1st Tyranid Force

Lord Hanaur

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Skyslashers?

I read your reasoning, but I think you overestimate their value.

+ 1

I like the rest of the list, but sky slashers aren't scary, they are just a tarpit, just hit them with a throw away unit and shoot everything else.

Inflitrating genestealers might be less durable but would offer more.

A list I want to try for fun, as it would only against a small niche of lists is 2k double force 10 broods of genestealers with lord 1300 points as the core.

Add lictors and flyrant. Infilitrate whole army. Starting 18"-12" from enemy, with 10 horror, can shut down infantry shooting and allow the army to rush in hard. I just wish deathleaper was synapse.

I'll be interested to see how the SkySlashers work out. It's exactly the same cost for as many wounds worth of Gargoyles, which would make a better screen in some ways, but wouldn't soak high-Strength firepower like you're hoping.

In the same vein, I've seen a lot of people talking theory about using Stealers like that, but haven't seen any BatReps with them. Curious to see how that actually works out.

I'm kind of hesitant on having just one FMC, too. In my experience, that pretty much makes him a target. Similarly with Swarmy walking around with no Guard.

Hive Guard and Biovores are excellent. Both kinds of 'Thrope are solid here. I like the plan with the Gaunts and Tärv, but the Miasma Cannon might be worth considering for the Tärv. Provides two pretty nasty Templates when Outflanking, and gives you a longer-ranged option if you end up on the wrong side against a Refused Flank.

I just played against this list. I think there really is some room for improvement. The skyslashers really didn't do anything and I think the Swarmlord isn't a good fit. The mawloc was the star of the show. That guy hurts the back field. Also the broodlords did some good work pinning my assault squads a couple of times and then eating one of them in combat. In the end Mephiston won me the game fighting his way through shadows of the warp. The 30 gaunt squad was also impressive.

• Like 1

Note:  Dan played you, not I.  I unfortunately didn't get to see this matchup.  Did you batrep it or not?

We originally had two mawlocs in the list and I fought hard to keep it that way.  Love that unit.

Gargoyles have been suggested in multiple forums and I have agreed multiple times to their usefulness there.  If I was totally 100% confident that there was enough Synapse in enough range most of the time, I'd have preferred it as well.  I suppose its something that will bear testing also.  Skyslashers ignore bad terrain in the movement phase and they are fearless without Synapse which was attractive.  Tarpiting was all we envisioned them doing.  Super units like mephiston need a speed bump.

I understand that Mephiston was the star from what Dan told me and really...  I mean... come on.  That guy is just BROKE against some forces.  He's got his bad days I am sure but not many.  I hate Mephiston and dont mind saying hes the only guy I just cant stand in 40K.  Doesn't even matter what force i field against him, which says a lot on its own.  He';s single-handedly bested a lot of armies unfortunately and isn't that fun to play against.  I endure him only because I think that his codex would be lost without him.  But it does have him so...far from lost!  Still, I'll never like that models rules.  Really super ridiculous.  I really think he will get nerfed and HARD in the next codex.  Until then, well it is what it is.

On the plus side, I think that it was good that the Tyranids got to play against 30 Assault marines and a big IG blob list like that, led by such a capable powerhouse.  I think it is good for the army to get put through its paces.  helped me develop my Chaos list a lot further.  I expect similar things to happen here.

• Like 1