MtO - Dec 26th

pretre

Wow. So is this GW's way to regulate the prices on ebay? None of these are uncommon models to buy used. Definitely neat to see, especialy if you want a bunch of a given model, but kinda meh. I think I own half of those models, many in duplicates. The only issue I see with GW re-releasing these is that EBAY sellers will adjust their prices to match whatever GW is selling them for, so my ebay costs are going to go up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lol the eBay conspiracy theory is the best. GW is totally doing this to affect prices, just not eBay prices.

That, and probably to renew copyrights. 

Though, wow, the prices on these are incredible. $20 without shipping for a guy I paid less than $10 for with shipping. Yeah, I think GW's realised that their current models are competeing with their old models, so the best solution is to raise the resale value of their old models via these limited batches of re-releases. 

As a guy that likes being the only guy at the table with the older models, this is kinda horrifying....

Though, wow, the prices on these are incredible. $20 without shipping for a guy I paid less than $10 for with shipping. Yeah, I think GW's realised that their current models are competeing with their old models, so the best solution is to raise the resale value of their old models via these limited batches of re-releases. 

Double wot?

The whole thing really. I understand the sentences. I am just unsure how someone thinks those might be accurate statements.

Difficult for me to describe, but I'll try.

GW sells 40k models for their game, 40k. They gain revenue based on the initial sale of their products. If knock-offs are made by another company, they have to stop them, or they'll lose money. However, 40k's been around for a long while and there are now enough used 40k models where GW is actually competing with itself, used vs new. Unlike knock offs, GW can't really go after the resalers of their own used products. 

So now each new GW set is compared to the old GW sets, in terms of cost. If a newer model is more expensive than an older model, the two can compete for sales on that end. This wouldn't be a big deal, except GW isn't gaining any money on the sale of used items, just on the sale of the new ones. So, in essesence, Modern GW is competing with Past GW. 

Since the used models are sold by third parties whom regulate their prices based on the market value for similar items, GW can indirectly affect the prices of resales of older models by creating limited re-releases of those same older models. This makes the prices of the new GW sets become more compeditive with the used model prices, which should make people more willing to buy new sets, instead of buying older models. 

As for the comment regarding copyright, I'm not sure how it works in this case, but I know that some copyright/patent law requires the company to continue to use their item in order to retain copyright/patent of it. They may have to continue to cast things in order to retain their ownship over that design. 

Difficult for me to describe, but I'll try.

GW sells 40k models for their game, 40k. They gain revenue based on the initial sale of their products. If knock-offs are made by another company, they have to stop them, or they'll lose money. However, 40k's been around for a long while and there are now enough used 40k models where GW is actually competing with itself, used vs new. Unlike knock offs, GW can't really go after the resalers of their own used products. 

So now each new GW set is compared to the old GW sets, in terms of cost. If a newer model is more expensive than an older model, the two can compete for sales on that end. This wouldn't be a big deal, except GW isn't gaining any money on the sale of used items, just on the sale of the new ones. So, in essesence, Modern GW is competing with Past GW. 

Since the used models are sold by third parties whom regulate their prices based on the market value for similar items, GW can indirectly affect the prices of resales of older models by creating limited re-releases of those same older models. This makes the prices of the new GW sets become more compeditive with the used model prices, which should make people more willing to buy new sets, instead of buying older models. 

As for the comment regarding copyright, I'm not sure how it works in this case, but I know that some copyright/patent law requires the company to continue to use their item in order to retain copyright/patent of it. They may have to continue to cast things in order to retain their ownship over that design. 

As someone who sells a lot of models, this is all just wrong.

Them re-releasing old models generally brings prices down for the older, OOP models. Yes, they get sales they wouldn't get otherwise, but it also doesn't decrease the amount of models in the wild. It doesn't make the models more competitive with newer models. It just makes them available.

Also, if you don't know about copyright, perhaps speculating about it isn't the best idea. Maybe some research?

• Like 1

The law you're referencing isn't for copyright or patents.  It's for publishing rights.  Copyright is a fixed amount of time (dependent on the country) beginning when the work is created. When a creator registers the work with the Copyright office it's a notification of the creation, this makes it possible to defend the work in court from theft.  The secondary selling of genuine legally produced physical goods isn't influenced by the status of the copyright.  

I learned copyright through my photography business. 

• Like 3

Also, if you don't know about copyright, perhaps speculating about it isn't the best idea. Maybe some research?

Even with research, it would still be speculation. Just more educated speculation. If I speculate, am determined wrong, and how I'm wrong is explained, then I gain from the encounter. And if I'm right, that could be good too, though there is more to be learned in failure, I've often noted. 

Even with research, it would still be speculation. Just more educated speculation. If I speculate, am determined wrong, and how I'm wrong is explained, then I gain from the encounter. And if I'm right, that could be good too, though there is more to be learned in failure, I've often noted. 

Well, if you scroll up, you have already been proved wrong. So hopefully you gained from this encounter.

That being said, simply throwing out a hypothesis without any real fact behind it and waiting for someone else to prove you wrong is a bad idea. For example: Pax is actually a flesh robot run by tiny insects from Mars.

I'm going to go with that until someone proves me wrong despite the lack of any supporting facts or even supposition.

• Like 1