CA 2018 Custom Characters

Ish

hmgRwdn.jpg

Lieutenant Arnulf "Hammerzeit" König
Base Datasheet: Primaris Lieutenant Character Level: Hero

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Lieutenant Arnulf "Hammerzeit" König, was the former field commander of the original Kill Team Rampart. König is a charismatic leader of men, a cunning warrior, and a respected duelist. However, König is considered perhaps a bit too impetuous to be entrusted with command of Battle Company, instead he has been appointed the executive officer of Task Force Rampart. Captain Halytsch, the Task Force's commanding officer, trusts him explicitly and König will often be given the responsibility of leading the Task Force's vanguard element. 

NAME M WS BS S T W A Ld Sv   ROLE PL
Primaris Lieutenants 6" 2+ 3+ 4 4 5 4 8 3+   HQ 5

Wargear: Thunder Hammer, Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades

WEAPON RANGE TYPE S AP D

Thunder Hammer

Bolt Pistol

Frag Grenade

Krak Grenade

Mêlée 

12"

6"

6"

Mêlée

Pistol 1

Grenade D6

Grenade 1

D3

ABILITIES
And They Shall Know No Fear: You can re-roll failed Morale tests for this unit.

Tactical Precision: You can re-roll wound rolls of 1 for friendly Imperial Fists units that are within 6" of a Lieutenant.

Company Heroes: During deployment, all models in this unit must be set up at the same time, thought they do not need to be set up in unit coherency. From that point onward, each Primaris Lieutenant is treated as a separate unit.

Thunder Hammer: When attacking with this weapon, you must subtract 1 from the hit roll.

HEROIC ABILITIES
Duellist: Add 1 to this model’s Strength and Attacks characteristics while it is within 1" of any enemy Character units.

Heroic: This model can perform a Heroic Intervention if, after the enemy has completed all of their charge moves, it is within 6" of
any enemy units, and can move up to 6" when doing so.

Inspirational Fighter: Re-roll hit rolls of 1 in the Fight phase for friendly Imperial Fists units within 6" of this model.

Open The Armory*: This model may select one weapon other than those normally available to its Datasheet.

FACTION KEYWORDS: Imperium, Adeptus Astartes, Imperial Fists
KEYWORDS: Character, Infantry, Primaris, Lieutenants 

* This is a House Rule, see discussion below.

Edited by Ish
  • Like 1

I think it would be fair to have an "Open The Armory" trait that lets a Custom Character take a weapon that his datasheet wouldn't normally have access to but his army, in general, would be allowed to use. I mean, if you think about it, Gunnery Sergeant Harker's Heavy Bolter or Veteran Sergeant Telion's Stalker Boltgun are both examples of this sort of thing.

7 minutes ago, Ish said:

I think it would be fair to have an "Open The Armory" trait that lets a Custom Character take a weapon that his datasheet wouldn't normally have access to but his army, in general, would be allowed to use. I mean, if you think about it, Gunnery Sergeant Harker's Heavy Bolter or Veteran Sergeant Telion's Stalker Boltgun are both examples of this sort of thing.

Count it as one of the 4 selection? I am for this gives me some fun access for sub characters

10 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Count it as one of the 4 selection? I am for this gives me some fun access for sub characters

That's what I'm thinking. I mean, it seems to be a pretty reasonable House Rule...

...and I kinda want to see a Grot with a Power Klaw.

17 minutes ago, Ish said:

That's what I'm thinking. I mean, it seems to be a pretty reasonable House Rule...

...and I kinda want to see a Grot with a Power Klaw.

If only I could have a Grot character.... Now using one of the advancements to make a character... Most impractical character ever... Hits on 6's wounds a Marine on 4's... 

post-9298-1264280631.jpg

Kolonel-Kommissar Gitbashin Yarrork
Base Datasheet: Warboss Character Level: Mighty Hero

"Wars ain't won by heroes, dere won by dakka an' brutality, an' the application of stratagee an' tactiks."

The Orks of the Blood Axe Klan are famed (and feared) for their imitative ways, adopting and adapting the tactics and strategies of their foes to better serve the Orkish cause. One of the most feared and successful Ork Warbosses of the Post-Indomitus Crusade era is the greatly feared leader of Waaagh! Yarrork. Striding across the battlefields of a two score and ten worlds, the self-titled "Kolonel-Kommissar" shows an impressive level of long-term strategic planning for an Ork and the mobs of Ork Boyz that follow him seem uncharacteristically well-disciplined. 

Warboss 5" 2+ 5+ 6 5 6 4 9 4+   HQ 4

Wargear: Kustom Shoota, Viscera (Chainsword counts as an Attack Squig) Power Klaw, two Sluggas, and Stikkbombs 

WEAPON RANGE TYPE S AP D

Kustom Shoota

Power Klaw

Viscera

Slugga

Stikkbomb

18" 

Mêlée

Mêlée

12"

6"

Assault 4

Mêlée

Mêlée

Pistol 1

Grenade D6

D3

ABILITIES
`Ere We Go; Mob Rule; Dakka! Dakka! Dakka!: See Codex: Orks, p. 82.

Waaagh!: Friendly Infantry units within 6" of this model at the start of the Charge phase can charge even if they Advanced this turn

Breakin’ Heads: If a Blood Axe unit fails a Morale test while it is within 3" of a friendly Blood Axe Warboss, the Warboss can restore order with a brutal display of violence. If they do so, the unit suffers D3 mortal wounds but the Morale test is then considered to have been passed.

Power Klaw: When attacking with this weapon, you must subtract 1 from the hit roll.

Viscera: Counts as an Attack Squig; Each time a model with an Viscera fights, it can make two additional attacks with this weapon.

HEROIC ABILITIES
Courageous: Add 1 to this model’s Leadership characteristic.

Divine Protection: Improve this model’s invulnerable save by 1, to a maximum of 3+. If this model does not have an invulnerable save, it instead gains a 6+ invulnerable save.

Inspirational Fighter: Re-roll hit rolls of 1 in the Fight phase for friendly Blood Axe units within 6" of this model.

Inspirational Leader: Friendly Blood Axe units can use this model’s Leadership instead of their own while they are within 6" of it.

Resilient: Each time this model loses a wound, roll a dice; on a 5+ it does not lose that wound.

Strategic Feint: At the start of the first battle round but before the first turn begins, you can pick a friendly Blood Axe unit within 6" of this model and set it up again, anywhere wholly within your deployment zone. If your opponent has any units with similar abilities, roll off; starting with the winner of the roll-off, take it in turns to resolve these

FACTION KEYWORDS: Ork, Blood Axe
KEYWORDS: Character, Infantry, Warboss

* I got bored and found this neat piece of artwork. Decided to have some fun with it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ish said:

Kolonel-Kommissar Gitbashin Yarrork
Base Datasheet: Warboss Character Level: Mighty Hero

"Wars ain't won by heroes, dere won by dakka an' brutality, an' the application of stratagee an' tactiks."

The Orks of the Blood Axe Klan are famed (and feared) for their imitative ways, adopting and adapting the tactics and strategies of their foes to better serve the Orkish cause. One of the most feared and successful Ork Warbosses of the Post-Indomitus Crusade era is the greatly feared leader of Waaagh! Yarrork. Striding across the battlefields of a two score and ten worlds, the self-titled "Kolonel-Kommissar" shows an impressive level of long-term strategic planning for an Ork and the mobs of Ork Boyz that follow him seem uncharacteristically well-disciplined. 

Warboss 5" 2+ 5+ 6 5 6 4 9 4+   HQ 4

Wargear: Kustom Shoota, Viscera (Chainsword counts as an Attack Squig) Power Klaw, two Sluggas, and Stikkbombs 

WEAPON RANGE TYPE S AP D

Kustom Shoota

Power Klaw

Viscera

Slugga

Stikkbomb

18" 

Mêlée

Mêlée

12"

6"

Assault 4

Mêlée

Mêlée

Pistol 1

Grenade D6

D3

ABILITIES
`Ere We Go; Mob Rule; Dakka! Dakka! Dakka!: See Codex: Orks, p. 82.

Waaagh!: Friendly Infantry units within 6" of this model at the start of the Charge phase can charge even if they Advanced this turn

Breakin’ Heads: If a Blood Axe unit fails a Morale test while it is within 3" of a friendly Blood Axe Warboss, the Warboss can restore order with a brutal display of violence. If they do so, the unit suffers D3 mortal wounds but the Morale test is then considered to have been passed.

Power Klaw: When attacking with this weapon, you must subtract 1 from the hit roll.

Viscera: Counts as an Attack Squig; Each time a model with an Viscera fights, it can make two additional attacks with this weapon.

HEROIC ABILITIES
Courageous: Add 1 to this model’s Leadership characteristic.

Divine Protection: Improve this model’s invulnerable save by 1, to a maximum of 3+. If this model does not have an invulnerable save, it instead gains a 6+ invulnerable save.

Inspirational Fighter: Re-roll hit rolls of 1 in the Fight phase for friendly Blood Axe units within 6" of this model.

Inspirational Leader: Friendly Blood Axe units can use this model’s Leadership instead of their own while they are within 6" of it.

Resilient: Each time this model loses a wound, roll a dice; on a 5+ it does not lose that wound.

Strategic Feint: At the start of the first battle round but before the first turn begins, you can pick a friendly Blood Axe unit within 6" of this model and set it up again, anywhere wholly within your deployment zone. If your opponent has any units with similar abilities, roll off; starting with the winner of the roll-off, take it in turns to resolve these

FACTION KEYWORDS: Ork, Blood Axe
KEYWORDS: Character, Infantry, Warboss

* I got bored and found this neat piece of artwork. Decided to have some fun with it.

Power level seems really low. I also think it has too many special rules. I'd consider this closer to power level 8, as is.

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

He's only a Lieutenant; You don't start seeing Leadership 9 until you get into the Captain/Chaplain/Librarian ranks.

Granted, but he's supposed to be a cut above the rest. Maybe he's got the leadership, but is waiting on something else to become a captain (like waiting for a position to open up)

7 minutes ago, Ish said:

The rules are found in Chapter Approved 2018 and are intended for Open Play. They don't change the Power Level, mostly because it assumes your only using these models in friendly games and aren't trying to be That Guy.

Well, regarding that ork, I'd call you "that guy"

Just way too many abilities on one character sheet. Actual ability wise,  I think he'd give CSM daemon prince a run for their money, and those should be around PL 8 or so. 

39 minutes ago, Ish said:

The rules are found in Chapter Approved 2018 and are intended for Open Play. They don't change the Power Level, mostly because it assumes your only using these models in friendly games and aren't trying to be That Guy.

Hmmmm a Heroic eh... Wish I could post stats like that. I don't think my phone will let me. 

I have been keeping it to the mighty so as not to bee too over bearing

There's four levels of Custom Character. Lt. König is a "Hero," the lowest tier, who gets four of the special abilities. Kommissar Yarrork is a "Mighty Hero," who gets six abilities, which were mostly chosen with an eye to replicating Commissar Yarrick and he's mainly intended as a bit of fun. I'd say the best way to make these Custom Characters work in a "balanced" way would be only if both players had one of the same tier: You get a Mighty Hero, I get a Mighty Hero.

26 minutes ago, Ish said:

There's four levels of Custom Character. Lt. König is a "Hero," the lowest tier, who gets four of the special abilities. Kommissar Yarrork is a "Mighty Hero," who gets six abilities, which were mostly chosen with an eye to replicating Commissar Yarrick and he's mainly intended as a bit of fun. I'd say the best way to make these Custom Characters work in a "balanced" way would be only if both players had one of the same tier: You get a Mighty Hero, I get a Mighty Hero.

Fair. I was off. I meant lower hearo the 4 ability one. Gotta work out how I want to kitbash and paint said character. 

56 minutes ago, Ish said:

I feel pretty silly making this one. 

A Big Mek with KFF and Kombi Rokkit with Dead Eye for +1 BS, Auto Loader for the extra shot, High Caliber for S9 Rokkits and either Keen Eye which is mean or Penetrator Rounds to give the Shoota part some AP. 

Then there is the Kommando Warboss with Swift Advance, Stealth Assault, Fleet, and Ferocious Combatant. Though this really wants the Camouflage rule.... 

The Waaaghh leading Warboss with Icon of Retribution, Toughened Armor, Inspirational Fighter, and Hard to Kill

Thinking about it... I would hate to see hard to kill on something like Deffkilla Wartrike... You can make it T7 Hard to Kill and Resilient, and if you REALLY want to be annoying Stealth Assault which is silly on that thing but in the rules. Still not a fun build. Definitely too WAAC for me but it came to mind.

Hmmmm what else... Ohhh a Nob Waaaghh Banner! Hmmmmm.... Inspirational Fighter for sure, Maybe Reserve tactics to mess with people, Blademaster, and Ferocious Combatant

I think I will write up some fluff

11 hours ago, Ish said:

Maybe I'm misunderstand it. Does divine protect modify the save constantly, or just in the creation step? Like if your ork gains a 5++ in the game, say from another model's buff, does divine protection mean he has a 4++?

And it really grants 6x additional special abilities, not just allows a character to have a total of 6 abilities? Models with that many special abilties and auras are typically lords of war.