List feedback

apathy ales

So I am thinking of building towards the following list, with the idea that when (plastic) Sisters come out I would have 3 lists to mix ajd match from (Blood Angels, Custodes and Sisters). Thoughts on this list (I'm new to list building and trying to learn, don't want to just net list)? Also, I got about 180 points left, suggestions on what to do with it?

ALSO, I'm getting some of these jetbikes on the cheap via ebay. Anyone have the 75mm bases they'd be willing to part with?

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [53 PL, 858pts] ++

+ HQ + Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: 5. Gift of Foresight, Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer, Warlord

Chief Librarian Mephiston [8 PL, 160pts] + Troops + Scout Squad [4 PL, 80pts] .

Scout: Camo cloak, Sniper rifle .

Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Sniper rifle

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts] .

Scout: Boltgun . Scout: Boltgun . Scout: Boltgun . Scout: Boltgun . Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts] . Scout: Astartes shotgun . Scout: Astartes shotgun . Scout: Astartes shotgun . Scout: Astartes shotgun . Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword + Elites

+ Death Company [27 PL, 384pts]: Jump Pack . Death Company Marine: Thunder hammer . Death Company Marine: Thunder hammer . Death Company Marine: Thunder hammer . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Inferno pistol . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Inferno pistol . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Inferno pistol . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Inferno pistol . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Hand flamer . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Hand flamer . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Hand flamer . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Hand flamer . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Hand flamer . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Hand flamer . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Hand flamer . Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Hand flamer

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP

(Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [54 PL, 970pts] ++ + No Force Org Slot + Open the Vaults (1 Relic)

+ HQ + Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 160pts]: Auric Aquilis, Hurricane Bolter + Fast Attack

+ Vertus Praetors [15 PL, 270pts] . Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter . Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter . Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter

Vertus Praetors [15 PL, 270pts] . Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter . Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter . Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter

Vertus Praetors [15 PL, 270pts] . Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter . Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter . Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter ++

Total: [107 PL, 1828pts] ++ Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

(Sorry about formatting, I'll figure it out at some point...)

Minor formatting note, it's much easier to read a list that just says "Scout Squad: 5x Sniper Rifles, 5x Camo Cloaks [4 PL, 80pts]" than to see each individual member of the squad as their own line item. In units where there can be a much greater variety of wargear (e.g., Death Company) then you might want to list them on individual lines. You've kinda done this backwards here... 😉 

As for the list itself, it's certainly going to be a brutal one: Smash Captain, Mephiston, and the Banana Bikes are all very good at what they do. However, about the only thing they do is kill stuff. In any Missions where you need to take and hold Objectives, you're going to be depending on your Scouts and Death Company. Neither of which are all that good at it. Death Company are excellent rapid-moving assault troops and you're paying a premium for them to be good at that job... Using them to hold an Objective is not an efficient use of them. Scout-Snipers aren't mobile at all, if you want to take advantage of their shooting, they can camp on an Objective in your zone... But five of them will fold to anything the opponent dedicates to taking them out. Bolter-Scouts are good at the take and hold game (not quite as durable as Tacticals, but close enough) but five of them? Well, its just five men.

I'd recommend using the 172 Points you have left to get a full ten-man Blood Angels Tactical Squad or Intercessor Squad. 

Thanks for the thought!

Yeah, I haven't played a single ITC mission yet, but objectives were my concern. And agreed, death company will be getting zero objectives for me. 

10 man intercessor, or two five mans?

What about vanguard vets with jump packs (for mobility) and storm shields (for survivability)? With the points I have I could do 10 vanguard vets, all with jump packs, 5 with chain sword and storm shield and five with dual chainswords. 

19 minutes ago, apathy ales said:

Thanks for the thought!

Yeah, I haven't played a single ITC mission yet, but objectives were my concern. And agreed, death company will be getting zero objectives for me. 

What about vanguard vets with jump packs (for mobility) and storm shields (for survivability)? With the points I have I could do 10 vanguard vets, all with jump packs, 5 with chain sword and storm shield and five with dual chainswords. 

Played against Jason at 1500 today and he went first but going second was good because I could control what I needed to hold and kill. 

I think it's fun. The question is, what secondaries can you pick and reliably get? 

35 minutes ago, apathy ales said:

As a general rule-of-thumb, I prefer to buy all of my Space Marine units in the full ten-man strong size. Their Combat Squads special rule allows you to split them into two five-man demi-squads before deployment at the start of the game*. So if you feel that the mission or the match-up will favor having two squads of five, you have the option in your back pocket, however you can never make two squads into one. 

Obviously, if you need to have two squads in order to fill out a Deatchment's Force Org, then you need to balance the CPs gained from the Deatchment versus the utility of having the flexibility of a ten-man squad.

* There's also a Stratagem that lets you do this during the game, but I haven't used it yet and it seems like a very niche case when it would come up. Still, it is there and who knows what might happen in a future game?

Given the way Blood Angels work, this isn't a bad idea. But this kinda duplicates the role of the Death Company, so I think you'd be better off with a Troops Unit for their objective secured rule. If you weren't running the Custodes, you'd probaby want a unit of Vanguard and a unit of Death Company (for punch) and a couple Tactical/Intercessor Squads (for holding).

Ok, a few thoughts. 

1. Secondary objectives. Think I'd be looking at ones where you get into opponents zone and different killing ones. So I think I'm in decent shape there.

2. Cp's is the other thing I'm worried about. I'd be starting with 8 and a plan to use 2 to get death company in opponents face right away. Cp's to split a unit in game just ain't gunna be there (i get pre game it's free). As far as needing to fill out another detachment, not enough points to do that, so I fave flexibility. 

3. Yeah, currently if I run pure Blood Angels I run Sanguinary Guard and Death Company , and two Battalions (3 scouts in one, 3 intercessors in the other). I just really like the jet bikes and wanna try and figure out if I can make them work.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

6 minutes ago, apathy ales said:

Ok, a few thoughts. 

1. Secondary objectives. Think I'd be looking at ones where you get into opponents zone and different killing ones. So I think I'm in decent shape there.

2. Cp's is the other thing I'm worried about. I'd be starting with 8 and a plan to use 2 to get death company in opponents face right away. Cp's to split a unit in game just ain't gunna be there (i get pre game it's free). As far as needing to fill out another detachment, not enough points to do that, so I fave flexibility. 

3. Yeah, currently if I run pure Blood Angels I run Sanguinary Guard and Death Company , and two Battalions (3 scouts in one, 3 intercessors in the other). I just really like the jet bikes and wanna try and figure out if I can make them work.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Have you listened to the Best General podcast? 

19 hours ago, apathy ales said:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [53 PL, 858pts] ++

+ HQ +

[6 PL, 124pts]Captain (1, Jump Pack > The Angel's Wing, Thunder hammer, Storm Shield)

-Warlord: 5. Gift of Foresight

[8 PL, 160pts] Chief Librarian Mephiston (1)  

+ Troops +

[4 PL, 80pts] Scout Squad (5, Cloaks, Sniper Rifles)

[4 PL, 55pts] Scout Squad (5, Bolters)

[4 PL, 55pts] Scout Squad (5, 4x Shotguns, Sarge w/BP+CCW)

+ Elites+

[27 PL, 384pts] Death Company (15, Jump Packs, 3x Thunderhammers, 4x Inferno+CCW, 8xHand Flamer+CCW)

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP(Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [54 PL, 970pts]

++ + No Force Org Slot + Open the Vaults (1 Relic)

+ HQ +

[9 PL, 160pts] Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike (1, Auric Aquilis, Hurricane Bolter) 

+ Fast Attack+

[15 PL, 270pts] Vertus Praetors (3, Hurricane Bolters)

Total: [107 PL, 1828pts]

Your format was pissing me off. Fixed ^

Honestly I'd dump the death company, you have a ton of other really good melee. With the new bolter rule, intercessors are pretty solid. So with that extra 500 ish points you can add another smash captain, 3 squads of intercessors and another hq. Which will net you 5 more cp from another battalion. Which allows you to fully run your smash captains and have more objects grabbers.

13 hours ago, apathy ales said:

I do, and I really like it. I'm on episode 40 or so, so a little catching up to do, but not too far back. 

That being said, I do not have any interest in a blood angels/guard/knight list, so I've had a hard time taking a ton of advice because that has been his focus (so far at least). 

I just starred Wednesday or so and I am on 38....your style of list resembles Adam's