SturmWolf! Plus Other SW Stuff

WestRider

Just crappy cellphone pics right now. I'll do some better ones when I get the magnets done. Not going to be swappable between Wolf and Fang, but I want the option for Multi-Meltas or a SkyHammer. Also, right now the sponsons are taped on because I ran out of glue :P

tumblr_nach14e1Ks1rl619zo2_500.jpg

It's not a terrible build, but there are some tricky bits. There are a few places where it's kind of hard to tell exactly where the two pieces are supposed to line up, and a couple of places on the main hull and engine pods where it's really easy to leave a gap if you're not paying attention.

Definitely have all pieces for the main hull assembly off the sprue, cleaned up, and ready to go before you start in on that stage. I for some reason just clipped and cleaned the bits for one sub-assembly at a time, and nearly got myself in trouble with some glue that set with some parts slightly out of position for where the last side plate needed to go.

Lastly, there are some seriously tiny bits on here, especially on the turret. Maybe take a Benadryl or something before doing that sub-assembly, because a sneeze there could be disastrous ;)

Fortunately, I had my grandmother's cat around to help out :3

tumblr_nach14e1Ks1rl619zo1_500.jpg

• Like 2

I'd also note that the Sponson weapons are pretty easy to magnetize, and it would even be pretty easy to magnetize the Sponsons themselves. I mention the latter because there are doors modeled behind them, suggesting that at some point there may be another variant with Access Points there instead of Sponsons. Or for those who want to House Rule such a variant.

Another possibility for House Rules is the top turret. It's the same size turret ring as on Razorbacks, Predators, and Land Raiders, giving the option of putting various weapons on top of a StormWolf, or putting the TL Hellfrost Cannon on a Predator or something.

The Lascannon/Stormstrike Missiles, on the other hand, would be kind of a pain to magnetize. If you're doing a StormFang, you're probably gonna want to figure out which you want first.

I have trouble paying attention to video tutorials. Keep spacing out. I need something static, so it's easier to look back up the page when I realize I missed something.

I may have some left over, and if I do, you've got dibs, but I do also have a couple of Rhinos and another Land Speeder I need to wolf up.

I really want to figure out something that could be a SW hot rod, so I can put the top bit from the Storm Fang on it XD

Also, I glued them on before trying it, but I figure the Sponsons could fit on a Land Raider or Predator pretty well, for more House Rule shenanigans, or to kitbash a MkIIB Land Raider.

I found that the turret doesn't sit very well in the turret ring, and tended to fall off, but gluing a spare 25mm base underneath sorted that out nicely.

• Like 1

Okay, so I finished my Stormwolf.

- Magnetized the MM, that was easy. Magnet in the back, strip of metal on the MM.

- Magnetized the Lascannons. I'm not happy with these yet.

- Left the front door (including teeth top thingy) and the top slidey bit unglued. The door is fine since it holds. The top slidy thing will need something to hold it.

- Back door Trying to figure out how I want to do that. I like the back fin of the Stormwolf, but probably need the door available for Stormfang. Right now, it is resting in by tension.

- Dudeguy is assembled but not glued at the waist.

- Glass is not glued on.

Yeah, I didn't bother making it swappable to a StormFang. That looks like it would complicate things a lot further. I just glue the doors closed and paint over the canopies on all my vehicles, too, I've got too much going on to deal with interiors.

And yes, this is great kit. I'm sure I'll eventually pick up at least one more, maybe two.

I change lists a lot, too, but they do tend to be within a certain band, and I just don't really see a place for the StormFang in that band.

I've gotten kind of touchy about working doors, because my usual opponent has all of his set up so they can open, and they fall open constantly during our games, and so much time gets wasted as he tries to get them to stay closed again so he can move dudes into that space. So I just glue everything shut now :D

Started the second one who'll be a fang.

Pro tip: magnetize before assembly. (The first one I forgot to magnetize the lascannons until last)

Here's a pic of how I did the missile/lascannons. Magnet on sprue inside, flat metal wire on weapon.

Also, I think my wife just convinced me that I need to put grab chains on the stormwolf wings and nose so blood claws can ride into battle in style.

post-1354-0-98573700-1408256741_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Second one went together a lot smoother and faster.

- Magnetized the missiles first before assembly. Key!

- Magnetized the whole Helfrost Destructor assembly and front panel. (Put magnets on the wolf skull and top thingy that go over the helfrost. Put small strips of metal on the pipes that are on the HFD, so the whole thing is held to the top of the hull. Glued HFD to front panel thingy and put two small pieces of sprue on the inside of the front panel to keep it up (They lay on the floor of the inside and push it up to the magnets).

- Magnetized the backdoor, since this one didn't pressure fit into the space for some reason.

- Leaving the top part that covers the razorback hatch just laying on top for now. I may magnetize, but gravity seems to work on this one.

- Drilled a hole for the magnetized multi-meltas this time. Sunk magnet in sponson, strip of metal on MM.

Now on to priming and painting.

• Like 1