Unhijacked airsoft thread

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

So I went to hillsboro airsoft yesterday. Great indoor setup they change quarterly. The staff was great and the store front had some great variety. The store is definitely focused on sales of electronic and a little support for gas.

The folks that showed up, were very spirited and a lot of fun to play. A great variety of weapons. I saw rifles, shotguns, and pistols. I also saw grenades and stun grenades. We played a variety of scenarios in those 3 hours.

Friday-Sunday are the best days for pick up games, and on occasion Wednesday.

Hope to catch others out this way. I am looking to sell some war games to fund this hobby. The first gun on my radar is the g+g firehawk.

Post if plan to go and want to meetup.

• Like 1

My first 2 rifles, and my son's current were G&G.  My current rifle is a Krytac PDW and my sidearm a Elite Force 1911Tac.

Very similar to this: Different sight, different foregrip, my mock suppressor is a G&G tracer unit that makes the BBs glow as they leave the barrel.  This would be the first/best upgrade I can recommend, although I think the firehawk might come with a mock suppressor.  

380x272_airsoft-krytac-pdw-blk-a.jpg

I always paint the front ring Safety Orange if it doesn't come that way from the manufacturer.  I mainly use a mix of hobby paints and hard gloss varnish applied with an airbrush.

I'll get my act together for a Friday or Saturday game and be sure to post here.  

I was wrong, the Firehawk seems to have a removable muzzle break that you could replace with a tracer unit.  The Firehawk has some other device in it that generates a distinctive pop that is different than the noise that most of the other rifles out there make.  The noise maker may be in the muzzle break, so that could complicate things.  Seen plenty if people running those and having fun with them.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Sweet. Thanks for tip. I'm just so intimidated by all the choices because I'm not a gun guy. Tracer sounds good as I felt I struggled with tracking rounds. Does the ink need to be refilled? I planned to paint tip bright orange and clip. I figured best to make this look like the toy it is.

Yeah I figured I would pop it to change the noise maker once I got comfortable to pop.

I also thought about loading a light wired to trigger and seeing if I could make it pop on for a full second. The light was effective defensively against me.

Some guys had rifles with no blowback rigged to a co2 tank on back. I'm struggling to find them, were they likely conversions?

The tracer unit works in conjunction with glow in the dark BBs.  There is a photo strobe in the suppressor that flashes as the BB goes by.  The BB glows all the way to the target, so you get much better at putting your rounds where you want them.  

I always stress the safety part to my son too.  The plastic orange tips come off with a little dremel action, but I always make sure that what I'm replacing it with is painted orange.  

I've got a flashlight with a pressure sensor.  I usually put the sensor where my off hand can trigger it from the foregrip rather than near the trigger.  There have been some dark corners that I've been thankful for having that.  

When someone engages you with their light just send the BBs back down where the light is.  Let them use the light to telegraph where they are or are looking.  Always keep moving, never stay where they think you might be.  

The guys (kids often) are running High Pressure Air systems (HPA).  They usually want to run and slide on thier knees and wear beanies.  I tend to play a little more tactical than that.  They often just want to run around with a BB hose.  

Tippmann, released an M-4 HPA that quite a few people had good things to say about.  

http://www.tippmann.com/p/m4-carbine-airsoft

Prices go up dramatically for guns, tanks, regulators, hoses, and I think it may be required that you get one of those obnoxious beanies.  

11262577_1456320681327708_1261931315_n.j

No way, I'm not going to be those kinds of guys.

I will wear the beanie but I don't want to play min max. I do like to keep moving and practice a clean shot versus mass rate of fire.

The setup I saw last week that I liked was a pistol setup using air. I want to get a good rifle and good pistol. The pistol I like the most is the 1911, so was thinking I would get a full metal, I don't want blowback because I don't want my kids accidentally slicing a finger. They are still very young if they ever got their hands on one. I plan to put them under lock and key and once they are 6+ I will teach them gun safety. Though I won't have live guns I don't want them to be blind to gun safety in case they are exposed at say a friends house.

I might be but my rifle sometime today, if I can sale something's.

I was having fun about the beanies.  I've played with really cool guys who rock beanies and HPA set ups.  You're right, it's all about how you play the game.

Besides I can't make fun of anybody, I love to rock a full MARPAT camo set up.  But it's also the closest I'll ever get to CosPlay.  

Firearm safety and awareness is exactly the way I started with my son as well.  You never know what they will run into out in the world.  

There is a great Airsoft shop up in Vancouver called Thunderkiss NW.  They do all kinds of custom builds and have a friendly and knowledgeable staff.  

Someone deleted me... someone who loves bacon apparently ;). Note to self don't dog on bacon.

Cool good to know about Vancouver shop. I figured you were playing on a those guys, I plan to wear a beanie under my face mask. The point about not wanting to be associated with a pray and spray tactic is true to me. I like to line my shots and if able wait to see if my position will be compromised by shot.

If I get into out doors I may find myself at the army surplus store in aloha buying fatigues.

Searching for face masks I am researching ones that work with wearing glasses. I do like the idea of wearing a helmet as I imagine it will be easier to know I got shot in head than a beanie.

• Like 4

Airsoft BBs hurt.  They will shoot your eye out.  Eye protection is highest priority.  

I run Save Phace Grunts goggles, wired with steel wire to a mesh lower face mask.  The wire is similar to what a florist might use.  You can run the combo without wiring them together, but I took a BB to the bridge of the nose through a gap that was only as wide as the BB.  1 in a million shot, but man did it hurt, and split the skin right open.  Lots of blood, kind of impressive, considering it was such a small wound.  All of this is attached to a helmet with arc rail clips and elastic "ladder" straps.  

My son runs the same set up with his sports glasses underneath.  The glasses will fog before the Grunts will.  

gallery_1667_175_435.jpg

I also recommend picking up a shemagh to protect your neck.  

The helmet is a replica MICH 2001 from Amazon:  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011XU81D8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced the straps with Marine issue,and the padding with Army issue pads, probably both can be found at surplus.  

• Like 1

So I got a gun case, a vest, a dye i4 mask and a helmet, a kwa km4 kr5. Man it shoots great and is a lot of fun. I had to raise the sights and will have to dial that it. I painted the sights for better contrast.

Now I just need to focus on preventing fogging as I run warm and sweat a lot. I was looking to get a fan for the mask and use some cat poo to help the lenses. If I can't find a solution I guess I will have to get some contacts.

The gun is a lot more fun than the firehawk and I'm glad it's full metal. It is heavy though and 3 hours of play was taxing. I like that.

Next on the list is a tracer and or light.

Than either a second rifle, assault longer range, or pistol.

• Like 2

Great choice on the KWA.  I had to get a 3/4 inch picatinny riser to mount my sight on.  When you're wearing goggles and a mask, you can't quite get your cheek down to the weld as you need to.  The only way I have been able to control fogging is to keep moving, even a little bit.  Not sure about the cat poo, but I've tried several antifog products including good stuff that scuba divers swear by.  Keep moving.  A fan would help, and I've never tried that.  

Before my current chest rig, I had a standard single point sling, probably from condor.  My current chest rig is a CIRAS style with the single point sling integrated into the shoulder straps. Helps redistribute the weight and lets you move the rifle out of the way but still keep it at the ready.  

Kind of like this, but not this make:

main.jpeg

My Krytac is full metal, and I love it.  It may pick up scratches that a polymer body wouldn't but that's character!

My first pistol was a WE-Tek 1911 'Green gas' pistol, and my current Elite Force 1911 is CO2.  The CO2 kicks harder and 'feels' better.  The CO2 cartridges increase the cost.  I get 2-3 magazines of ammo per cartridge change.

My first tracer unit was a "cheap one" and it died.  My G&G has been rocking for years.

• Like 1

Glasses are a pain in the butt while wearing a mask. I had to get contacts because I was tired of fighting my glasses inside the mask and fogging. Plus if you get contacts,  you can wear them in the rain and not worry about your glasses.  Fans are loud and put extra weight on your mask, which may lead to the mask slipping down.  If you can, borrow a fan at first and see how it works with you while playing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...