Squeak?

JuicySquig

Hello there,

First post here from an old gamer who is getting back into gaming for the first time in many of years. I have played a game or two with the TriCities group over at Adventures Underground, but that has been years ago.

I'm trying to find a group of people that might be interested in showing an old dog new tricks. I know that GW is looking at releasing Blood Bowl Season 2 and I am thinking of picking it up as it'd be only the second tabletop related thing I've picked up in almost a decade, outside of Go. I'd like to go Skaven, but I'm open to trying out any team really because it's been way too long since I've seen a Snotling touchdown.

Anyone play over here in Vancouver? I work graveyards in Portland so weekdays I'm working, and my morning starts at 7PM. But if anyone is open for well, practically anything, I'd be interested. Mind you, I don't even have dice anymore but well, baby steps, baby steps.

Thanks. 🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JuicySquig said:

Hello there,

First post here from an old gamer who is getting back into gaming for the first time in many of years. I have played a game or two with the TriCities group over at Adventures Underground, but that has been years ago.

I'm trying to find a group of people that might be interested in showing an old dog new tricks. I know that GW is looking at releasing Blood Bowl Season 2 and I am thinking of picking it up as it'd be only the second tabletop related thing I've picked up in almost a decade, outside of Go. I'd like to go Skaven, but I'm open to trying out any team really because it's been way too long since I've seen a Snotling touchdown.

Anyone play over here in Vancouver? I work graveyards in Portland so weekdays I'm working, and my morning starts at 7PM. But if anyone is open for well, practically anything, I'd be interested. Mind you, I don't even have dice anymore but well, baby steps, baby steps.

Thanks. 🙂

Hi @JuicySquig. I'm Weav and I also live in Vancouver. There are several Ordos that do. I'm very happy to teach you Blood Bowl 2020 once it comes out. Please ask questions!

• Like 1

I think the main question I have is where do most people play in this area? I'm kind of hoping to find a pick up game and possibly a D&D campaign, but I'm also wondering where to find a good selection of miniatures. I've been in the area for a couple of years now but no idea of the where or what as I've been mostly a working stiff. 

For play locations, there’s Guardian Games in inner southeast Portland, The Portland Game Store in inner northeast, and Dice Age Games in Vancouver. All of whom used to have somewhat regular AoS nights... at least, before the plague. You can almost always find games via Ordo too.

As for miniatures, Guardian has a tremendous stock of GW figures, Dice Age has a slightly smaller selection but their stock of third-party conversion bitz and hobby tools is incredible. The Portland Game store, well... They’ve got a very small selection. Mostly due to being much a smaller space, but also due to having nearly gone out of business at the beginning of the year. They have new owners, thankfully, but the plague shutdown has been hard on them.

This year has really disrupted a lot of the usual hobby games scene. 

• Like 2

Specific to Blood Bowl, most is played at the Ordo clubhouse on SE 7th and Main, or in people’s homes. Portland Game Store had a league, which I ran recently. I am unaware of any other in-person Blood Bowl in the area. Surprisingly, Blood Bowl seems to sell well. The stores just don’t run leagues.

And that's damn unfortunate! 😊

I called the GW store out in Portland and the guy got offended that it wasn't the current meta. Fine, cool, dandy - I get sales as I've done them, but Nuffle is not meta. Never was. 

I'd be very interested in playing a season with you guys. And thanks for having me. Nice to meet you. 

• Like 1

loathe the Games Workshop store in Portland. In early 2016, shortly after I moved to Portland from Detroit, I stopped in to the GW store looking for information about Age of Sigmar. I got treated so badly I wrote a scathing review on Facebook, Yelp, and Google Guides. I almost never leave negative public reviews. But...

I have never been so poorly treated by a Games Workshop Store. In fact, I have never been treated so poorly by ANY retailer, let alone a hobby game store.
Look, I've basically been working in sales in one form or another for 20 years. I've been a GW hobbyist for 25...

When I say "I tried Age of Sigmar when it first came out and didn't really get it..." That is an incredibly soft objection, the greenest of salesmen should be able to see that as an opening to SELL ME on the product.

"Hmmph. Well, it's not for everybody." is NOT the proper response.

"I mean, the models look great. But I don't know about the rules..." I replied, throwing the guy a engraved invitation to try to sell me a few hundred bucks in plastic minis and books.

"Yeah. Like I said," he said with ice in his voice, "It's not for everybody."

"I've been a Warhammer fan since '91," I said, trying to maybe get across to him that I was interested in learning about this game, "Age of Sigmar is just..."

"It. Isn't. For. Everybody." I swear to god, he actually sneered as he said this.

Portland has a half dozen independent hobby stores that would love to have me visit them. Guardian Games, Red Castle, The Portland Game Store, Things From Another World... They carry literally thousands of different games and every staff member at each of them can sell me on any one of them. With detail, with warmth, and with a genuine sense of loving the hobby.

You are a Games Workshop Store: you sell a mere two games from one single publisher. If I'm standing in your store and telling you I am a longtime fan with some reservations about the new game, you should SELL ME on the new game. Be welcoming. Be friendly. Be a SALESMAN.

But, no, you want to spit on me and my 25 years of fandom.

I haven't bothered to darken their door since. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JuicySquig said:

And that's damn unfortunate! 😊

I called the GW store out in Portland and the guy got offended that it wasn't the current meta. Fine, cool, dandy - I get sales as I've done them, but Nuffle is not meta. Never was. 

I'd be very interested in playing a season with you guys. And thanks for having me. Nice to meet you. 

There is another thread in this forum about a BB20 league upcoming, take a look if you like.