En Media Res — DM / Player opinions

Torg

In my current RPG group I have been the DM for the current campaign (clockwork/steampunk 3.5 d&d)… Anyhow, after a short 3 session beginning story arc we launched into the start of the next and big story arc last session.  My current thinking is to now leap forward into things… but after discussing this thought with one of the players (long time friend) he was uneasy about it being a railroad.  I tend to agree to a point.  But I really have a idea that I would like to try with the group to help curtail the 1+ hour at the start of each session of chit chat.  

In this case… in the last session we ended with the party on an "away mission" from their airship… they are on a clockwork floating city of sorts… its full of automaton workers and clockwork creatures.  … they made their way to a door into the "inner" area of the city.  At the last session the party was standing at this door - ready to go in - and that is where we decided to break.

My thought is to run things forward … and start off with the party "running and tired" for the last 8 hours… being chased through the maze that is the clockwork city.  I would not fill in the backstory - I would allow for player flashbacks - and fill in the gaps through playing those flashbacks out.  Anyhow, its all very fluid (its generally the way I DM).  My main point is to ratchet up the action - and stress the tension to kick off the session with a bang… and to get all the players into the session at the get go.  I figured I would try it out for a session and see how it works out.  My thought would be to have the en media res resolved by the end of the session just in case it is a disaster.

--- back to my question - My friend (whom is sometimes grumpy and usually not speaking for the group) seemed to be put off by the idea.  But I don't find him to be a good judge of the rest of the players opinions.  That is backed up by things that have happened over the last year or so of gaming with this group lol.  I was wondering if anyone else tried this - or if players had some opinions.  As a player I can see his points - but I think if I allow the flashbacks to be basically player directed I think its ok.  But I may have my blinders on lol.

=-d

I really like your idea...and would think it would be fun to play.

At first as a player I'd be like "WTF...why is this happening" but I think as soon as you got to the first "flashback" and played through it, then the players would totally get it and be on board.

I read a long time ago regarding GM'ing that starting the session out with Action is a great thing.

my friend was thinking… why would we run?  I figured … details…details… i will just fill that in on flashbacks lol.

… this begs the next question that comes to mind…  I had thought about reducing the party's hit points by maybe 10-15%… and ammo… to allow for some reasoning as to the running fights along the way.  To me that seems logical - but as a player I may be annoyed lol.  but then again the party has bandages and a healer lol.  Not like I am taking charges away from their exotic or artifacts (if they have them).

-d

Well i would ake sure they all bring two copies of their character sheets. One so they can play flash backs with what their. Haracter previosuly had. One that you modify for the reduced hit points and ammo.

To support the running idea i would take more than 10% of their health. Leave them with 10-20% of their health. As for flashbacks you should make them roll a will save, if they fail they succomb to fatigue and let memories over take them.

Well in most campains players dont ever think to run away or there is always someone who is a gung ho fighter/has a martial honor code/super reckless, so reallyif they sre only down 10% those people either

A) wont run and would go down dying

B) have to be knocked out (which a party once did to a samurai)

C) have extreme cercumstances.

Also what i might do is seperate the party. For example start off by saying, we will start with player A.... Your chest heaves as you run, your sword slippery in your hand from a mixture of your own blood, sweat and some vile green liquid (maybe the oil that runs a machine or some enemy), you blindly round a corner and dash headlong into something. Make a strength check. If they succed they bowl over another player and are grappled and has to make a will save against fear to not make a base attack against the other player and you have two players working together to find others. If he fails he falls to the ground.

You'll have to have a reason for them to run away. Monsters/adversaries are usually not enough to make a party run away. In most cases they are reasons for the party to stay and fight.

Alarms blaring and a self destruct countdown with the only button to stop it 30+decks up in the control room on the other hand while being harried by defense batteries/automatons is a reason to run.

I'm sure you have the reason they are running in your head, and through the flashbacks you can introduce why they are running away, but consider if you were a player in the situation, what would make you run over staying and fighting or figuring out things. That it seems is the key in this situation.

Also consider what your players would run away from instead of fighting. And if one of your players is so stubborn as to want to stay in the situation then let em. start pulling out the character gen material and laying it in front of him... That should be motivation one way or another. lol

Ohh, and I'm all for reducing some resources. with the caveat that the party should get some payback for the loss later.

In Numenera this would be a simple GM intrusion that would award each player in the party a XP point or perhaps 2-3 if its a major intrusion (IE down from full hp to say 20% with limited ammo from full and limited healing from full)  To let you know in Numenera 4 xp is enough to get you 1 upgrade from a list and you need 4 upgrades to go up a tier (level).