Need painting help!

Hey all,

I'm trying to bring my painting to the next level and I'm having some troubles getting the affects that I want.  I got myself an airbrush and have been playing around with that trying to get better with it, one affect in particular i cant seem to figure out is the dramatic light to dark change on armor like shown on the link below where it looks like the armor is shiny but without using any varnishes.  Is that an airbrush technique or very fine hand painted?  If anyone has any insight i would love to hear it.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/397575?browseid=15045275

Thanks

• Like 1

Looks like regular brush painting to me. I've never seen anyone work an airbrush that fine on a miniature. Loren can help more with the airbrushing, but if that's just Golden Daemon level brushwork, it involves many, many layers of very thinned paint, wet-blended with acrylic medium, plenty of glazes, and a good paintbrush. It's totally beyond me, that's for sure!

• Like 1

On the single model level you can do some cheats to get you in the ball park, but it takes a pretty specific set up.

1. Get the smallest needle and nozzle available for your airbrush

2. Crank the PSI on your air compressor down to 10-15, most airbrushes suggest 35 ish, this will give you a very small paint flow in a pretty tight spray pattern.  

It won't take the place of brush work, but at gaming distance,1-2 feet, it should look good.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.