Tyranids for OFCC

Chikin

I’m thinking about a list for OFCC.  It’s not an old school list, but I want to get people’s reactions to it.

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Tyranids) [22 PL, 410pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Scythed Hierodule [22 PL, 410pts]: 2x Massive Scything Talons

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids) [63 PL, 1147pts] ++

+ HQ +

Broodlord [8 PL, 162pts]

Tyranid Prime [6 PL, 107pts]: Boneswords, Deathspitter

+ Troops +

Genestealers [16 PL, 240pts]
. 20x Genestealer: 20x Rending Claws

Hormagaunts [9 PL, 110pts]: 22x Hormagaunt

Termagants [9 PL, 240pts]
. 30x Termagant (Devourer): 30x Devourer

Tyranid Warriors [5 PL, 90pts]
. Tyranid Warrior: Deathspitter, Scything Talons
. Tyranid Warrior: Deathspitter, Scything Talons
. Tyranid Warrior (Bio-cannon): Scything Talons, Venom Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Trygon Prime [10 PL, 198pts]: Biostatic Rattle, 3x Massive Scything Talons

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Tyranids) [22 PL, 442pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Barbed Hierodule [22 PL, 442pts]: Massive Scything Talons

++ Total: [107 PL, 1999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

List doesn't seem very focused. Doesn't seem like it does anything particularly well (like any phase). And then you have lots of big, juicy targets, for the opponent to focus fire into, and I'm not seeing many psykers to buff your bugs or any sort of defensive buffs.

Granted, my bugs still don't work in 8e, so take it with a grain of salt, but doesn't seem like the list would be that fun to play, especially in an event where you can't change the list between games when it turns out that the list is in dire need of tweaks.

PS: My above opinions are directed towards the list, not the player. To those that haven't played against Chikin. Very enjoyable player. I'd be confident that any list he brought to the OFCC would be fun to play against just because he's fun to play against.

I had wondered if the 80 other guys would deflect from the two LoW. 

I was thinking about how much shenanigans you can get away with in a 2k tyranid list.  The original version had a full brigade with a super heavy detachment, but required 6 copies of the same troop to fit in 2k.

I am trying to decide on a list that is fun and different.  I don't like that all the tyranid lists end up being multiple flyrants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chikin said:

I am trying to decide on a list that is fun and different.  I don't like that all the tyranid lists end up being multiple flyrants.

That's fine. A unique army is still obtainable. Consider this: if the enemy kills 1/4th of your army on turn 1 (their pick which 1/4th), does the rest of the army have the means to realistically destroy the opponent?

You have no duplicated units and each seems to fill a role, but they don't all fill the same role, so the loss of 1/4th of the army would probably cripple you. You also have rather un-durable synapse units, yet several units that require synapse to function.

My suggestion is to focus the army. Either a long range, short range, or melee range army. Tyranids do very well if they all do about the same thing. A tsunami of tyranids rushing at you is much harder to defeat than an army that is half range and half melee. And long range tyranids can work, even if it is very much uncommon. But they need to work together.

I will also note that your army has most of it's AT options in those two LoWs. This means that if your opponent has lots of high toughness creatures, they will feel the need to focus fire on those two, early on. If you keep the two, I suggest including other units that have that high melee or ranged attack. Yes, genestealers are perfectly functional AT units, but I'd still include a few more similar high toughness creatures with high strength attacks to make it so the opponent can't simply focus fire the game into one where you require 6s to wound their forces.

i see nothing wrong with two heirodules. you included both of the ones available. I have played them a couple times in 6th and 7th edition and never found them to be totally overpowered. I believe every army I faced was able to kill the one scythed heirodule.

Now, if you want to talk real LoW, lets talk about Chikin's Heirophant.......That guy has OFCC written all over it =).

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Chikin said:

I was thinking about the Hierophant, but it's 2060 points on it's own 😞

Should ask Brian for an exception. Just a great photo op for the OFCC to have a Hierophant.

One of the GG guys has been bringing an Eldar Revenant as his entire army. Keeps losing (often dies turn 1), but really quick set up and take down. Personally, for OFCC, if the choice is facing a single model tyranid army and facing the standard 100+ model tyranid army, I'm much rather face the smaller model count one.

So, strongly suggest asking Bryan for an exception.