Dreadhold...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy [big bad swear word] lol that will be nuts to assault

Good news is that the AoS building rules don't really do much in the way of assaulting the buildings. They just count the garrisoned unit as in cover, and we measure ranges to and from the garrisoned models via the building itself. Each building has a few special rules, but nothing indicating it's as imposing at that is....

Ahh ok so we could still shoot at the guys but they would get a good cover save and some other goodies. That's sweet

Not even a good cover save. In AoS, all cover is equal. Cover just grants +1 on your save for being on or in the terrain feature. No effect against mortal wounds, reduced by rending as normal, and so on. It is notable that in this game, cover does apply in assault, except that it doesn't apply for units that launched a charge that turn (so charging a garrisoned unit will be hard, but not impossible).

So, from a cover standpoint, concealment in a summoned forest provides just as much cover as being garrisoned in a castle.

Manly, the differences are that each scenery piece has special rules as per their warscroll (free on the GW site next to the kit info) and that LoS is calculated for the terrain feature, instead of for the unit garrisoned inside.

They did a very good job making the terrain pieces both useful and unbroken.

I see. It sounds pretty easy then. How many parts of that giant castle did you get?

Got a Helfort box set. 2 of the above towers, 6 sections of walls and a big gate. Yeah, this is going to be awesome.

What's your experience with gluing the new AoS terrain together?   Was working on the Numinous Occulum this weekend and had problems with the glue sticking anything together. Not sure if its the model (release agent), my glue (P3) or the temperature.  Come to think of it, it might be my glue.  Sometimes it works like a charm - other times, nada

Those chaos guys are over compensating I think

img_1918.jpg?w=780&h=585

Although it's a bit bigger than the old Warhammer Castle towers, I don't think it's over compensation. Those BA plastic space marines are 0.25-0.5" taller than their RT metal cousins. I think GW is making things bigger, in general.

Now, that said, the Skull keep above is the shorter of the two towers from the dreadhold release. The other one, the Overlord Bastion, it a bit taller than this one. Might be overcompensation....

What's your experience with gluing the new AoS terrain together?   Was working on the Numinous Occulum this weekend and had problems with the glue sticking anything together. Not sure if its the model (release agent), my glue (P3) or the temperature.  Come to think of it, it might be my glue.  Sometimes it works like a charm - other times, nada

I didn't have any issues with the gluing (Testor's Plastic Cement), but the Numinous Occulum goes together way better if you put the floor piece in before assembling the globe. The walls don't want to go together at quite the right angle without that in there, which creates issues in getting the globe together right.

GW poked me off on this one,I spent a lot to attain the 4 wall sections,Skull Keep,Overlord Bastion and Malific Gate...then they release this cool ass set that comes with 2 broken wall sections I cant get anywhere else,,fuuuuuuuudge!

Anyhow,looks like ill have pretty much a full castle after I get the money together to pick up the Helfort.I really want to do an AoS table entry at OFCC with the Dreadhold and Brimstone terrain:)

Ive just finished painting the Skullkeep and ill try to bring it this weekend for you to check out Pax....I kinda think my choice of a bronze/brass color is a bit on the dull side,should help you decide what color to go for though.

GW poked me off on this one,I spent a lot to attain the 4 wall sections,Skull Keep,Overlord Bastion and Malific Gate...then they release this cool ass set that comes with 2 broken wall sections I cant get anywhere else,,fuuuuuuuudge!.

I've got that set coming to me if you want to examine one of the broken sections.

Dreadhold Hellfort arrived today. Giant.

Okay, so it says "rules included..." Came with rules for the "helfort" batalion and the malefic gate, but I didn't recieve rules or assembly information for the skull keep or wall sections. Looks like I get to contact GW regarding that one.

I'll get a photo up with the hellfort battalion later, but basically it grants me the ability to demolish one of my own walls once per game, which is why the kit is the only one to include the destroyed wall sections.

FYI, Guardian Games has 3 of those Hellfort boxes....on Thursday they will be 30% off.

Yeah, one of my temptations.

That said, this kit is giant. To paint well, this set is going to take as long as my entire AoS daemon army....

Grrr...why can't money just appear infront of me?

I've seen that CSI, it didn't end well....

Anyway, found the other booklets. Comes with rules and assembly info for the Overlord Bastion, Skull Keep, Malefic Gate, and Helfort Battalion, but not the walls themselves. Not a huge issue, but it's annoying as it doesn't directly explain assembly, more, implied assembly instructions. Don't worry, looks easy enough for me, just annoyed it doesn't include what it says it includes.

EDIT: It actually includes some things I didn't think it included, so I suppose I should be thankful, but rather, I'm annoyed I didn't get what they said I'd get. Such a petty person....