KoW this Sunday at WoW (4/12)

Brother Glacius

Gordi and I were able to throw down two 1000pt games last night. He brought his Kingdom of Men (empire) army and I threw some Orcs (beastmen) and then Undead at his list. The game was called Domination, where you only got points for units at the center of the board at End Game. Kind of interesting.

He tabled the orcs, but took heavy losses as well. Honestly, I feel like he just had too many units compared to me. The orcs in KoW have almost no shooting, and no magic. They are however, fairly tough. But the KoM have plenty of tools and his units were able to survive the initial hits and then counter attack to good effect.

Game two had me try out the undead. The game ended in tie, but I feel like the undead should have won that one. He got some great Nerve tests against the undead which saw units go too soon on average, and then an insane courage saved one of his units which resulted in the doom of an undead unit. Whole game flipped on one roll.

What really impressed me was how fast the games went. 90 minutes basically for both games. And at 1000pts, KoM fielded 9 units. 4 blocks of 20, a 5 man scout, a 10 man knight units, a cannon, and two characters. My orcs had 2 units of 20, a giant, a 6 troll unit, 5 cav, and a hero. The undead were much closer in units with 3 blocks of 20, a horde 40 unit, 5 cav, 3 mon.inf., a catapult, and two heroes.

• Like 2

Gordi and I were able to throw down two 1000pt games last night. He brought his Kingdom of Men (empire) army and I threw some Orcs (beastmen) and then Undead at his list. The game was called Domination, where you only got points for units at the center of the board at End Game. Kind of interesting.

He tabled the orcs, but took heavy losses as well. Honestly, I feel like he just had too many units compared to me. The orcs in KoW have almost no shooting, and no magic. They are however, fairly tough. But the KoM have plenty of tools and his units were able to survive the initial hits and then counter attack to good effect.

Game two had me try out the undead. The game ended in tie, but I feel like the undead should have won that one. He got some great Nerve tests against the undead which saw units go too soon on average, and then an insane courage saved one of his units which resulted in the doom of an undead unit. Whole game flipped on one roll.

What really impressed me was how fast the games went. 90 minutes basically for both games. And at 1000pts, KoM fielded 9 units. 4 blocks of 20, a 5 man scout, a 10 man knight units, a cannon, and two characters. My orcs had 2 units of 20, a giant, a 6 troll unit, 5 cav, and a hero. The undead were much closer in units with 3 blocks of 20, a horde 40 unit, 5 cav, 3 mon.inf., a catapult, and two heroes.

I imagine you guys used the 2nd ed rules?,did they work out pretty smoothly?

For the most part they did. We forgot a few things, but nothing too major. The disrupted rule is pretty key in the game now. For instance, most cav units now have a rule called Thunderous Charge. It stacks with crushing strength (makes it easier to wound). However, while CS always works, TC does not work if you are disrupted (ie, were charged in melee by an enemy unit). Therefore, if you can get a charge against a cav unit first, then their counter-charge in their turn will be much weaker due to the loss of TC.

I'm not quite convinced that the Orc list is well rounded enough. Will be happy to do more testing.

• 3 weeks later...