Praise the Horned One

stark1261

This serves to be my painting blog...goal is one picture update whenever I can, with a little bit of text about what is puzzling me while painting.

*Time to bump this thread, mad some project progress. Figure I better get on this project as I have halflings coming in early 2020.

Edit: Current plan updates, strike through painted!

Paint goal: 25 clan rats, full command, 2x weapon teams,

Paint reward: warplock eng, hero

Buy reward: light box

2nd paint goal: 25 clan rats, full command, 2x weapon teams,

Paint reward: 3x rat ogre

Buy rewards: Storm vermin

3rd paint goal: 25 clan rats, full command, 2x weapon teams

Paint rewards 3x rat ogres, 1 converted rat lord on rat ogre

Buy reward: Storm vermin or abomination

4th paint goal: 25 clan rats or 20 storm vermin

Paint reward: HPA or 

Buy reward: 20 storm vermin for conversion projects

*Deleted text Wall*

*Added Picture of Army Current Status 11_11*

post-1105-0-79698600-1415767764_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The soul crushing has begun...Based, magnetized and primed 25 clan rats with spears. Just realized I need to do the shields too! Also played with some new paints, really was excited to try the technical typhus whatever plus rust...forgot to buy the typhus last night.  Worked on my wood color, think i found what i want, should be relatively quick, but still takes 2 coats, 2 washes and a dry brush, but will go quick in batches of spears and should look decent in larger amounts, such as doom wheel and maybe a plague censor or warp lightning cannon.  No impressed with verdigris technical, but going to do it as it is quick, just doesn't pop like i hoped.

Do spears still require two hands to use? If so, you may not want to glue on those shields, as you couldn't use them in close combat. You HAVE to use your special weapon now; you don't have a choice anymore. For added protection when getting shot at, it'd be cheaper and better to just add more bodies.

Do spears still require two hands to use? If so, you may not want to glue on those shields, as you couldn't use them in close combat. You HAVE to use your special weapon now; you don't have a choice anymore. For added protection when getting shot at, it'd be cheaper and better to just add more bodies.

Spears haven't required 2 hands since...at least 6th edition. You're losing it, Jim!

I've just begun painting Fantasy stuff for the first time in years myself. Visit Bham again so my dwarves can settle a few grudges!

Well, I figured out all my colors, messed up on the order of painting parts, but have 7 rats mostly done. I am not going to do the bases, miscellaneous bags, or banners at this time. I can do those later...

I am not sure how I like the new technical corrosion and rust combo yet, I still have to hit it with bolt cut to look right and the rust dry brushing of small areas is a pain.

I figured out my paint rewards, for every 25 rats I get to do 1 weapons team and a hero. After 50 I get to do 3 or 4 rat ogres.  At 100 I get to buy an abomination or maybe 40 storm-vermin... we will see.

post-1105-0-38029000-1395030976_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

So working on streamlining the process with the next ten. I have the base colors laid out to get one coat on them and the wash done. I did 10 rats fur and skin parts in 60-90 minutes... Not sure how long it is going to take so going to log the rest of the time and then do som projections. Current projection is 1/3 of base colors at 6-9 minutes a rat, times by 3 and I am at 18-27 minutes a rat, will assume wash and highlights at another 15 per rat, then pick teeth and eyes, corrosion and rust, then touch of silver and I am at roughy an hour per rat before I do the base, bags they have or banners etc. 100 clan rat goal...I am going to go cry now, but hey I hear tears of despair are great to mix with paint for getting smoothe application.

• Like 1

Been painting away! This blog is how I stay motivated. EDIT: Added pic of 17 rats, all done but the base, bags, and flock. Sorry about cell phone quality picture.

This weeks positives:
1) I like how the rats turn out.
2) I am using the technical paint typhus and rust.
3) Still excited to paint.
4) got the camera to work, will see if I can get a shot tonight of where I am at.

The negatives:
1) I need three shades of each color, I can't compromise...oh blah da
2) I figured out no ones is taking spears... Reading a strategy board...fudge on track to finish first block of spears less the bases next weekend.
3) I must have really aged, or my set up sucks. My back kills me after a 2 hour paint session. Too much time curled up.

• Like 1

Ok, 20 days back into painting and have the base coat and wash done on the last 7 of the unit of 25 clan rats with spears. I went out and bought some of the color lighter than storm vermin fur, dawnstone i think, and it helped the look of the rags.  Not looking forward to painting the bases on these clowns but won't e to horrible. I am hoping when i fly home I can find my paint journal from 3 years ago to remember the bases that i did on my other skaven. I am pretty sure codex grey was involved...here is a photo of the rats with with dawnstone (sorry still my iPhone)...getting excited to paint a couple of weapons teams soon, hero and warlock!

• Like 1

Looking great! So are you done with the first uinit of 25?

I went out and bought some of the color lighter than storm vermin fur, dawnstone i think, and it helped the look of the rags.  

I LOVE it when I find a color that works into whatever I'm working on that cuts out another mixing/blending step. Yea for efficiency!

• 2 weeks later...

Updated original post with progress. 25 clan rats done! (Well need a wash the banner). I decided to create a reward system to keep me motivated. It has both paint and buy rewards to get me through the first 75 models. In my work sphere I have been hearing a lot about small steps instead of big steps and applying this to the hobby side has been really good over the last month, going to expand it.

Paint goal: 25 clan rats, full command, 2x weapon teams,
Paint reward: warplock eng, hero
Buy reward: light box
2nd paint goal: 25 clan rats, full command, 2x weapon teams,
Paint reward: 4x rat ogres
Buy rewards: either storm vermin or abomination.
3rd paint goal: 25 clan rats, full command, 2x weapon teams
Paint rewards 4x rat ogres, 1 converted rat lord on rat ogre
Buy reward: ther storm vermin or abomination
4th paint goal: 25 clan rats or 20 storm vermin
Paint reward: HPA or doom wheel
Buy reward: 20 storm vermin for conversion projects

I decided to create a reward system to keep me motivated. It has both paint and buy rewards to get me through the first 75 models.

I snickered at the thought of using a rewards system for painting rats. Just brought up images of a pushing a little lever to release a cheese-flavored pellet.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: finished a warp fire thrower and plague mortar, then moved onto my first "paint reward" the hero and warplock eng...about 2 weeks ago, took little time off prepping for my newest miniature...

She showed up on Saturday at 6am. All is well.

Was able to get the paints out and get a couple coats on the rats today.

Going to be painting in 5 man(rat) sets to keep progress going. One session earlier today I only got to paint tails with our toddler in my lap, but will keep the paint brush to the plastic!

The slog of 25 hw & sh clan rats has begun.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Back in the saddle! New daughter is 6 months old, was about 4 months of no painting due to new job and new kid.  Here is a paint log update. Just finished the bases on my 25 HW&SH clan rats. Working on using my light set up. Seems to me I can't quite get enough light into the light box through the walls...will need to pick the brains of some of my mini photo expert friends.

• Like 2