8e dwarfs, more than just a gunline?

So far I'm 4-0 with the new book and others seem positive about it too. I was running 3 war machines and 30 infantry with guns, but am down to 2 and 28 respectively. In all my battles I've had 2 vanguarding infantry blocks and one vanguarding gyro, so I've gone for the balanced approach and enjoyed the hell out of it. I've played dwarves for about 12 years and this is the first time I've had a book that doesn't seem like it'll get too stale too quickly.

The gunline is still plenty viable, but so is 99% of the rest of the book too. So there's no real reason to run a gunline unless you are completely devoid of empathy.

• Like 1

The only "fluff only" choices as far as I can tell are:

-Anvil of Doom (way too much for a negligible magic phase)

-Slayer characters (cost the same as thanes/lords but are nekkid and have fewer points to spend on their weapons)

-Bolt Throwers (Dwarven BS is B.S. and 25 points is way too much to spend to give them the high end of average skill)

Everything else seems to range from fine to great. You can go gunline, or you could build a list entirely composed of units with Vanguard, Ambush, or Scout. I think dwarf players will get a lot of mileage out of the new book just due to the sheer range of viable options.

• Like 1

Units of 5 Rangers are great diverters, march blockers, and vanguard checkers.

I like Slayer bump units.

Gyros are solid at 80 points.

Hammerers are a solid fighting unit.

Making units fighting stubborn and vanguard are solid choices.

Runesmiths are boons to units for their Armour Piercing ability.

• Like 1

Yes, I've run 10-12 in each list. They haven't gotten too many good shots off yet unfortunately. You tell someone that they have str 5, AP, flaming attacks that can move and shoot with no penalty and people trend to avoid their area of the board. They're still effective in that way, but not as impressive to behold. But when they do get a chance to shoot, it tends to hurt.

As far as anti-magic goes, I've run with 2 runesmiths (each with a dispel rune), and master rune of grungni. Grungni combos well with MR1 against magic missiles, so it gives units 4++ against the likes of Searing Doom. I haven't tried out the master rune of valaya, but I've heard good things. So far my anti-magic has been just fine, and I've faced a lvl 4 and a lvl 2 in every battle.

• Like 1

If you want good use out of the Iron Drakes, give them the banguard banner.

That is good, here's another option.

Give them the rune of slowness and deploy them in a single rank at the top of your deployment.  You should get at least 2 shooting actions from them:

Enemey charges, you stand and shoot, rune of slowness makes them fail the charge.

You shoot at enemy on your turn.

Enemy charges, you flee behind your lines to safety and have to rally on a 10, or you stand and shoot, and hope you win.

• Like 1