Dwarf 2.5k list

Ok, I've been playing with points and reading the book again and again.  Here is a list I would love to try out sometime:

Lord w/shield, shield bearers, rune of parrying, 2 runes of fortitude, rune of iron

Thane w/bsb, shield, master rune of grungni

Runesmith w/shield, rune of spellbreaking

Runesmith w/shield, 2 runes of spellbreaking

25 Longbeards w/musician, standard bearer, shields

25 Longbeards w/musician, standard bearer, shields

30 Hammerers w/musician, standard bearer, master rune of valaya

20 Miners

Cannon

Flame Cannon

15 Rangers

Why the drastic changes?

1) I get +4 to dispel attempts, and I get to automatically try and stop remains in plays spells on a 3+ without burning any dispel dice

2) I get a 4+ ward on my thane and a 5+ ward to a unit or two from shooting and magic

3) I have a solid combat block with the hammeres, while the longbeards can countercharge or hold a unit where needed

4) I get a scout unit with great weapons and S4 crossbows

5) I also get a solid unit with ambushers holding great weapons.

6) After seeing how the flame cannon works....yeah, love it!

The plan is to obviously have a very strong center and I can place the war machines safely behind my lines.  I will get a scouts move with a solid unit who can flank charge or just pick off chaff.  Then my opponent still needs to think about the miners.  A rear charge with that unit could be devestating.  I like this list because it's not the gunline I originally had.  I think this will be more fun to play.

No shield or GW for the longbeards? The indignity!

Master rune of Valaya is good but unnecessary, I think. The remains in play thing is almost moot since you can just throw all your power dice at the RiP in your magic phase. So the only thing you're really paying for is +2 to dispel. With two scrolls, you'll be able to mostly keep a lid on the magic phases, just make sure you attack a wizard hard and quickly to try to snuff out their magic before you run out of scrolls.

Personally, I just think runes of slowness and/or Strollaz' open up tactical options that otherwise wouldn't be available. I prefer them to Valaya's

Points adjusted for shields on the longbeards

I am a HUGE fan of Valaya.  I think it is very neccessary with all the level 2-4 wizard running around.  Getting a +4 to dispel is huge, IMO.  Also, the banner pretty much gives you 2 chances to dispel remains in play spells.  Once on a 3+ from the rune special rule, then you can use your dice if needed.  Rolling a 3+ is much much better than needed a 12+.

Trust me, I love those two runes on a banner; however, the valaya is just to clutch.  It does depend on the meta in your location though.  I play lots of games against strong magic phases and in a tournament setting this banner will always pay for itself.

Sounds like you have the magic situation under control then.  I see the banner used in this way.  Enemy casts a remains in play spell that will have little effect on the initial casting and they roll high enough that I don't have enough dispel dice to stop it.  On my turn I can attempt to end it on a 3+ and if that fails I get to attempt a roll at the base casting value.  I'm using it for utility really.  I really like have +4 to dispel attempts rather than +4.  It means I can throw less dice at my dispel attempts.  There is nothing worse that sitting with 4-6 dice while they have 9+ casting dice.

I can spam 3 spells with an average casting value of 15, with 7-9 power dice, when using my supreme sorceress casting dark magic.  If I get that low roll for winds of magic of say 7 or less and I don't roll high on the dice to determine the dispel dice, it's hard to shut down that magic with only a +2 to dispel.  Your opponent most likely is already on top by +2.  Without a rune or scroll, you may shut down 1 spell if you toss all your dice.

If what you are using is working, stick to it.  I'm just basing these choices around what I consitantly see on the table and the armies I currently fight.

Ok, I know this a bit redundent; however, I'm trying to get a product I want to start purchasing.  Here is the 3rd update:

Thane w/bsb, shield, master rune of grungi

Runesmith w/shield, rune of stone, sune of spellbreaking

10 Quarrellers w/standard, great weapons

25 Longbeards w/musician, standard, shields

25 Longbeards w/musician, standard, shields

30 Hammerers w/musician, standard, master rune of valaya

20 Miners w/standard

Cannon

Cannon

Grude Thrower w/rune of accuracy

Flame Cannon

10 Irondrakes w/standard, rune of slowness

Ok, this lists does a lot of shooting, can still shut down magic, and can still smash face in close combat.  How does this all tie together?

The quarrellers are the bunker for my runesmith (he's the general).  They also get armour piercing for their crossbows.  I have 2 cannons to worry about high toughness monsters and to help with monstrous infantry or monstrous cavalry.  The grudge thrower is there to help reduce the numbers of large combat blocks.  The flame cannon, well, that's pretty self-explanitory.  It can either start the end for anything with regen or just pump out a bunch of S5 AP shots on a unti.  The irondrakes are a choice I had to really battle plan in my head.

Since I can use my quarrellers to protect my war machines in a corner, as well as the miners if someone dedicates a larger than normal unit to them, I can then deploy the irondrakes at the furthest they can deploy.  I put them in a single rank, and let them start shooting at stuff.  I could use them to start putting wounds onto regen stuff, which now opens up killy killy for my war machine.  I could hopefully force some long charges for my opponent, stand and shoot, take away D6" from their movement, shoot at them again, and then flee to safety behind my combat blocks.  I like the dirty tricks they can pull off.

I think this is finally the final version, and I can start forking over the hard earned cabbage as they say, which means I can now start the purchasing process.

The reason is that one(or more) turns of lost support attacks. Big difference from 40 attacks to ten.

I do however like the list, I just wish the units were a little bigger each.

If you are only hit on one side, you'll make your LD 10 reform.  Then it's killy time.

I've already changed the list.  I dropped some things and added more toys.

If you are only hit on one side, you'll make your LD 10 reform. Then it's killy time.

I've already changed the list. I dropped some things and added more toys.

I agree, with swift reforms one unit one cut it, but two certainly will make it difficult.

Not saying.its not valid but not one I would count on.