How to start AoS?

Welcome to AoS Brother G. if you want a game just let me know. I assume you know about the AoS app as well it has all of the warscrolls and basic rules for the game, they are all free. Army specific special rules are contained within the Battletomb and in some cases inside GH2017. Also pretty much everyone is playing matched play typically at 2000p.

What army did you end up picking up?

15 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

What time on Sunday? I might be able to. I picked up the techno-dwarf army. I still need to get the book for them. So not sure how many points I have yet.

Points are easy. Here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/ 

If going tech-dwarves, note that the Grundstok Thunderers got a pretty substancial change in General's handbook 2017 and the version found in the army book (and on the website) is no longer legal. 

22 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Pax, you need to explain. I see thunderers in the book as 5 for 100, the armybuilder has 5 for 100, and the 2017 General's book has them 5 for 100. So what are you talking about?

The warscrolls in the book,at release were faqd shortly after with a few recieving major changes,the thunderers were heavily nerfed.Use the current scrolls on the app or from the GW site.

I have the original book and not sure if there has been a reprint on it yet,,even the unit cards for the release are useless now.

For KOs, the current competative build is the Party Boat,,Endrin troops all loaded onto a Ironclad using Zilfin skyport,,drop them mid board turn one and shoot the opponents critical units/heros off the board.

23 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Pax, you need to explain. I see thunderers in the book as 5 for 100, the armybuilder has 5 for 100, and the 2017 General's book has them 5 for 100. So what are you talking about?

If you read the description at the top in General's Handbook 2017, it explains. But I can explain:

Grundstok Thunderers are a special weapon unit that includes 1 of each type of special weapon per set of 5. Players online were complaining that it was far too expensive to purchase additional Grundstok kits in order to make a single unit with matching weapons. So GW rewrote their rules. Now players can only take 1 of each weapon type per 5 models in the squad. Not exactly the solution players were hoping for. They also changed what several of the weapons do, significantly reducing the range on some, so all the Grundstok weapons are closer to the same range.

11 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

What the [big bad swear word]?? So then the models I just got are mostly useless. Well that would have been great to know.

No, you just have to reorganize the unit from what I had them listed as.

You got 10 Aethershot, 1 Mortar, 4 Deck Sweepers, 4 Aether Cannons, 1 Sgt.

Squad 1: Mortar, Deck Sweep, Cannon, 2 Aethershot

Squad 2: Deck, AetherCan, , 3 Aethershot

Squad 3: Deck, AetherCan, , 3 Aethershot

Squad 4: Deck, Aether Can, 2 Aethershot, Sgt

kOVsL2L.jpg

21 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Oooooooooooooh, I see now. Well that makes me feel better. Crisis averted.

Sorry, didn't mean to induce panick. 

Current rules are fine, and it really isn't a nerf if you haven't played with the old version. The change is that the unit's role is different now and that can be upsetting to players. They were able to be a backfield support unit before, and now they lack the range to be a backfield unit. 

I just thought I should mention it before you fell in love with the old version...

2 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Why are the saves so low on the vehicles? Yes, they have higher HP, but it doesn't seem too hard to bring them down.

Saves aren't very high on anything in AoS. 4+ is what 3+ is to 40k. Regarding Khadron Overlords specifically, I think they are trying to avoid turning AoS into 40k entirely and want the transports to only be transports, not mobile fortresses that the dwarves never leave. As is, you'd use the transports to get places, but they won't survive at close range to the enemy. 

I got in a game vs Jay with my kharadron. Those guys are nasty. The ironclad is a beast that is not to be underestimated. But pretty much shooting all over the place was fairly effective. They are definitely dependent upon their transports. It gives them a great shot at going first which gives them the chance to focus fire priority targets. No real dedicated hth units that I would want to invest in. My only concern would be how fast opponents would get tired of going up against them. Expense is going to keep the options down for this army. As much as I think the balloon guys are cool, not dropping $40/3 to build up squads. Ugh.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

As much as I think the balloon guys are cool, not dropping $40/3 to build up squads. Ugh.

Well, they are in the getting started set now: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Start-Collecting-Kharadron-Overlords-2018 Even if you don't plan to get the set, it means that you can probably get them cheaper via resellers that are just opening the box and re-selling. Could also just ask in the rogue trading section, if anyone wants to split a set. 

As an aside, Kharadron Overlords infantry models make excellent Dwarf characters in light armor for Pathfinder/starfinder and other games. Far too few of such models on the market. So if you end up going the "split a set" route, I'd certainly consider buying 1 or 2 of the models off you, just for those light infantry bodies.