TJP's Warriors of Chaos - Cleanup, repaint, new color scheme

TJP

I made a display board for my OFCC '11 force. It's not terrible, but it's chipped and has bare spots for the units I had then, so it doesn't fit what I am running now.

gallery_1107_26_636678.jpg

I want to make something more dynamic, dramatic, and general-use for my force. First step: planning on a big sheet of freezer paper (cause I had it).

gallery_1107_26_1863247.jpg

7 layers of foam, rough-carved with a knife and a hot-wire cutter.

gallery_1107_26_131455.jpg

The layers are just together with toothpicks while I carved, since a small hot-sire cutter don't handle large surfaces or concaves very well. I have since glued them together and I'm ready for the final carving and sanding.

There's a big pool of lava at the top behind the rim, with two flows heading down the hill between units. I plan on carving out the flows with a soldering iron (and a fan, so I don't poison myself too bad with plastic fumes). Most of the surfaces will be covered with a layer of sand to match my unit bases, with only the steepest parts of rocks not sanded, I got some neat thin shards of foam from the first cutting and I plan on using some of them to jut from the surface - they are textured perfectly for obsidian. I'll likely not attach them and instead put them on bases so they can be used as scenery or be moved around to fill blank spots in the display with different armies. A section of the front edge will be sanded flat at an angle and a couple of magnets embedded, so I can put a metal-backed nametag on - I have some tin left over from making unit trays that I can snip into shape and then modge-podge a printed tag onto.

The design has some big flat (well, sloped but can put a unit on it) areas, some prominences to show off the centerpiece models, It's 14" tall, and 18x28" overall. The initial stack used about half of a 4x8' sheet of 2" foam (a lot of which, of course, gets carved off in the slopes), and it can't weigh more than about a pound. Of course, sand and paint will add some weight to it, but it will still likely be lighter than my current board which has a 1/4" pressboard bottom.

• 6 months later...

Updates! Finally!

Working on the display board again.

med_gallery_1107_26_1913082.jpg

All carved up, sanded, and starting to paint. Beware the terrifying pink lava!

med_gallery_1107_26_686828.jpg

White followed by yellow to get a nice solid base for the hottest of the lava.

med_gallery_1107_26_1697578.jpg

Heavy drybrush with orange, followed by a lighter one of dark red as it gets cooler and cooler. Kinda looks like butt, but one the black edges are cleaned up it'll be great.

med_gallery_1107_26_3008426.jpg

Hot lava or DELICIOUS FROSTING???

med_gallery_1107_26_490191.jpg

Edges all cleaned up, and it looks much better. The original black has been overcoated with a dark grey to match my basing scheme (and to get rid of the lingering pink in spots). Next up: once it's dry, hit the sanded parts with drybrush of medium grey (again to match the ashy basing scheme I have) and add a fancy label.

• Like 1

Busted out the Phat GIMP Skillz (not really) to make a nameplate for the army. I'm going to put two craft magnets in the front of the display board, then cut a metal plate to stick there. I will modge-podge the printout of my nameplate to the metal. Should look decent...

gallery_1107_26_22142.jpg

• 1 month later...

The OFCC list is nearly painted, at least to a basecoat. The dragon is done, as well as the repaint of the BSB - I'll get some pictures up soon.

After OFCC, if I can, I want to work on kitbashing a new warshrine model. As said before, I think I'd like to get a Stonehorn with the Shrine on top. For extra awesomeness, I just realized that I can put Hrothgar Daemonaxe (the guy above holding up an elf) as the Shrinemaster, appraising his next sacrifice. Also, I think I can magnetize the Mark symbols by putting a Chaos Marauder shield on the back of where they go, with a magnet in the center, and then a magnet on the back of each symbol, as well as a second '8-pointed star' marauder shield for an unmarked shrine.

Expensive, but it'll be epic. I will, of course, be painting the Stonehorn skin-colored, in my ongoing theme of 'stuff that should not be flesh is flesh', with the red-brown fur that trims the infantry's capes.

Other than that, I still have the Manticore to paint, as well as the Sorcerer from that kit, and lots of stuff in the bits-box, as well as a bunch of halberd warriors that are still red...

I'm officially tournament legal for OFCC - everything is based and washed at a minimum. Going to spend the rest of the week leading up to the event trying to brighten up the Chaos Warriors - they are far less work than the second unit of Hellstriders, which is the only other thing that is just based/washed at the moment, so it'll be much more bang for the buck.