Contrast and Chill - Episode 6

jollyork

Contrast_and_Chill_1024.png

Da Yellow Bitz - Snotlings! 

To celebrate the release of Blood Bowl Season 2, I wanted to build one of the new teams created as part of the new edition. And what could be better than the looney hijinks of Snotlings? Not only would this be a fun project for using Contrast paints, it also (conveniently) checks the box as a good excuse for exhuming more of those ancient models from my bitz box and finally slapping some paint on them. As it turns out, I've been a greenskin fan - and specifically a Snotling fan - long enough to have a substantial pile of old models from the various generations of Citadel. When I got all the old stuff together with the new team box, this is what it looked like. 

image.png

Those of you with sharp eyes will see a bunch of squiggly beasts mixed in there. These were from the Rogue Trader days when squigs first appeared in the 40K Ork lore. They were helper creatures that served as pets, tools, raw materials (like oil), weapons (face-biters), and even hair (since Orks didn't grow hair naturally). And, of course, food when necessary. 

With so many old models, and so many new models in the new kit, it was fortunate that the BB roster both allows and encourages far more than the standard 16-man roster. I decided to do a 50-50 split of old and new models, and then mix in extras like the squiggly beasts across all of the models as base decorations. Once I had put them all together, I had a fun mix of Rogue Trader runts, Fantasy Battle snots, Underworlds minions, and even some genuine Blood Bowl Snotlings. 

image.png

One of the coolest new additions to the team is the Pump Wagon. A zany contraption of mass carnage on the pitch, it's also a very cool new model. However, you get two on your roster and two in the kit, but I didn't want two identical models on the team. Time to get converting! With all the various bitz scattered across my hobby desk, I went to town choppin' and slicin' and gluin' it all back together in a new shape. And here it is, my alt Pump Wagon build, featuring a turbo-cooled, halfing-fed, twin-squig motor!

image.pngimage.png

With the models sorted out, it was time to spray. I went with a mix of Wraithbone and Grey Seer. To be honest, I don't entirely remember why. It might have simply been pragmatic because each of the spray cans was nearly empty and I didn't want to run out in the middle of spraying. 

image.png

And now to the money shot: painting with Contrast. I knew from the start that I wanted to do every part of this project with Contrast paints, and I also knew I wanted the team colors to be bright and vibrant, just like the energy of the Snotlings. I also figured that Snotlings, being short of stature and even shorter of brain, would recognize that opposing teams made their players wear the same colors, but wouldn't truly understand the concept of uniforms. And just like that, Da Yellow Bitz were born. Not just a clever color scheme, but a fitting team name for this mob of riotous rookies. The players are required to dip their hands, feet, and nose (Da Bitz) into yellow fungus paint (Iyanden Yellow) prior to the match. Some of them were a little too enthusiastic and dipped whole arms or legs in. Besides the paint "uniforms," they scrounged together bits of blue (Talassar) and orange (Gryph-Hound) clothing. With all these bright colors, I went with a darker green (Militarum) for their skin. A few touches of red (Blood Angels) for some variety in the squiggly beasts and they were all set! 

Here we go with the finished photos! 

The first group of Snotlings, these are all the new designs from the new kit, mixed with old squiggly beasts. 
image.png

The second group of Snotlings, these are classic models from Fantasy Battle and Rogue Trader. 
image.png

Fun-Hoppas. On the left is the standard model, on the right is one converted from the Snotling in the Goblin team kit and the spiky cave ball from the Underworlds Goblin Fanatic. I used green stuff to make some eyeballs and a mouth, then stuck a Skaven tail in as a prehensile tongue. The skin is Gryph-Charger Grey (as you know, one of my favs), the eyes are Aethermatic Blue, and the pink parts are Magos Purple
image.png

image.png

Fungas Flingas, on the right is the standard model, on the left is a conversion from a 40K ammo runt and a bunch of fungus! 
image.png

Stilty Runnas, on the left is the standard, on the right is a conversion from an old squiggly beast and a classic WFB Snotling mounted on top. 
image.png

Pump Wagons, standard on the left and squig-powered on the right! 
image.png

Trained Trolls. Neither of these are standard Blood Bowl models. On the left is my converted Underworld Troll borrowed from that team, and on the right is a new conversion from the Warhammer Underworlds Mollog kit. (note: neither of these were painted with Contrast - sorry, it's my cheatski on this project!) The Mollog troll has just put a stop to the deep route of a Human Catcher, and in the process of giving him a hug, squeezed a bit too hard and popped his head off - oopsy! 
image.png

The Coaching Staff. Another Underworlds model for the coach (center), a converted squig hopper from various leftover bitz (left), and on the right, a very old character Snotling from a legacy Warhammer Quest expansion (Lair of the Orc Lord, right?). 
image.png

Team Photo! 
image.png

Hope you enjoyed this episode of Contrast and Chill. If you haven't played Blood Bowl yet, it's the best game in the ooniverse! The new edition is a great time to join in the fun, and Snotlings are like doubling-down on the fun-ness! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a small (snotling-sized) update to this band of merry little blighters. Thanks to @splinx I was able to add a couple of the original Blood Bowl Snotlings from 2nd edition. Back when Space Marines had beaks and small really meant small. As with the other runts, they are, in fact, so small that there's plenty of room on the bases to add decoration and I mixed them up with some modern accoutrements, like toadstools and a fungi-snail... or maybe it's an es-snot-go? 

image.png

image.png

Happy New Year! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1