how does void shield projector works...

Xavier319

Okay, so, the void shield fortification from stronghold assault says...

that any shooting attack that originates from outside the void shield zone and targets something within the void shield zone, hits the shield first. So here's a question.  Does the target 'within the void shield zone' have to be COMPLETELY within, or does it just have to touch the void shield zone? it does not specify.

That's not terribly helpful, Pax. Especially since within is a defined term. I'll dig up the quote tomorrow morning.

Sorry, you are right, I wasn't being as helpful as I should be.

Here:

Projected Void Shields: A Void Shield

Generator has a single projected void shield.

It can be upgraded to include additional

layers of void shielding.

Each projected void shield has a 12" area of

effect (measured from any point on the Void

Shield Generator building), known as a Void

Shield Zone. Any shooting attack that

originates from outside a Void Shield Zone

and hits a target within the Void Shield Zone

instead hits the projected void shield. If a

unit is within 12" of more than one Void

Shield Generator, and so within more than

one Void Shield Zone when it is hit,

randomly determine which of the buildings’

projected void shields is hit.

Each projected void shield has an Armour

Value of 12. A glancing or penetrating hit (or

any hit from a Destroyer weapon) scored

against a projected void shield causes it to

collapse. If all the projected void shields have

collapsed, further hits strike the original

target instead. At the end of each of the

controlling player’s turns, roll a dice for each

projected void shield that has collapsed; each

roll of 5+ instantly restores one shield.

The SA FAQ modifies it with an unrelated note here:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/7th-faq/Stronghold_Assault_v1.0_May14.pdf

Unfortunately, the Void shields are very much a grey area in the 40k rules, at least in regards to the AoE version. If you want an attempted clarity, it really depends on how you visualize the void shields functioning. If you think of them as an umbrella of energy, only covering attacks from above, than a unit not completely under the shield would only be protected when a model covered was having shots resolved against them. If you think of it more of an aura that surrounds units within a certain distance of the generator, then units partially covered are still all considered defended by the void shield.

In regards to Professor X's question, it is very much unclear, especially with larger units partially covered attempting to shoot at other units partially covered. With vehicles and barrage weapons, it's a bit easier, as the point of origin for the attack is easier [in rules] to narrow to a specific spot.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I just find the AoE void shields to be a big pain in the 40k rules. I like the ones that pertain to a specific unit, as those are very clear cut in how they function.

EDIT: As an additional note of unclarity, the FAQ above talks about blast and template weapons, but refrains from covering the point of origin issue. In example, barrage weapons resolve as if the shot originates from the center hole, so a unit hit by barrage would normally be unprotected via void shields due to the shot originating from within the AoE. The FAQ implies that it covers this, but then doubles back and says it only applies to units protected by the void shields. So, as written, this FAQ update doesn't address the barrage issue, but seems to solely serve to limit the number of hits from template and blast weapons that aren't barrage.

They also still havn't addressed if the void shields are considered buildings/vehicles for the purposes of effects that function against vehicles or buildings specifically. As is, they are a third "type" of unit with AV.

Actually I think the rules are a bit more clear now with 7tth edition and the faq`s finalizing the argument on the effects of blasts on voidshields...

Heres my reasoning...if cover is given on a model by model basis now then wouldn't the VS zone or protection just effect the models that are under it while the ones outside it would be unprotected?

Seems pretty clear to me.

And I would assume then that if it was a blast that ended up hitting part of the unit under the VS then those under the shield portion would not be effected though the blast would still hit the shield(one hit) while the others under it would all take the unprotected hits as normal.

Paxmiles wrote;

"EDIT: As an additional note of unclarity, the FAQ above talks about blast and template weapons, but refrains from covering the point of origin issue. In example, barrage weapons resolve as if the shot originates from the center hole, so a unit hit by barrage would normally be unprotected via void shields due to the shot originating from within the AoE. The FAQ implies that it covers this, but then doubles back and says it only applies to units protected by the void shields. So, as written, this FAQ update doesn't address the barrage issue, but seems to solely serve to limit the number of hits from template and blast weapons that aren't barrage."

The amendment states that "weapons that use template or blast markers"...A barrage weapon uses a blast marker...isint that all that's needed for clarity here?.

I know what you are getting at with Barrage blasts determing cover saves from the center hole and all that..but in the case of a "Projected Void shield" I don't see it ever even getting to the "determine cover saves" part as it hit the voidhield first and in effect gets to try to knock It down instead.

I Havent had a rules squabble in a while :tongue:

Whether or not a model is protected by the Shield will be determined on a mode-by-model basis, which may mean some models in a unit are while others are not. Since range is always measured on the closest point to a model, checking to see if a model is "within 12" of the VSG will always likewise use the closest point on the model- so even just having one corner of a vehicle will be sufficient.

• Like 1

The amendment states that "weapons that use template or blast markers"...A barrage weapon uses a blast marker...isint that all that's needed for clarity here?

If only. The same amendment refers to models protected by the void shields which are hit by weapons with the template or blast weapons. Issue is that if a barrage weapon lands within 12" of the generator, the point of origin is the center hole, so the models are not eligible to be protected by the void shield, despite the weapon hitting them with a blast weapon.

I do think it's an oversight by GW and you've got it right, but that isn't what it says.

Anyway, the point isn't a rules squabble, but to explain my sarcasm earlier at the greyness of these rules. I really don't care enough on this subject to properly squabble. I was just paying my respects to professor X, which pretre pointed out, I had rudely brushed off.

If only. The same amendment refers to models protected by the void shields which are hit by weapons with the template or blast weapons. Issue is that if a barrage weapon lands within 12" of the generator, the point of origin is the center hole, so the models are not eligible to be protected by the void shield, despite the weapon hitting them with a blast weapon.

I do think it's an oversight by GW and you've got it right, but that isn't what it says.

Anyway, the point isn't a rules squabble, but to explain my sarcasm earlier at the greyness of these rules. I really don't care enough on this subject to properly squabble. I was just paying my respects to professor X, which pretre pointed out, I had rudely brushed off.

The shot originates from the center for wound allocation and determining cover saves. If you're onto allocation of wounds you've already progressed past the point of hitting things inside the shield.