National 40K Narrative Campaign

Hey hey lovely people!

Someone in the local community here in Portland turned me onto this event. It is a 40K narrative campaign that is set to begin on August 1st! It is a pretty neat campaign set to play out of 12 weeks. There are five factions with various motives struggling over a planetary system. Overall, it is a pretty neat concept and they seem to have their poop together when it comes to the nuts and bolts of running this type of campaign. 

More information can be found here: http://www.gamermancy.com/the-inquisition-war-intro.html

I am planning on participating, and thought I would bring mention is here in case other people are interested in playing as well.  :biggrin:

Now that the start date is getting a bit closer, I thought I would ping everyone again to see if there is interest in joining. I'm asking because I would like to try an organize some kind of kick off event; the campaign organizers themselves suggest 5,000 point 2 v 2 or 3 v 3 games (5,000 point per side split among 2 or 3 players.). I thought it might be fun, and shouldn't be too difficult to throw together. :)

Looks very fun, will probably sign up soon. I am running into 3 points of lacking clarity:

First, keeps mentioning a modified ally chart, but I can't seem to find it. Any clue where it is?

Second, can my hero take relics/unique wargear options? And can we modify them with hero levels?

And third, mentions something about a local game master who ensures balance for heroes and enables players to field legendary vehicles. Who is this?

EDIT: looks like custom heroes cost money. Nominal fees, but $2.99 for a single custom hero, and $4.99 for two heroes and 1 custom vehicle. http://www.gamermancy.com/store/p4/Heraphon_IV%3A_Registration_Level_II.html

So the modified allies chart is under "factions". When you pick a faction, you can only ally with codices that are in your faction. Example: Since my Space Marines are Ordo Xenos, they cannot ally with Sister of Battle because they are only represented in Ordo Hereticus. Additionally, I can't ally with a Space Marine player who is representing Ordo Hereticus or Ordo Malleus. 

According to the custom heroes rules, it looks like they can take relic wargear. They just can't be named heroes.

I think the local game master is for the players in South Florida where this game club is located.

So the modified allies chart is under "factions". When you pick a faction, you can only ally with codices that are in your faction. Example: Since my Space Marines are Ordo Xenos, they cannot ally with Sister of Battle because they are only represented in Ordo Hereticus. Additionally, I can't ally with a Space Marine player who is representing Ordo Hereticus or Ordo Malleus. 

According to the custom heroes rules, it looks like they can take relic wargear. They just can't be named heroes.

I think the local game master is for the players in South Florida where this game club is located.

I see that, but do my Faction buddies count as battle brothers? Or do they still follow the same restrictions (like tyranids being unable to ally with anyone...)

Signed up. Pretty sure I'm registered as "Daemon Hunting Task Force" with GK as my Primary army (Ordo Malleus faction), though I actually intend to field them in a very small capacity. Probably one IC and one squad of GK Terminators (Nemesis Strike Force detachment).

Okay, paid for, and submitted a single Custom Hero. We'll see if they accept it.

I went with:

Grand Master Rook

GK Brother-Captain (Grand Master, Soul Glaive, Psilencer) 220pts.

He took the "champion" path, and made 0-1 GK Interceptor Squads into objective secured troops.

I -really- like their special character/vehicle section. That's a pretty cool system!

Yeah, very neat idea. I think it is probably a bit iffy in balance, but so long as players are forced to use the same character, I don't think it's an issue. If they could create a new hero each game, you'd rapidly run into issues.

Yeah, very neat idea. I think it is probably a bit iffy in balance, but so long as players are forced to use the same character, I don't think it's an issue. If they could create a new hero each game, you'd rapidly run into issues.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to face an army of level 6 characters of course, they do include some limitations, they do have a mechanism for their points cost to increase... but yeah, I totally see where looking for a perfect balance would be nightmare.

That said - it's a narrative campaign. I love seeing special stuff like that in a narrative setting. I'm going to give the entire rules another read here today.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to face an army of level 6 characters of course, they do include some limitations, they do have a mechanism for their points cost to increase... but yeah, I totally see where looking for a perfect balance would be nightmare.

That said - it's a narrative campaign. I love seeing special stuff like that in a narrative setting. I'm going to give the entire rules another read here today.

Well, custom characters are limited to 1 per army, so there's that. A level 6 character is +100pts, too, so even the cheap HQs start getting compared to Draigo, Gabriel Seth, or others at level 6.

For balance, MCs and such can be custom heroes. Makes armies like tyranids a whole lot more viable in any capacity, as it makes their HQ into an objective secured unit. They can also make one non-MC elites or fast into a 0-1 troops slot with default objective secured (like objective secured lictors). At level 6, they can even get eternal warrior.

I was very tempted to field my Daemons for this, but alas, they just aren't ready yet.

Still, gotta wonder at what I could do with tyranids....

They are limited one per army? I missed that - and I did see one guy had two characters for a single army in the Gallery... maybe you can have more than one, but you can only -field- one at a time? I'll have to look closely, but if it's one per army, I definitely approve! :)

Yeah, only 1 per "standard" game, but you can have up to 2 in the 12 week campaign. I think they have some apocalypse size games that use both characters, if you have two. Not sure how the legendary vehicles/apex predators fit into all this.

Been tinkering with custom hero options. Mine is base 220pts, so he's looking at 320pts at level 6. My character must be able to contend with gargantuan creatures and super heavy walkers given his point cost. Otherwise, he'll just drag my army down.

So I can get a hero tank!?! My guardsmen squeel in excitement.

Kinda, Legendary vehicles are at the bottom: http://www.gamermancy.com/custom-heroes-legendary-vehicles-and-xp.html

"During the campaign, players may be authorized to  nominate a certain vehicle or non-HQ monstrous creature to receive special battlefield honors and experience for their contributions to the battlefield."

I'm a little unclear how this translates to heros per game, but I'm thinking it means 1 hero/legendary vehicle/apex predator per standard game .

But as for vehicle types allowed:

Must be a Heavy, Fast, or Elite slot.

Can't be a special character or named vehicle (longstrike is banned).

Can't be a LoW.

Can't be a super heavy.

All others are fair game, but I'll note that some of the special rules added really don't benefit all vehicle types. Was trying to make a legendary Soulgrinder and I kept running into issues where the rules just didn't add anything the soulgrinder didn't ready have.

Imperial knights are given an exception, and they can be a legendary vehicle, but they get Seneschal rules instead of the "paragon path" option.

Apex Predator is some sort of alternate legendary vehicle option.

Main limitation in all of this is that the 0-2 heroes and 0-1 legendary vehicle/apex predator, is still limited in being part of the primary faction/detachment which is selected in advance and fixed for the entire 12-week campagin. So if I run grey knights as my primary, I can't make a legendary DA land speeder, even if I consistently field DA allies.