Burnt models?

That flat black color that appears on wood after it burns, how to paint this color this on a model?

In my case, I'm looking into battle damage on my Firestorm Armada space ships. I'm planning to make it looks like laser burns, but I'm not sure how to make that black charred smoke-stain work on the model.

If you don't want to go with the laser-etching idea, I would second the pigment idea; the ability to manipulate pigments after you apply them will let you dial it in to a look you like.

You were serious? Sorry, just saw the short sentence with an exclamation point at the end and figured it was a joke.

How...where would one acquire a laser engraving device safe for resin models? I don't own one, and haven't really considered them something a person would own without a related business. Nothing wrong with the idea, just not sure how to execute it.

You were serious? Sorry, just saw the short sentence with an exclamation point at the end and figured it was a joke.

Nope, if I was joking I would have mentioned a shark-mounted option.

...okay, maybe I was joking.  But probably not.

How...where would one acquire a laser engraving device safe for resin models? I don't own one, and haven't really considered them something a person would own without a related business. Nothing wrong with the idea, just not sure how to execute it.

Most modern trophy shops have an engraving laser; I bet you could find one that employs somebody geeky enough to give it a shot.

• Like 1

Hmmm...

The point is just to achieve that color, like with paint. I should be able to get the shape right with normal conversion/sculpture techniques.

I suppose if the idea is just to use actual fire, instead of painting it that color, the laser engraver, a red hot sewing needle, or an open flame would do the trick.