March to War III - March 2nd & 3rd @ Guardian Games

On 3/5/2019 at 2:50 PM, TheBeninator said:

It is not in stone yet, but Kenyon said it would be either 7-8 or 14-15 of December.

Kenyon has offered up his place to stay at. Not sure if it would accommodate 5, but its a partial option.

10.5 hour drive

18 hour train ride on Amtrak ($75 each way). 18 HR on a train is a tad much...

18 hours on a train sucks! But does it suck worse than 11 hours in a car with 5 people? Hmmm...

2 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

18 hours on a train sucks! But does it suck worse than 11 hours in a car with 5 people? Hmmm...

By Car:

635 miles * 2(round trip) = 1270 miles. Likely it would be 2 vehicles, each probably getting no better than 30 MPG. which is 42.3 gallons per vehicle.

So that's 42.3 gal * 2 cars * 3.20 USD/gal = $271 / 5 people = $54 bucks a person on average. Advantage to having wheels in SF, total transit time = 21 hours (round trip)

By Train:

Cost is fixed $150 round trip per person. Time is fixed, adding 1 hour of "boarding, getting to station) we are looking at 37 hours of travel.

By Plane:

Looks like you can get non-stop flights to/from for about $250. Factoring in going to the airport and all that jazz, that's like 4 hours per flight, or 8 hours total.

I suppose if you could get a table on the train (which is totally possible) we could have a round robin tournament of T9A on the way down.

That would be epic...

On 3/7/2019 at 5:43 PM, valourunbound said:

Don't forget the disadvantage of driving: parking a car in SF.

What about lodging?

Well Kenyon (the TO for SF) told me he has space available at his house. I have a friend form college who has a house there, but probably not much room. My brother will also be living in SF at that point, but again, no idea if he would have space to accommodate.

I'd guess we could find lodging in Oakland for a "reasonable" price. 

@Andrewgeddon expressed some interest in the train option. It is a long day of travel, but if we come prepared with stuff to do, then we can make the time fly (10mm T9A!!!). Or Axis and Allies 😄

• Like 1