USA Master's FAQ

An updated Masters FAQ has been produced and is on the wargamersusa website.  With that being said, I have read it and found 1 ruling which completely disregards the Warhammer Official FAQ MRB.  Here we go.

WFB USA Masters FAQ v1.0, dated 10/01/14, page 6

4.48 How do we resolve the Spirit Leech/Unmodified Leadership/Inspiring Presence dilemma?

The caster and the target will use the highest Leadership value available to them within the unit, but may use the Inspiring Presence if in range.  Neither the caster, the target, nor the models with Inspiring Presence will have their Leadership changed by items/spells/abilities which modify Leadership (such as Doom and Darkness, The Standard of Discipline, Aura of Dark Majesty etc).

That above FAQ contradicts the following:

WARHAMMER RULEBOOK, Official Update Version 1.8

Page 5

Q. If a unit taking a Leadership test has a modifier to its Leadership, will the modifier still apply if the unit uses the General's Leadership because of the Inspiring Presence special rule for example? (p.10)

A. Yes

Page 5

Q. When taking a Leadership test, sometimes you have to take it on your unmodified Leadership.  What is your unmodified Leadership? (p.10)

A. Your unmodified Leadership is the highest Leadership characteristic in the unit.  So the Leadership from any characters in the unit itself (but not from outside the unit, from Inspiring Presence for example) with a higher Leadership can be used unless specifically stated otherwise

Page 11

Q. If an enemy unit is affected by the Doom and Darkness spell, and the unit is within the general's Inspiring Presence radius, does the Leadership value conferred by Inspiring Presence suffer the modifier even if the General is not affected? (Reference)

A. Yes

I now ask the following.

1) Why did the people writing the Masters FAQ not just give an answer to reference the correct page numbers for the Warhammer Rulebook FAQ?  The Masters FAQ was updated on 10/01/14, so they should have had this material when making the rule. 

2) Is there someone on Ordo Fanaticus who can contact the people writing the Masters FAQ to let them know that they are going against the Official GW FAQ?

3) In the event that my above two questions have been considered by the people who write and finalize the Masters FAQ, did they just say, "F it, we don't like that so we're modifying them for our tournaments?"  I hope  this isn't a case and is/was due to something which was just overlooked.

4) If the organizers of the Masters still elect to use their ruling and not those given to us in the Official FAQ, could we get a reason as to why?

Are you planning on going to the East coast to partake upon one the Masters events?  I don't know of any events on the west coast that use the Master's FAQs. 

From the Dimensional Cascade website for Sparkle Party Deathmatch:  Warhammer 8th Edition rules with army composition and Lore of Undeath from Warhammer Nagash and most current Games Workshop Errata and FAQ’s will be used .

And I don't think we are planning on using the Master's FAQs in the Black Sheep Brawl in March. 

I think you are worrying about something that wont ever affect you at all personally.

Because GW did not stay consistent in their use of the rule.  If they wanted Spirit Leech to be modified, which it is fully, they should not have said it uses unmodified leadership or at least changed the rule to reflect that thought.  They didn't.  Instead, they created contradictory FAQs where one states, as you quoted:

Q. When taking a Leadership test, sometimes you have to take it on your unmodified Leadership.  What is your unmodified Leadership? (p.10)

A. Your unmodified Leadership is the highest Leadership characteristic in the unit.  So the Leadership from any characters in the unit itself (but not from outside the unit, from Inspiring Presence for example) with a higher Leadership can be used unless specifically stated otherwise

and the other:

Q: Do units benefit from their General’s Inspiring Presence for the

purposes of spells that use Leadership, such as Spirit Leech or
Okkam’s Mindrazor? (p107)
A: Yes.

The two statements contradict each other due to the second not following the limitations on the first ( ie not being a specific statement as it uses two example spells that have very different wording).  The Master's document chose to overturn the GW ruling as it was inconsistent and instead go with unmodified meaning just that:  without modifier.

• Like 1

Are you planning on going to the East coast to partake upon one the Masters events?  I don't know of any events on the west coast that use the Master's FAQs. 

From the Dimensional Cascade website for Sparkle Party Deathmatch:  Warhammer 8th Edition rules with army composition and Lore of Undeath from Warhammer Nagash and most current Games Workshop Errata and FAQ’s will be used .

And I don't think we are planning on using the Master's FAQs in the Black Sheep Brawl in March. 

I think you are worrying about something that wont ever affect you at all personally.

Yes, I am planning on going to Ham Slamwhich and I asked if they used the Masters FAQ and they said yes.

Because GW did not stay consistent in their use of the rule.  If they wanted Spirit Leech to be modified, which it is fully, they should not have said it uses unmodified leadership or at least changed the rule to reflect that thought.  They didn't.  Instead, they created contradictory FAQs where one states, as you quoted:

and the other:

The two statements contradict each other due to the second not following the limitations on the first ( ie not being a specific statement as it uses two example spells that have very different wording).  The Master's document chose to overturn the GW ruling as it was inconsistent and instead go with unmodified meaning just that:  without modifier.

Hmmm, well then ok.  Although, there are 2 others parts that say no.  I would guess that majority would rule.  Oh well, rules be rules.  At least they made a decision, and that was really what I was looking for.