Did I pick a bad time to build Fantasy?

My best advice to offer to someone looking to get into Fantasy at this point is to start out proxying like crazy to learn the rule system and get a feel for your play-style. From most of the rumors, 9th won't be changing much of the core rules of the game, but will be changing a lot of armys' model composition up quite a bit and potentially making it easier to get into the game via starter boxes and the like. I think that 9th will end up shaking veteran players up quite a bit, but for people just looking to get into the game, it will be great.

So, on a side note, what is the current buy in to get into this hobby? Not the models, as those vary by my preference, but just to get enough rules to play. As I'm reading it, seems like I need to buy the rulebook, the army book, and an end times supplement just to get the rules. Got this one right?

I recommend getting a small version of the core rulebook from the island of blood set on ebay. Should be about $20. Then you need the army book. The end times supplements are supplements, and for most armies I would say are totally unneeded, however, since you're talking about tomb kings - the suppliment is more needed than for other armies as it changes a couple core rules that hold the army back. (marching and crumbling).

Another option is to get some models you know you'll need, start painting, and wait a couple months. =P

So, on a side note, what is the current buy in to get into this hobby? Not the models, as those vary by my preference, but just to get enough rules to play. As I'm reading it, seems like I need to buy the rulebook, the army book, and an end times supplement just to get the rules. Got this one right?

No, you need an army book and the rulebook.  The End Times are generally treated as a side game by most of the community albeit a fairly popular one.  Personally I'd think of ET like Forgeworld in 40k:  some people expect it, a lot of people allow it if asked, and you don't need it to play.

I recommend getting a small version of the core rulebook from the island of blood set on ebay. Should be about $20. Then you need the army book. The end times supplements are supplements, and for most armies I would say are totally unneeded, however, since you're talking about tomb kings - the suppliment is more needed than for other armies as it changes a couple core rules that hold the army back. (marching and crumbling).

Another option is to get some models you know you'll need, start painting, and wait a couple months. =P

I wouldn't say ET is more necessary if you're playing TK than anything else.  Sure it makes them more powerful, but unless you're running a lot of Lore of Undeath you really only need to be aware of the crumble and march changes which is hardly worth buying the whole book.  If you plan to build an Undead Legions army, get a scan of the two pages of rule swaps for exact wording and then focus on the TK and VC books.  Again it's not necessary to play.