2 Rules questions

Ok I have two questions for the community.

1) I cannot find anything in the MRB about not being able to direct close combat attacks at the standard bearer in a unit.  Now, I know that this seems like a silly question, due to the standard just being picked up by someone.  However, I just want to make sure that a model could direct attacks at the standard bearer.

Scenario:  I declare 2 attacks on the standard bearer.  I hit 2 times, wound once, he fails save.  The standard bearer isn't slain, but a rank-and-file model is removed.

2) If a model/unit is subject to both Frenzy and Stupidity and that model/unit fails their Stupidity test then they don't need to test for Frenzy, correct?  The rule for Stupidity states they just mvoe forward a random D6" and they cannont take any other action.  Frenzy states they must test in the charge sub-phase if they do not declare a charge but could declare a charge.  I just want to make sure I have the correct assumption here.

Scenario: I have a unit who fails their Stupidy test and moves forward 2".  The unit is now 12" away from a unit who they could declare a charge against.   Because Stupidity happens before the charge sub-phase, there is no Frenzy roll needed to see if the unit must declare a charge.  Did I just play these rules correctly?

1) Pg 94, "Standard Bearers and Casualties": "the standard bearer cannot normally be removed as a casualty unless only he and the champion ... remain in the unit.  This applies even if the standard bearer is the target of an effect that affects only a single model....  Another rank and file warrior is still assumed to pick up the banner."  That's all I could find other than on Pg 48, "Who Can Strike?": "Normally, a warrior can only strike blows against an enemy model in base contact."  So, I would assume you could direct your attacks like that, but it shouldn't make a difference as far as I could tell.  How did this come up in your game?

2). Pg 76, "Me 'Ead 'Urts": "A unit that fails its Stupidity test ... cannot take any further action that turn, so cannot declare charges...."  And then under Frenzy, Pg 70, "Berserk Rage": "If ... a unit that includes one or more Frenzied models could declare a charge, then it must do so unless a Leadership test is passed.  If the Leadership test is failed, the Frenzied unit must declare a charge...."  Therefore, I believe that since you're Stupid (wow that sounds bad out of context :D ) and couldn't declare a charge (emphasis mine, above), then no test is needed.

• Like 1

1) Pg 94, "Standard Bearers and Casualties": "the standard bearer cannot normally be removed as a casualty unless only he and the champion ... remain in the unit.  This applies even if the standard bearer is the target of an effect that affects only a single model....  Another rank and file warrior is still assumed to pick up the banner."  That's all I could find other than on Pg 48, "Who Can Strike?": "Normally, a warrior can only strike blows against an enemy model in base contact."  So, I would assume you could direct your attacks like that, but it shouldn't make a difference as far as I could tell.  How did this come up in your game?

2). Pg 76, "Me 'Ead 'Urts": "A unit that fails its Stupidity test ... cannot take any further action that turn, so cannot declare charges...."  And then under Frenzy, Pg 70, "Berserk Rage": "If ... a unit that includes one or more Frenzied models could declare a charge, then it must do so unless a Leadership test is passed.  If the Leadership test is failed, the Frenzied unit must declare a charge...."  Therefore, I believe that since you're Stupid (wow that sounds bad out of context :D ) and couldn't declare a charge (emphasis mine, above), then no test is needed.

1)  It hasn't come up yet.  However it will soon.  Here's the scenario.  Malekith is in combat with a unit who has a magic standard.  Malekith directs attacks at the standard bearer.  Standard bearer is hit.  I roll a 4+.  Magic standard is no more.  It is only for Malekith to destroy magic banners in a unit.  FInal conclusion....suck on that BotWD.

2) That's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure I play it correctly.  Basically, I am thinking of running a Cauldron in a unit of CoK's.

• Like 1

Technically you COULD direct attacks at a unit standard bearer, but since he's considered armed/armored the same as rank n' file there's no in-game effect.  Casualties are removed as BeaverBeliever described.  So there's no real reason to do this that I can tell - dramatic flair?

Malekith can destroy magic items on a 4+ if he scores 1 or more hits on his target.  It's purely to try and remove magic standards from a unit.

1)  It hasn't come up yet.  However it will soon.  Here's the scenario.  Malekith is in combat with a unit who has a magic standard.  Malekith directs attacks at the standard bearer.  Standard bearer is hit.  I roll a 4+.  Magic standard is no more.  It is only for Malekith to destroy magic banners in a unit.  FInal conclusion....suck on that BotWD.

Ah, I see.  I still can't seem to find a reason why that's not possible, so I'd say go for it (I'm assuming Malekith's hits are on a "model" rather than "character" with a magic item?).

And because the magic item is destroyed outright ( and not made inert) the unit loses it's standard too right? Another model couldn't pick it up as a normal standard - it's just gone. According to what's in this thread, looks legit to me.

I wasn't even going to take it that far.  I was just going for destroying the magic banner and then letting the unit revert to a normal standard.  However, since you brought it up, what's everyone else's thought on this?

Swan brings up a good point, if you destroy a magic weapon they revert to a mundade close combat weapon.  If you destroy magic armour, it's just gone.  If you destroy a magic banner?

High Elves and Lizardmen could also do with high magic.

What you have to understand it that it's also 500 points to do this, and this only happens in close combat.  For a character who is over 500 points, he better do something amazing.  He has NO ward save against magic attacks.  I love named characters and feel they should be allowed more than they currently are.  They are here for a reason, we should be able to use them from time to time.

The difference with Malekith and High Magic is that I have to be in base contact with the intended target.  The casters don't, they can just sit back and target them.  They can also do it with a cheaper point cost as well.  You could have a level 2 who costs 150 points (much much less than Malekith) doing these shananigans.  However, since that's not a named character it's acceptable?