March 21 40K TOURNAMENT RESULTS!!! (Pg 3)

Lord Hanaur

The Best Overall is one way to go.  In this case, and in most cases, they end up being the same person.  They would have been here too.  But I've seen a guy go 1-2 and win Best Overall.  Frankly it didn't set well with me because he obviously WASN'T the best General and if "overall" had any real meaning, that couldn't have happened.  So I think the Overall award is fine and I don't mind it being an award in tournaments.  I'm not particularly crusading against it.  I generally don't include it.  People came to compete.  That's why they are there.  Some compete in one area and some in another.  Each to his own strengths.

We raffled all prizes, so the value of a "Best Overall" really doesn't matter anyways.  Someone who is a great sportsman, a great painter AND a great player is already rewarded by the extra chances he or she gets in the drawing.  If they were the same person, he or she would get more chances, enough of a reward I think.

Yes, of course, they aren't the best. But they are the second and third highest scored general. There is no best overall. That's all I'm saying. You could remove 2nd and 3rd and replace them with a Best Overall.

Best Overall is okay, like I said.  I "could" do a lot of things.

In the meantime there were two competitiors who were second and third place.  Worthy of recognition for their efforts. Competitors in the positive sense of the word are always striving.  It's nice to be recognized for the progress you have made in that regard.

The people who show up are doing so regularly and in record numbers because of the format I have gone with.  I love seeing 26 people show up to tournaments or in the case of a smaller store like this one, having every slot being filled before gameday.  I love that we have people coming all the way from the Tri-Cities, to Everett to Vancouver down your way.  Those are fantastic outcomes for an RTT.

If having no Best Overall award is troublesome for those attending, none of them have said anything about it.  Probably because to be honest, I don't think anyone misses it that much when there's more prizes to go around as a consequence!  The guy who painted his heart out gets rewarded and not overlookd as does the Best Sportsman so really, no one loses and more people gain.

By having a Best Overall, you diminish the Best General, Best Painted and Best Sportsman ever so slightly by not TRULY rewarding those efforts equally.  By treating them as actually BEING equally impotant and prize worthy, I think we accomplish the mission better.  Just my opinion.