Character question

Is it the closest visible and eligible target, or just the closest visable unit that interacts with the character rule? 

Like if my Sorcerer is not in combat (1" of enemy models), but my Chaos Space Marine unit in combat is the closest visible unit from the enemy shooter, can they target my Sorcerer and ignore my Chaos Space Marines with shooting attacks because they are unable to target units within 1" of their own allies?

More visual:

"Enemy Shooting Unit

Open space

Enemy unit in melee

Friendly CSM in melee

Open space

My Sorcerer"

A bit linear, I know, but the idea is that the enemy shooting unit is firing from the opposite end of a melee as my Sorcerer, with both friendly and enemy models in it. They can't target the enemy there, due to the 1" of friendly models limitation. Does the character rule prevent them from also targetting the character?

Or rather, can I create a situation where your shooter cannot shoot at anything because all the targets are either within 1" of a friendly or are a character that is not the closest model?

ya, we figured this one out by looking at it like this.

You have a character, In front of the character is an infantry unit. Your opponent wants to shoot the character so he assaults the infantry unit. After assaulting the infantry unit he try's to shoot the character.

You can't do that. It's the closest unit without regard to it being in combat or not. If it is in combat this essentially makes both the infantry unit and the character immune to shooting attacks until someone falls back or is wiped out.