Picking up fantasy

Hey all,

Newer player of 40k here, considering fantasy once I get a majority of my 40k painted. Looks like a fun game with a healthy player base at Dark Tower.

To the short of it though: Thinking of fielding Warriors of Chaos, Empire, or perhaps Dark Elves, based on aesthetics and theme mostly.

WoC: I'm a big fan of elite heavy infantry and Vikings.

Empire: Like the idea of a core of disciplined army regulars, esp. when contrasted with militia or rabble like enemies. Moustaches.

Dark Elves: Black Guard, cold one knights, sleek armor

Anyone feel like weighing in with their experiences with any of these armies?

Much appreciated.

Warriors, lacking shooting, may seem more straight-forward than Empire and Dark Elves.  Tough characters, variety of troops - expensive though so you'll have a smaller, more compact army.

Empire has some fantastic shooting (great cannons) and lots of fun and flavorful unit choices.  Characters will be less powerful individually, but work well to support their troops.  Empire does everything pretty good so you'll have something to do in every phase.  Plus, epic mustaches

The Empire is as Swan of War said, good at every phase with good support. Their Warmachines are also deadly beyond belief. And +1 AS core Knights. The Mustaches are epic.

The Dark Elves are a fineness army that hits fast and hard. It is considered one of if not the best army out there. The units are almost all elites and are not cheap to field but can tear through a lot. Just keep in mind if you field lots of witch elves with a CoB and a Warlock bus with heros filling the front rank you will get raised eyebrows and not many people wanting to play you. Beautiful models but maybe not the best army for learning the game, they break a lot of the rules from the BRB with their army rules.

Hey all,

Newer player of 40k here, considering fantasy once I get a majority of my 40k painted. Looks like a fun game with a healthy player base at Dark Tower.

To the short of it though: Thinking of fielding Warriors of Chaos, Empire, or perhaps Dark Elves, based on aesthetics and theme mostly.

WoC: I'm a big fan of elite heavy infantry and Vikings.

Empire: Like the idea of a core of disciplined army regulars, esp. when contrasted with militia or rabble like enemies. Moustaches.

Dark Elves: Black Guard, cold one knights, sleek armor

Anyone feel like weighing in with their experiences with any of these armies?

Much appreciated.

As a Dark Elf general, I will tell you, black guard don't get the job done when you need them to.  They just dont, and it's sad, I know.  However, what they are good at is holding a unit in place so you can counter charge.  Cold one knights are simply amazing.  As for hard hitting, not so much.  They hit, but most of their stuff is S3 or 4.  If you do want a unit that hits hard, and want infantry, I would strongly suggest testing out executioneers.

I also played Empire for nearly 4 years exclusively.  They are a love hate relationship.  The state troops need lots of support and oddly enough their knights need it to.  The major bonus for playing Empire is that you have a ton of options at your disposal.  You can go many many ways with an Empire army.  It really depends on what your main goal is for the army.  Just know that if you have any unit, outside the demis and steam tank, which you design for combat that they will need support from a character or two.

How much time are you willing to invest into the play style of the army?

Empire for example has a pretty steep learning curve, but once you know what you can and can't do, games become more mechanical and easier to manage.

Dark Elves while powerful, require a bit of finesse to really make them the force that everyone fears. Unless you go for the "Net List De Jour" they can be relatively fragile and take a good amount of time to learn. Once you do though, they're a terror to play.

Chaos warriors are interesting. At their heart, they're simple to pickup as the goal is to run forward and smash face. However once you encounter better players that won't work and then you'll have to adapt to learn more about attack paths, when and when not to attack something in a leadership bubble (General + BSB), how to exploit units out of formation, etc. You don't have something to do in every phase but I think as a first army they're a good one. They give you something fun to learn the game with and then something that requires more advanced tactics against higher end players and thus can grow with you until you're ready for something else.

Thanks all. That was a good variety of answers but I'm seeing some common themes here. It looks like it's going to be a tough call. I'm still pretty split but can make a more informed decision weighing up gameplay alongside aesthetics.

It may be sound to get the BRB at least and codices first, even though it's of course more fun to get models and start painting up. (I do have three WoC painted, not quite a raiding party)

I guess this will depend more on my local players, but is there a good points level to aim for and learn a bit below what seems to be the standard at 2500?

Well it hasn't been mentioned here yet so I am going to warn you 9th is coming next summer and there appears to be a big sback up in the army structures. We know the Undead are going to be combined and the Chaos factions (WoC, DoC and Beastmen) are going to be combined. The Armies of Man and Elves are still an unknown as to how they will look. (They both are getting a serrious beating in the End Times but I see some possible interesting new heros rising. Also they are the biggest threats to the Chaos Gods and Nagash, hences the all out assualt.)

So keep in mind that there is going to be a shake up.