Beta Feedback: SOB

pretre

They're listening:

Battle Sister Bulletin: Part 2 – Beta Rules Feedback

SoBBulletin-Feb18-Header1snr.jpg

In our inaugural Battle Sister Bulletin, we took a look at some of the concept art that inspired the development of the range’s iconography. This time, we’re taking a look at their rules development…

When Chapter Approved 2018 first hit the shelves, we asked you – our lovely community – to get your Adepta Sororitas on the battlefield and send us your feedback to help our rules team make them as fun and exciting to play as possible. And you have!

SoBBulletin_Feedback-Mar4-Battleshot1yvf

First of all, if you were one of the many hobbyists that sent us your feedback, thank you very much for your help. Now that the worldwide playtest stage is over, the rules team are now in a position to write the finished version of the codex. That being the case, any feedback sent in from today onwards is unlikely to be of use to the development process, so for now, just relax and enjoy playing games with your beta rules as normal!

Of all the feedback we received, there were three main areas in the beta codex that most people felt needed improvement.

Acts of Faith

Army-wide abilities are always an integral part of any faction’s rules, as they affect not just one, but most (if not all) of the units within it. That being the case, it’s especially important that they reflect how the army fights while giving the faction a unique edge in battle. In the case of the Adepta Sororitas, many of their units are able to manifest Acts of Faith, representing the divine will of the Emperor lending aid to his loyal subjects in battle.

SoBBulletin_Feedback-Mar4-Battleshot2uvr

In the beta rules, each Act of Faith requires a Test of Faith roll to be passed in order for them to take effect. According to your feedback, the reliance on luck for the Acts of Faith to kick in has led to some games where these rules didn’t quite have the impact that players felt they should.

The Plan: The rules team are looking to rebuild the Acts of Faith system from the ground up to ensure they are both more reliable, and can be used to impact key moments in the battle – just as acts of divine intervention should. You will be as the Emperor Himself, bestowing blessings on your units as and when they are most needed.

Exorcist Missile Launcher

The Exorcist missile launcher is a devastating weapon, as its profile in the beta codex certainly suggests.

SoBBulletin_Feedback-Mar4-ExorcistMissil

Despite having the potential to inflict a whopping 36 wounds, many of you felt that the random number of shots it fires hampers its effectiveness on the battlefield. Should you roll a low number of shots, then fail some or all of the hit rolls for your precious few attacks, it can feel a little disappointing.

The Plan: The rules team are looking at how we can make this iconic, missile-launching organ a more consistent damage-dealing addition to your army. They have a few ideas already – heretics beware!

Celestian Squads

These veteran Battle Sisters are the fighting elite of the Adepta Sororitas, acting as the loyal bodyguards and sworn protectors of senior members of their Order. Even though they can be equipped with a selection of powerful wargear, your collective feedback made it clear that they struggle to compete with the other Elites choices in the army.

The Plan: The rules team will look to add a thematic new ability or two to the Celestians to help them have more of an impact on the battlefield without sacrificing their role as sworn guardians of their Order. After all, just because Celestians are protectors first and foremost doesn’t mean they can’t dish out some serious pain!

SoBBulletin_Feedback-Mar4-Sisters5iuvrgx

Well, we’d better stop pestering the rules team so they can get on with actually putting these plans into action! We’ll be back in a couple of weeks with some more Adepta Sororitas news. Until then, let us know what you would like to see more of in future bulletins on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Celestian Squads seem like the number one priority.  Such a long suffering unit.  To see almost zero use since 2rd edition is to truly find oneself in purgatory.

"A total rebuild" of Acts of Faith...uh oh.  We should be used to it by now of course.  I don't totally disagree, as the current system is fine if you're Ebon Chalice...and not fine if you're anything else.  And of course at that point you have a bunch of subfactions that literally have no REAL great reason for being there other than "add on" detachments.  But if you are playing pure sisters, as i like to do it's kind of Ebon Chalice or bust if you wanna' use those Acts.

The Exorcist thing surprised me a tiny bit.  They beefed it up already in the Beta Codex to being "Okay yeah, now i want one" (read:  3).  But that didn't satisfy a lot of people and i would suspect that they get a stratagem much like other factions get that will allow you to switch Heavy D6 to Heavy 6.  It makes the most sense as a solution.  Not sure if that would be more than a 1CP thing.  I think that will depend on how easy the army is to build into a Brigade (currently not too tough but you kind of have to commit to a lot of bodies which iworks NOW because the number of points is based o nbodies but may not work if it isn't).

Anywho, the Exorcist was not a complete shock to see on that top 3 complaints list but I'll admit: I did expect that maybe a Canoness with Jump Pack or perhaps more commentary on the Penitient Engines could make that top .  Penitient Engines are certainly better than before, but they are rare to see still and not in widespread use or discussion.  I suppose the fact that people are taking them at all is sort of proof though that they might have been fixed well enough to not make that top 3.  I dunno.

8 minutes ago, Dusldorf said:

Bloody Rose is at least as good as ebon chalice imo, and exorcists are def not good enough yet for exactly the reason cited - I tried it out for a few games and it was just too swingy. Maybe they'll move to 2d3 shots or something like that. 

2d3 shots would also be fine.

And the subject at hand is the Acts of Faith section.  To use them, the Ebon Chalice is really the only reliable way.  I mean everyone has their pet favorites of course and I love for example, Sisters Repentia and have since the White Dwarf Codex and totally love the production you can get from them outside Ebon Chalice.  So I'm not suggesting there is no argument to be made that an add on of this or that wouldn't be great.  But as for utilizing Acts of Faith to their fullest, I'm unwilling to give up th enormoty of a +1 on those checks.  Statistically huge, and it's kind of a downer when your Vessel of the Emperor plan goes to pot on a bad die roll.  The 1CP re-roll is cool but then you're spending 4CP and a Faith Point to do one thing.  It's a pretty cool thing.  But that is really expensive in the larger scheme of things.

Plus things being "order locked" can also suck if you split into two detachments also.  Learned that the hard way recently.  Oofta.

I wonder what other people are using.  We should poll the few players that there are and see what they have to say.  I'd be interested.

I'd like to trade all the variable number of shot weapons for static number shot weapons....Just adds more time to every turn having to roll how many shots each weapon has each time it fires. Not really sisters specific, but I hope their fix on the exorcists carries over to the other factions. 

23 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I'd like to trade all the variable number of shot weapons for static number shot weapons....Just adds more time to every turn having to roll how many shots each weapon has each time it fires. Not really sisters specific, but I hope their fix on the exorcists carries over to the other factions. 

The dice provide the drama!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

If the organ of Missiles was D3+3 I would like it. A sold 4 shots minimum is good it makes it more powerful and better than just d6

I think this is a giveth and taketh away situation.

Right now, exorcists are one of the best things in our book. If they make them even better, we're going to get a points hike.

I was deleting things with them, even with the random shots, it was one to two big targets got removed a turn. (Canoness for reroll 1's and vessels for splashed DG)