I wonder why GW went with TK over VC for The Old World

Yes, a huge motivation for this question is because I'm a big VC player. Of course I wish Vampire Counts had been a core army...or I should actually say, Undead. I remember when there was just an Undead book and not Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings. Not that TK aren't cool...they very much are...I even used to own the army, but they just seem odd choice to include now. I don't recall ever reading of TK invading the empire or Brettonnia. I know the Brets did a crusade into the realm of the TK....but is that really enough to make them a core army? I mean wouldn't it have just been better to have an Undead book (not vampire counts specifically) but instead focus on the Necromancers that were in the old world around that time. Sure, the vamps are quiet and reeling from their major losses....get that. Keep them as minor characters in an army...make the focus on necromancers...but it seems much more logical to have an actual old world undead force than to try to bring in TK from way out in the fringe.

Most of this is coming from the Devil's Advocate side of me. I'm stoked to have TK back in the spotlight...I nabbed their army when they first came out. I only got rid of them when I came to the realization that between the two undead armies I had, the VC were going to win out with my time and effort...and so having two undead armies didn't make sense to me (I know, stupid man...should have kept them anyways). So happy to have that army back. But in this new era of Legacy vs Core...I'd much rather have TK as a Legacy army than the Vampire Counts (Empire Undead).

Hmmm, maybe that is the direction I'll take my VC legacy army. Skip the vamps and just go with necromancers and other undead. Won't be as strong martially, but maybe will be an interesting opponent. I'll have to play around with some lists.

Anyone else have thoughts on why they went with Tomb Kings over Vamps?

• Like 1