Swedish Comp?

Thatdave, what you're saying makes sense, and at 2800 in my opinion, the distortion isn't bad. But, what is important to be aware of is that there will be some distortion in power level.

For example, the soft shooting cap for both DE and HE is 40. That number is based on the game impact of 40 "shots" from each of those armies against 2400 points of opponent. If you were to say, go up to 4800, the soft shooting cap would be so restrictive that BS shooting would be pretty terrible. But, instead of doubling the size of the armies, you're increasing by 25%. So, that means the soft shooting cap will be *slightly* too low. Now, you could say, "well, just change the soft shooting cap to 50." The problem with that is, that not all of the taxes are spelled out that way, the shooting cap is by far the clearest. For example, the artillery point cost chart is designed to apply a "balanced" cost to artillery in a 2400 point game. Well, should that chart change at 2800? Basically every entry that goes up in cost the more of it you take is at a slight disadvantage compared to units with a linear cost scale when you increase the point size of the game.

That said, 2800 is not a huge point increase, and I think overall (at least in it's current state) you'd be super happy with the results!

I unit of 25 warlocks (+ tax for having MR2 in the army) is 256 comp points.

There are certain things swedish effectively bans =P (for good reason!)

-32 is pretty impressive though!

*edit added a block of 100 witches for 484 comp points.

Assuming full command on both I've got 635 points left to play with and I'm at -44! Weeee obscenely sized units.

*note, swedish does not support the idea of obscenely sized units.

Well something around the standard Netlist WE that's all the rage rolls in around a 0

I also struggle with VC.

It's interesting to me how valued Red Fury is. For example I could have two mounted Vamp Lords with QuickBlood and a magic weapon for less comp points then I could have one mounted Vamp Lord with QuickBlood/Red Fury and a magic weapon. I mean, Red Fury is great and all but better then a 2nd Vamp lord? Crikey.

Swedish comp is used at the US Masters (and so will also be used at the King of Cascadia tournament). I've actually spent a bunch of time on the Swedish forums (via Google translate) understanding how the comp works over time.

The previous point about special characters is not quite accurate, because there are plenty of events that allow them. Any event that ended up being dominated by some kind of SC or SC combo would very quickly get comped - this is version 14 of the comp since 8th edition came out, so it's constantly adjusted and updated roughly once a quarter.

As an example, Queek Headtaker is lightly comped in Skaven, but if you upgrade one unit of Stormvermin to be his bodyguard, the comp for that unit DOUBLES.

You'll find that very common combos are comped to encourage list diversity. And the main push behind the comp is to discourage certain builds that are considered un-fun by the majority of players (avoidance, unit spam, magic spam, huge steadfast/Unbreakable units, etc.)

I'm generally not a fan of comp, but Swedish is something I can absolutely get behind as a way to accurately rate the competitive power of lists.