warmachines, the castle is rather impractical. There's no need to assault the castle if you completely out range it like that.

Don't get me wrong, I love this castle set, I'm just thinking that GW might have been wise to release it with a chaos force that could realistically defend it. Chaos has excellent units to assault a castle, but we're rather lacking on the defensive. Kinda has me puzzled.

Seraphons best range is 25" And that's on a monster lol we have a lot of defensive options thou

Yeah, if we go by the races it balances out more. I suppose those grand alliances are more something for big battles anyway (from a fluff standpoint).

Seraphons best range is 25" And that's on a monster lol we have a lot of defensive options thou

Though, 25" is frighteningly low for the maximum range. Are you including spells there?

That's missile weapons. Most spells are super low cuz they are mostly buffs. We might have one offense spell and that's 20"

Wow. Well. perhaps they'll make a lizard man fortress next, seeing as you too lack any decent range....

That would be awesome. Like a huge pyramid that shoots lasers...oh wait someone has that already lol

It would not be that difficult to turn 4 monoliths into a pretty awesome castle for Seraphon. Very minimal conversions too.

Okay, Dreadhold question. I'm debating the spiky bits. Never been a huge fan of spikes on models. Dangerous to step on, sticks to travel foam, and the tips suffer wear faster than the other sections of the model.

Any strong objections to a Chaos Castle that isn't coated in plastic daggers?