Selecting a demi company captain...

VonVilkee

So I'm working on organizing what I like to play into the new book. Looking at big picture 6 ish dreads by way of demi company and a CAD.

Question is this, the chapter master appears to be an upgrade of the captain. By referencing pg 130. Can I take a chapter master in the demi company? He is the captain data slate referenced for the formation and there are no restrictions on the options listed...

Cool not that I always will but was just surprised at the option. Don't need to double up on the demi for a chapter smasher to hang with devestator centurions. Just thoughts to keep it battle forged.

New thought! You can take formations in unbound right? This would give you obsec in an otherwise unbound list right? I like tech Marines and dreads so just playing around with my options.

I'm playing around with it and I'm decently happy needs fine tuning...

2k list

Captain(upgraded to chapter master) artificier armor eternal shield and a relic blade

3 tac squads in pods full up special and combi(2 Meltas, 1 plasma)

Small assault squad just to grab objectives (no upgrades)

6 devestators in pod 3 multi Melta

2 iron clad dreads (one basic, other is unique most hate him but I love him hurricane Bolter, seismic hammer heavy Flamer)

Then a CAD for a little more obsec

Tech marine full servo harness

Bolter scouts in a storm

5 sniper scouts

Venerable dread in pod multi Melta extra armor

Regular dread Lascannon missile Launcher

Regular dread dual twin auto cannon

These are some of my favorite models I have made and painted. I love the idea of the iron clad dreads with obsec advancing to mid field and posting up in terrain.

Looking at this I'll prolly assign the characters to the devestators...

I also might drop some of the dreads switch the devestators out for centurions get a fast attack pod for them and squeeze in a dual power weapon (maul, axe) &conversion beamer. In with the centurions the tech marine can move and fire the beamer :).

My idea is:

1500 points

Gladius Strike Force

Battle Demi-Company Detachment

Captain

- Powerfist

- Artificer armor

- Jump pack

10 man Tac Squad x3

-Plasma Gun

-Combi-Plasma

-Rhino w/Dozer blade

Devastator Centurions

- x2 Boob Missiles

- Sgt. W/ Gravcannon and Omniscope

Assault Squad

-Jump packs

Storm Wing Detachment

Stormraven

- No upgrades

Stormtalon

- No upgrades

Stormtalon

- No upgrades

And since they would get the Doctrines using the new formation structure, I would run them with Imperial Fists Chapter Tactics. Maybe Iron Hands. I'm still deciding on that one. 

I decided awhile ago that I'm sticking with imperial fists. If you noticed my signature I'm a big fan of the iron warriors, except chaos never does them justice. As the imperial fists are the other side of the siege coin I'm gonna just stick there. Iron hands would absolutely be my second choice!

RaW you can certainly upgrade to a Chapter Master but since none of the chapter master characters are allowed to be leading a demi-company there are some who think it is not an intentional allowance.  So could see an ITC ruling on it (its come up on the cast/feeds at FLG but dunno what way they or the council will lean) or if GW ever releases an FAQ they could address it.  

• Like 1

RaW you can certainly upgrade to a Chapter Master but since none of the chapter master characters are allowed to be leading a demi-company there are some who think it is not an intentional allowance.  So could see an ITC ruling on it (its come up on the cast/feeds at FLG but dunno what way they or the council will lean) or if GW ever releases an FAQ they could address it.  

It's worded exactly the same as the option to include a Captain in the Strike Force Command box, which does have the option for the Chapter Master SCs.

So based on being unbound but getting some obsec I'm intrigued by this list and I think I'll bring it to Fluger's game day...

Demi company sentinels of terra

Captain (artificier armor, relic blade, basic storm shield)

Three full pod Tactical squads (2 with Meltagun combi Melta, one with plasma combi plasma)

Two iron clad dreads (as above)

Devestator centurion min squad all grav omni scope

Assault centurions 3 (vet Sargent Melta gun upgrade and omni scope, two others get hurricane bolters)

Command squad 2 Meltas, Plasma, apothecary in a Pod

Then extra unbound stuff...

Tech marine full harness

Tech marine beamer two power weapons axe and maul

Two drop pods (for the centurions)

Sentinels of terra librarian lvl 2 bones of osarak (extra warp charge reroll failed psychic tests)

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

It's clear a chapter master can be taken to lead a Demi company as chapter master is an upgraded captain. You first buy captain then upgrade to chapter master.