Thanks to Dagna I have 2 Valks and some soldiers, now what?

JamesBeadle

So I have 18 headless, armless bodies from the dreamforge line, two valkyries, and five plasma guns because Dagna is a very cool guy. I also have coming to me in the mail one box of 20 Dreamforge Stormtroopers and the stormtrooper assessories kit. With the Two Valkyries this is the core of my IG allies for my GK army. I'd like to get three chimeras too.

I am thinking of getting one more set of 20 Stormtroops. Maybe.

Anyhow, with the things I have, I am thinking of this and am looking for some input on how to build out the models.

I'm thinking the first 20 model kit will just be two standard squads, sergents with chainswords and laspistols, and a missile launcher/flamer loadout. These can also double as Imperial Stormtroops wiht thier hot lasguns and such as needed. 

Out of the assessories kit + 18 torsos I will build a platoon command squad with a Sergent and two missle launcher teams to be held back field for sniping. 

Out of the assessories kit + 18 I will build a HQ command squad with a company commander w/ plas pistol, and 4 vets with plasguns. Then I will trade for three more plasguns and build three more guys wit them so that I can make two vet squads with 4 plasguns if I wish.

Does this make sense? Do I need the second box of Dreamforge models for the option to make another platoon?

I like Junior Command Squads with Plasma as it is a quick force that will fit into any transport. For Infantry Squads I recommend the Autocannon and flamer route. Putting those into Chimeras gives you a lot of stand off flexibility. As for Veterans, I love demo vets still. Sarge with Shotgun, 3 Meltas, 1 Demo Charge/shotgun, 5 shotgun vets. The shotguns give them assault flexibility and doesn't prevent them from charging a unit after shooting.

And if nobody has told you to take Guardsman Marbo yet...........take a Marbo. He is 65 points of pure fun/win. If he does it right, it is awesome. If he scatters his demo charge back on himself, it is stil awesome. Albeit less effective.

• Like 1

I prefer my Platoon Command Squads with Flamers (or occasionally Meltaguns), and the Plasmaguns in my Company Command Squad or a Combined Platoon that I'm planning on using Bring It Down or Prescience on a lot. I'd also note that a Command Squad can only take one Heavy Weapon, you can't double up on that option.

The Autocannon is definitely my Heavy Weapon of choice for Guard. Nice and cheap, and even in 6th, there are a lot of situations where that extra shot is worth more than the extra S and AP on the Missile Launcher.

Everything Chappy said is solid, too.

And if nobody has told you to take Guardsman Marbo yet...........take a Marbo. He is 65 points of pure fun/win. If he does it right, it is awesome. If he scatters his demo charge back on himself, it is stil awesome. Albeit less effective.

I've found marbo to be amazing in the fact that he always fails me when I need him the most...He's amazing when he's amazing and he's cheap, no question, but I stopped bringing mine and don't regret it.

I have been considering Melta terms of stormtroopers, for the DS with re-roll against the super-heavy/massive building threat, but so spendy....

-Pax

If you're just starting this project here is my advise. 

Magnets!!!!

With one to two sets of magnets per Spc. Weap. trooper you can have all the options.  Or at least room to expand when the new dex drops soon.  Same for the Valk.  A valk is good, but if you magnetize the weapon mounts you could have a Valk/Detta combo that you can have either way.  It's more initial investment, but it pays off big in the long run, trust me.  I've done two Dettas with magnetic cannons and love them.

Better players than I will probably tell you how wrong I am (and they may be correct) but I've really enjoyed grenade launchers on my vets with an autocannon in a Chimera. The added versatility of the grenade launcher really helps fill gaps....

Mostly it's because they're freaking cool looking though.

;)

I've been doing this too. One thing to add, remember if within 8" of the target, you also have a vet lob a krak/frag grenade (which they get stock). So, a chimera that moves 6" is firing 3x grenade launchers with krak/frag grenades, one is throwing a krak/frag grenade, and the last one is either your heavy weapon team snap firing, your character's pistol (like plasma pistol), or a lobbed demo charge (really risky from the chimera).

Personally, I've been running my vets with 3x grenade launchers and a missile launcher for 100pts even. Then we add a chimera with a hull heavy flamer and a turret multi-laser and the unit is combined at 155pts each. This build is pretty impressive, as we can move and fire 4x krak/frag grenades and snap 1x krak missile. This unit doesn't work very well without the transport, even if you replace the transport with a different one (like a valk or building).

For valk/vendetta squads, the plasma guns or melta guns are ususally the route to go. No other upgrades.

I have had pretty solid results with vets in camo cloaks. Very impressive in defensive positions and can be built offensively too. The defensive grenades are pretty impressive too, as the cloaks no longer give stealth, just a flat +1 cover, so if the enemy is within 8" the defensive grenades add stealth to the +1 cover unit for a +2 cover save.

Demo vets are very hit or miss. They either are amazing or they fail pretty decisively. Issue is that the large blast demo charge is very short range and the melta bombs require a vehicle or MC to assault, so you can have games where that 30pt upgrade does nothing because you need your scoring vets to stay away from the enemy. Also, against MCs, walkers, and super heavies, the demo vets are pretty iffy as either the melee attacks or the resulting explosion will likely wipe those vets off the table - destruction of the enemy at the cost of a lost scoring unit....

Lastly, the carapace upgrade is one I don't use at all. 4+ armor is theoretically useful in assault with weak assault units, against light shooting attacks, and against exploding nearby/transporting vehicles. If, say you've got 8 and a heavy weapon team in a chimera that explodes. They are wounded on 3s, so 6 models take saves - carapace is the difference between losing 4 and losing 3. In my experience, it isn't enough to justify the 30pt cost, but that's the logic. I will note that carapace vets are 13pts each, making them about the cost of SM scouts.

-Pax

Thats a good idea actually. Where did you get your twin linked cannons?

Mine aren't finished yet, but I've been using lascannons from heavy weapon teams. I take two of them and glue them paralel to a square of emery board (the finger nail sander thing). The emery board wedges in the missile mount point without any effort or damage to the model. Coversion is very lacking without paint, but it works and doesn't need magnets.

-Pax

Well I am sorta limited to the models on hand. I have, I think, one old autocannon left that I could pull the cadians off of and put stormtroopers on, but I'd need to get a second. As for shotguns, I have no way to model that, and why would I want to assault with guard when I have knights on the table?

A great way to proxy shotguns is to shorten the barrels on your lasguns. Cut the barrel off and cut the flash suppressor off the barrel. glue the flash suppressor back to the front of the lasgun where the barrel was and "presto" instant lascarbine. Short range lasgun. Also known as a "counts as" shotgun.

As for assaulting knights, hell yes I would. A squad of meltabomb toting demo vets Vs. your big shiny walker? My Catachans are giddy with the idea of that kill. Remember all demo vets come with Meltabombs on each model. Only one of them gets the demo charge.

But then again, my Catachans are all roided up psychos, so.......your tactics may make more sense.

Either way have fun.

As for assaulting knights, hell yes I would. A squad of meltabomb toting demo vets Vs. your big shiny walker? My Catachans are giddy with the idea of that kill. Remember all demo vets come with Meltabombs on each model. Only one of them gets the demo charge.

But then again, my Catachans are all roided up psychos, so.......your tactics may make more sense.

Either way have fun.

Sorry, we talking IG or those kamikaze Catachans? I was giving advice for IG, completely agree with your Catachan advice. In fact, anything you can add to the army to ensure that neither force lives is a good plan for Catachans....

-Pax