Highlander sm

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

What do you think best chapter tactic is for a highlander sm list?

I have been thinking ultramarines.

Given the likely hood that you would fill all force organization slots this would would give the most versatility.

I think that would make logical sense as the ultramarines CT works best when the army is varied.  

That being said, highland format might be the best use of ravenguard CT as getting scout on several different types of units is useful as well as the bonus movement to jump pack troops could be decent.  

White Scars CT is very good on a variety of units mostly because it is really good.  

If you're open to Forgeworld, try Lias Issodon from here:  http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/C/Charcterupdate.pdf

The Raptors have a similar CT to the Ravenguard, but without the jumper bonus (which is fine).  In addition, Lias comes stock with the warlord trait that lets him and 3 units infiltrate!  I could see infiltrating a unit of sternguard, vanguard vets, and devastators as particularly nice.  Also, the Raptors CT lets them shoot bolters as Heavy 1 with Rending.  Pretty cool, makes the stock bolter marine a bit more interesting, especially since they can scout up.  

Generally you can take as many troops as you need in Highlander, but some Highlanders dont allow that because of the "makes this or that a troops choice" type codex's.  Bikes are a good example, from the marine Codex.  the tournaments obviously may differ on this particular point.  

The SPIRIT of the format is not to duplicate.  So i would just shy from duplicates as much as possible and you should be fine.  But the majority of the Highlander formats Ive seen do allow the troops to alternate unlimitedly.  so Tac, scout, Tac Scout etc...

For giggles, I made a counts as Ravenguard using Raptors CT army in Highlander format.  

If I had to change out the tacs, that wouldn't be too hard.

Lias Issodon:  175

8 Honor Guard:  235
  4 Power Axes, 4 Power Mauls, Chapter Banner

10 Tactical Marines:  175
  Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma, Multimelta

10 Tactical Marines:  175
  Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma, Multimelta

5 Scouts:  60 + 45
  BP/CCW
  Land Speeder Storm:  Heavy Flamer

10 Sternguard:  240
  2 combi-meltas

Venerable Dreadnought:  125 + 35
  Multimelta
  Drop Pod

Stormtalon:  125
  Skyhammer ML  

10 Devastators:  180
  4 Multimeltas

Fire Raptor:  225

Storm Raven:  200

1995 pts
  • Like 2

Highlander breaks my brain a little. It's a neat idea, but I just like redundant units.

Re: the Raptor list. I like it. What about getting a sicaran instead of the storm raven? Does the Raptor CT/WL Trait allow infiltrate for vehicles? I feel like you should have some rides for the tacs and such. 

Yeah, I certainly broke the game wide open with that list.  

I'm pretty certain that's not what *I* said.  =)

As for the list of Flugers, can you fit a Drop pod in there for the Devastators?  Most Multimelta Devastators wont fire round 1 because the enemy will move away most likely with tanks or the like or just not position them there.  So getting some snap shots off in round 1 is better than not.  Also, the positional difference is WELL worth your consideration.

I'm curious, MrBigglesworth, what you had in mind?

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Is haven't had a chance to write up on but was thinking ultramarines.

Chap master bike

Full bike squad so can combat

Scout snipers

Full tact squad

Storm talon

Storm Raven

Lander speeders

Dev squad in razor

Thunder fire

Possiblely a impetial Titan

That should easily fit 2k but have sat down to actually right it out so this is a quick post.

Once I can get one out of battlescribe I will post my idea.

Didn't think to check the forgeworld by out might take a look.

• Like 1

As for the list of Flugers, can you fit a Drop pod in there for the Devastators?  Most Multimelta Devastators wont fire round 1 because the enemy will move away most likely with tanks or the like or just not position them there.  So getting some snap shots off in round 1 is better than not.  Also, the positional difference is WELL worth your consideration.

No need for a pod on the devies as they are infiltrating in with the honor guard and the sternguard and then scout moving up even closer (if needed).  Remember, Lias gives me 3 units plus himself that now infiltrate, and they also have scout because of the Raptors/Ravenguard CT.  

Those three units plus the scouts and the podding 'nought are all going to be in my opponent's face turn 1 with the tacticals scouted up and either putting out some rending shots at long range or moving to get into better position for later rounds.  The birdies all come in later to help out.  

It has obvious, glaring weaknesses, but for a highlander, theme-heavy list, I think it's pretty potent and interesting.

No need for a pod on the devies as they are infiltrating in with the honor guard and the sternguard and then scout moving up even closer (if needed).  Remember, Lias gives me 3 units plus himself that now infiltrate, and they also have scout because of the Raptors/Ravenguard CT.  

Those three units plus the scouts and the podding 'nought are all going to be in my opponent's face turn 1 with the tacticals scouted up and either putting out some rending shots at long range or moving to get into better position for later rounds.  The birdies all come in later to help out.  

It has obvious, glaring weaknesses, but for a highlander, theme-heavy list, I think it's pretty potent and interesting.

Which glaring weaknesses are those?

I don't know a lot of Forge World stuff by rote because I just get annoyed way too fast every time i promise myself I'll start committing it to memory.  The cost of those books alone is just...

So no I didn't realize he did that.  But that makes sense now and is a vry good way to do it.

Which glaring weaknesses are those?

Looking at it offhand? it can't kill Knights very effectively (the Stormraven helps some, but not really enough) and you could easily face 2-4 of those in a Highlander format. It struggles with superheavies in general, especially those with anti-Melta defenses. It has essentially no answer to Centurionstar at all, which is a very viable list in that format. It's heavily reliant on Marines on foot- anything with abundant AP3 or strong melee options will give it trouble. I'm sure if I dug at it a bit further there would be more stuff I could mention, but I think fluger has the right of it- it's a neat list, but not a particularly strong one.

• Like 1

Looking at it offhand? it can't kill Knights very effectively (the Stormraven helps some, but not really enough) and you could easily face 2-4 of those in a Highlander format. It struggles with superheavies in general, especially those with anti-Melta defenses. It has essentially no answer to Centurionstar at all, which is a very viable list in that format. It's heavily reliant on Marines on foot- anything with abundant AP3 or strong melee options will give it trouble. I'm sure if I dug at it a bit further there would be more stuff I could mention, but I think fluger has the right of it- it's a neat list, but not a particularly strong one.

Just for academic sake...  To be fair...  I don't think that saying its got glaring weaknesses against Knights is saying much.  a vast number of armies have a "glaring weakness" there.  Lol.  Seriously.  Pointing out that an army here or there does well against Knights is fine but is that really the majority and then are THOSE lists that are tailored for it heading all the way?  Knights are kind of a spoiler army.  They can derail armies headed for the finals while not generally headed there themselves because another spoiler army is the answer to them without itself being well rounded enough to carry the day.  Just being fair here.

Centurionstar has just two answers, so there again, in the vastness of 40K, is it really fair to say that's a glaring weakness when almost every army shares it? Even a miscast isn't enough motivation to stop a Librarian from out throwing dice at you to get his invisibility off when needed.  So there's that.  By that measure nothing without a Culexus might be considered a glaringly weakened force.  And the second solution to Centurion stars (and the one I like the most) works for any army pretty much.

But Ill agree to an extent nonetheless.  If someone puts those things you mention up against fluger, his A game will be required.  Then again isn't that what you expect of someone who wants to actually win it all?  Probably.

The REAL question is:  What's the mission.  All those things you mention may or may not be built for it.  Killing stuff is cool.  Going for the mission is cooler?  Yay missions!  The one thing that can make 40K sane is those.

I kinda disagree with most of that.  

Knights?  Not only do I have 3 flyers that can all hurt knights, I have lots of melta as well.  I'm not saying it's insta win for these guys, but they have the tools.  

Centurion Star I'm less concerned about simply because of the Raptor CT for getting rending on each bolter shot.  Again, not instant win button or anything, but helps a lot.  

The real issue (IMO) with this list is the last part, it's super immobile and it is low in numbers.  Hard to get to grips with armies that can keep it at bay and still shoot it up.  Heck, on the flipside, it could easily get mulched by a melee focused army that can get to grips quickly.  

Again, I don't think this list is all that potent at all, just that I don't think those particular threats to it are all that extraordinary.  

The REAL question is:  What's the mission.  All those things you mention may or may not be built for it.  Killing stuff is cool.  Going for the mission is cooler?  Yay missions!  The one thing that can make 40K sane is those.

This is actually the biggest weakness, the list is immobile and fairly flimsy when it comes down to it.  Playing to the mission actually hurts this list IMO.  

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

This is what I am thinking for 1850 sm highlander list:

+++ Highlander marines (1848pts) +++

++ Space Marines: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) (1473pts) ++

+ HQ (255pts) +

Chapter Master (255pts) [Artificer Armor, Auspex, Bike, The Shield Eternal, Thunder Hammer]

+ Troops (533pts) +

Bike Squad (268pts) [2x Grav-gun, 7x Space Marine Biker]

····Attack Bike [Heavy Bolter]

····Biker Sergeant [biker Veteran Sgt, Power Weapon]

Scout Squad (105pts) [4x Combat Blade, 4x Scouts]

····Land Speeder Storm [Heavy Flamer]

····Scout Sergeant [Melta Bombs]

Tactical Squad (160pts) [Flamer, Missile Launcher, 9x Space Marine]

····Space Marine Sergeant [bolt pistol, Chainsword]

+ Fast Attack (125pts) +

Stormtalon Gunship (125pts) [skyhammer Missile Launcher]

+ Heavy Support (560pts) +

Devastator Squad (205pts) [4x Missile Launcher, 4x Space Marine]

····Razorback [Twin-Linked Assault Cannon]

····Space Marine Sergeant [bolt pistol, Bolter]

Stormraven Gunship (255pts) [Hurricane Bolters, Twin Linked Assault Cannons, Typhoon Missile Launcher]

Thunderfire Cannon (100pts)

++ Imperial Knights: Codex (2014) v2 (Imperial Knight Detachment) (375pts) ++

+ Knights (375pts) +

Knight Paladin (375pts)

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

Feedback most welcome.