Automated fire...

Just verifying, when using automated fire from a building, like the FSR, we fire at the nearest eligible target for the weapon, not just blindly firing at the nearest enemy, right?

Basically, if I take the battle cannon and my nearest model is a flyer or a callidus that just came from reserve or otherwise requires snap shots, which battle cannons can't do, I target the nearest unit that I can shoot with a battle cannon, right? Likewise, if I use the interceptor rule to fire the quad icarus, I target the nearest unit that arrived from reserve this turn, not the nearest unit, right?

Strictly by RAW, it just fires at the nearest Unit within Range and LoS, regardless of whether or not there's some other factor prohibiting that shot. Having it instead fire at the nearest eligible target seems like a better way to play it, but I can't find anything that actually says that.

That's how I read it too.

I have noticed that the 7th BRB seems to use the term "target" and "shoot" synonymously in most cases. This is, of course, a throwback to last edition where you had to be able to shoot them in order to target them. Another example is that one where you can use the split fire rule to target two units, while your unit has only a single shooting attack and the second use of targeting is for charging purposes only - it's fine, but I really don't think its intended to function like this.

So, if I play it as the nearest eligible, do you think it would create issues?

Josef: I think what Pax was indicating is this. A Callidus pops up within an inch of an enemy unit to use shredder and whatnot. Next turn, Pax has to target nearest unit. (Callidus) When he places the large blast, it covers the Callidus and some of Pax's models, making it illegal to fire at since you can't purposefully lay a blast template down over friendly models when firing.

Does he have to fire at her, or the next closest unit?

• Like 1

OOOOH.  I see it now.  Well I think it fairly obvious that it would be eligible models...  by definition.  Eligible means eligible.

But that makes more sense now.  Eligible is the way to go there for sure.

Awesome, that's enough consensus. 2x ordo regulars agree, plus myself, and no one voices major opposition.

Josef: I think what Pax was indicating is this. A Callidus pops up within an inch of an enemy unit to use shredder and whatnot. Next turn, Pax has to target nearest unit. (Callidus) When he places the large blast, it covers the Callidus and some of Pax's models, making it illegal to fire at since you can't purposefully lay a blast template down over friendly models when firing.

Does he have to fire at her, or the next closest unit?

Re-reading, the issue with the callidus is that the current rules for her require snap shots to shoot here when she arrives from reserves. So she appears and shreds. next turn, if she's the closest, does my large blast still target her and auto-miss because blasts can't snap, or do I pick the next closest target?

A flyer is another example of a unit that you can't fire blast weapons at.

though I think your point, regarding friendly models is also correct, and just one I hadn't considered.

On subject, if my opponent get's so close to my automated fire building that I either can't draw LOS from the weapons to them, or I can't legally place the blast without hitting my own building, I target the next nearest, right?

Re-reading, the issue with the callidus is that the current rules for her require snap shots to shoot here when she arrives from reserves. So she appears and shreds. next turn, if she's the closest, does my large blast still target her and auto-miss because blasts can't snap, or do I pick the next closest target?

A flyer is another example of a unit that you can't fire blast weapons at.

though I think your point, regarding friendly models is also correct, and just one I hadn't considered.

On subject, if my opponent get's so close to my automated fire building that I either can't draw LOS from the weapons to them, or I can't legally place the blast without hitting my own building, I target the next nearest, right?

No because blasts cannot snap shot.  The Callidus makes itself ineligible for blast weapons.  

• Like 1