Do Rough Riders finally have love?

Stoobert

Hey so there's a new book/codex/formation/whatever out that supposedly makes Rough Riders not suck for once.  I haven't seen, it don't know what it's called, and don't know why.  BUT I KNOW I HAVE 15 ROUGH RIDERS (two with FLAMERS - cause you can) and I wanna know if I should play em.

Can some soul have mercy on me and explain what's up?

Thanks bros.

• Like 1

Hey so there's a new book/codex/formation/whatever out that supposedly makes Rough Riders not suck for once.  I haven't seen, it don't know what it's called, and don't know why.  BUT I KNOW I HAVE 15 ROUGH RIDERS (two with FLAMERS - cause you can) and I wanna know if I should play em.

Can some soul have mercy on me and explain what's up?

Thanks bros.

You mean thunderwolves? Those would be the "not sucking" variant of rough riders...

The problem with Rough Riders currently is that while they finally gave them a bit of love in a variety of ways, they are still just too spendy for what they do in an opportunity cost sense.  The problem with all the assault elements of IG is that blobs of guardsmen just do it better and still do what you want guardsmen to do (shoot and hold objectives).  

The problem with Rough Riders currently is that while they finally gave them a bit of love in a variety of ways, they are still just too spendy for what they do in an opportunity cost sense.  The problem with all the assault elements of IG is that blobs of guardsmen just do it better and still do what you want guardsmen to do (shoot and hold objectives).  

Agree. No toughness increase, no jink, dangerous terrain on 5+ armor when moving though difficult terrain, expensive, small squads, no HQ/IC access. Not to mention that GW hasn't had models for these since they switched to plastic and finecast.

I even looked into attaching a RW biker IC and I can't make it work (even to my standards). 

@Westrider, thanks!  Here's the full Frontline Gaming article on the Death Rider with excerpt.  I wish Astra Militarum RR were half this good.

The basic Death Rider is a really solid value for their 15pts per model price tag. You get a WS4, 2 wound cavalry Guardsmen with 6+FnP, the Death Korps morale rules, and a reroll on failed Dangerous Terrain tests. Not bad! They also have a 4+ stock, base 2 attacks, a pistol, Frag and Krak grenades, and a hunting lance. The lance gives them strength 5, AP3, I5 attacks. Nice! The Ride Master (Sarge) can also take melta Bombs, or a Plasma Pistol or Power Weapon. This is a solid little unit that is reasonably durable (T3 is a killer, though), and hits pretty dang hard. The Command Squad version features an officer, the option for a Commissar, and a Demo Charge. With WS4, and Krak Grenades, possibly a special melee weapon or Melta Bombs on the sarge character, they can continue to contribute even after the first charge against soft targets.