Index Imperialis: Assassins + maybe new primaris stuff?

dalmer

I was really hoping they'd go covered imperial axuila give them basically a way of combining without base imperium. 

Don't make any of them troops just bunches of support battle field roles so you can bring all the oddballs and get a single cp! You could make a rule that all the little things from the box sets count them too. Maybe add another unique troop so you could do a patrol or hell give us an alternative to the "loyal 32"

• Like 1

I wouldn't go full wild card, restrict that to specific sorts... inquisitors and the likes. 

I'd like an oddball keyword but in narrative it already works so it is more when match play is in effect you can't take a rogue trader, inquisitor, some acolytes, an assassin, that star strider engineer, a navigator, and some arms men then call them a vanguard.

I'd love to be able to sacrifice one of my detachments to those star striders but you can't as the elite that almost makes it doesn't count and you can't fill any. Then add in more traditional battalions for a full army... inquisitors can kinda work but they'd be better as an HQ for any and all the odd balls.

Maybe give Inquisitor and Rogue Trader HQ’s a special ability that lets them “requisition” certain Troops units from other Imperial armies and count them as part of their faction?

I mean, back in Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader the default assumption was that the player was a Rogue Trader and the forces on the table — a mix of Imperial Army, Space Marines, and other strangeness – were part of his ship’s compliment. So there’s precedent for a powerful Rogue Trader to have a squad of Astartes under their command.

Likewise, it’s a long established part of the lore that an Inquisitor has the legal authority (and often enough political clout) to essentially “pull rank” on anyone short of a High Lord of Terra or a Chapter Master.

Space Marine Tactical Squads, Space Marine Scout Squads, Imperial Guard Infantry Squads, and Imperial Guard Conscript Squads could be allowed as Troops Units for any Detachment with an Inquisitor HQ.

Battle Sister Squads, Grey Knight Squads, and Deathwatch Squads could be allowed for any Inquisitior HQ of the appropriate Ordo.

• Like 3

It would still be cooler if the inquisitor or rogue trader "pulled rank" on the oddballs and for the favor/ compliment from the ship stuff you just took a separate detachment. Both the hq and other transportable types have a rule allowing them to hitch a ride in non matching keyword imperial transports.

The only real issue is the oddballs in full matched play. Anything short of required battle brothers you are totally fine (they share imperium) and I'd prefer to keep close to battle brothers but allow a limited hodgepodge bit 

On a similar, but tangential note, I've been pondering if a lot of the "chasing the CP dragon" problems with the present edition might not be solved by amending the Org Chart.

Have everyone start with a set number of Command Points based on the sized of the game being played (say, 5 per every 500 points?) and only one detachment.

Have everyone use the same Org Chart: 1-3 HQ, 2-6 Troops, 0-3 Elite, 0-3 Fast, 0-3 Heavy, 0-1 Flyer, 0-1 Lord of War, 0-3 Fortifications. Dedicated Transports are "slotless" but limited on a one for one ratio to other units.

Then let people buy extra slots on the Org Chart with CP:

• +3 Troops slots 1 CP
  • +1 Elites slot 1 CP; +3 Elites slots 2 CP
  • +1 Fast slot 1 CP; +3 Fast slots 2 CP
  • +1 Heavy slot 1 CP; +3 Heavy slots 2 CP
  • +1 Flyer slot 2 CP
  • +1 Lord of War slot 2 CP
  • +1 HQ slot 2 CP; +2 HQ slots 3 CP
  • Add a second Faction to your detachment, +2 CP
  • Add a third Faction to your deatchment, +5 CP

Obviously, the math might need some tweaking, but I think the concept works. 

• Like 2