Armada Questions

I see that the core set comes with unpainted squadrons. Are the squadron sets also unpainted?

What would you consider minimal purchase to have the "whole game"? By this I mean, decent balanced forces and that sort of "this is good" feel. I realize this is a moving target, but what does that currently look like? (I feel like in the end it should look like the battle over Endor :tongue: )

all squadrons are unpainted.  i actually painted over theirs for their regular ships as well.  its pretty easy lol.  get the core set as its the best bang for your buck.  you'll get all the small things you need and cards.  core set is pretty much a necessity.  after that it depends if you want to do rebs or imps or both and what kind.  they are coming out with wave 2 at beginning of october!  that will have 4 new ships including imp destroyer and home one.  also the named squadron ships which look neat.  i can also hook you up with a few ships for cheap as i have way too much at the moment and dont get enough air time to warrant my crazy amount lol.  so id aim for 300 points.  you can get the core set online for way cheaper which id strongly suggest that.  i got mine for 65$ but not sure if you can get it that cheap anymore.  probably at least 75$ though.  id go for one side first. you actually dont need to buy too much to get to 300 surprisingly!  just an additional ship plus squadrons and you are generally fine but im too add to just have that few of choices lol.  personally id buy the core, 2 ships and a squadron.  so like 150 bucks if you smart shop it.  that would do you well for a while... or you can just buy the core and that straight up gets you 150 points on both sides!

• Like 1

Dont panic covered the majority of the topic, the only thing I would add is they're upping 'standard' play to 400 points with wave 2.  Depending on your preferred faction/playstyle I'd put the realistic buy-in amount closer to $200-250 unless you want to run a minimal amount of ships loaded with upgrades that might not come into play.  

Like X-Wing, individual expansion packs/ships have specific cards, so for competitive play they're more or less forcing you to buy one of each ship if you want to have all the options available.

• Like 1

oh snaps 400....... i forgot that lol.  yea if you want all the card options you will have to buy the expansions.   amazon has them for pretty nice prices if you have prime i got most of my expansions there(and a few at my FLGS). but there are places to get those cards without purchasing them  :wink:  if you go full on amazon you can definitely get a ton of stuff for 200$(which is about what ive spent).  generally about 25% of retail...  you honestly can just buy a glad, core and squadrons for imps for 99 bucks(i just calculated it lol).  thats 300 right there!  so if you bought the imp destroyer you are set at 400 lol.  for about 140$ on amazon... i would probably buy a few additional things like the corvette version for imps is new for them in october and it will be awesome.  so that would run you to like 160 i think. *shrugs*  

Well that almost completely, but not quite entirely fails to answer my question...  :tongue:

Perhaps I should revise it.

I guess what I am wondering is "Is it important to buy duplicate ships?"

So it sounds like the Core box stuff does not include all the upgrade stuff that you get buying singles... so that stinks (unless I misunderstood). But is how important is it in play to have two Corvettes on hand to field? Would three be a better idea? How about Star Destroyer repeats? etc.

Just really trying to get a handle on if you can do a "one of each" approach or if you need to double up on things to compete.

you buy what you want to field.  you can have duplicate ships if thats what you want to do and its not a bad strategy.  its only important if you want the unique cards.  some duplicates from the core set DO have unique cards(think the vic has flight controllers) so if you're looking for specific cards you will have to research the ships.  FFG did that obviously for a reason($$$) lol.  if you have army builder mess with it and what you want to do before purchasing.  then look up the cards you need as well.  i run duplicate corvettes a lot but is it important to have 2? no... there are many doable builds requiring few ships.  imperials are very good at that.  rebs generally want to have the numbers... although who knows with wave 2 coming.  personally id just buy what you want to play and if you need a card just print it out :P  ill repeat, its not important to have duplicate ships its only important for what type of strategy you want to do.  for example if you go 2 vics just remember they are slow as [big bad swear word] but will eat anything in their front arc.  you generally want a few squadrons with vic builds as well.  i showed you the gladiator and how nasty it is last time lol.  there's also double gladiator builds that are brutal and glad+vic.  rebs im actually not a huge fan of the space whale.  i like the smaller ships right now and usually spam them.  but most people swear by the whale i just havent had that experience(i struggle to maneuver it like the other ships).  with 400 though you are going to essentially be adding 1-2 ships to the mix so that will be crazy fun.  and there will be 4 new ships in a month...

my suggestion is buy the core+whatever you want to see fly around.  hell you can run 4-5 corvettes if you want and i wouldnt call it 'terrible'.  not exactly noob-user friendly though lol

I started out with the one of everything approach (including the expansions of the ships in the core). I found I really liked the ships that weren't in the core, so I ended up with 2 of everything. But, one of everything will work really well, especially with Wave 2 just around the corner.

The game plays much better with some expansions than just the core.

At the GenCon tournament I saw fleets with 6 corvettes and others with only 2 ships that did fairly well. (I will not be buying 6 of anything)

• Like 1

As far as getting into it goes, get into it with a buddy (or brother). Each buy a core set and then one person takes all the rebs and one gets all the imps. Double the ships for the same price.

That was my strategy and it was a great way to justify get into this as a tertiary game. Now I stick to one of each expansion. Yes, this limits my builds in some ways, but a little artificial restraint just makes us more creative, right?

Anyway, its a sweet game. There's enough micromanagement that you feel in command of a spacefleet, and the alternating activation and movement mechanic give the game a weird rhythm. Its pretty unique.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, been pondering this more, and knowing now that if I buy in it will be well after Wave 2 is on the shelf, what in your opinions would be a good "Starter Set" to cover both factions but expand the base set a bit. Basically giving two forces that might allow some building options but if "maxed out" would turn out roughly equal.

In the end the goal is a fun game and a few options. I know wave 2 is pretty speculative, but based on game knowledge and such, what do you think?

I was thinking the Rogues and Villians pack might be a good way to help equalize varied forces.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I missed out on the Miniature Market Deal of the day Core set for $50 because sleep.

But I did it anyway, Amazon has the Core for $59 and I had a $50 gift card so... no real option there right?

I also picked up one each of the other Wave 1 stuff so I effectively have one of each. It all should arrive on Friday.

Now I'll just have to paint all those... wait... prepainted you say? Woohoo!!!!!! Man that will be nice to not have to paint stuff.

• Like 1

Now I'll just have to paint all those... wait... prepainted you say? Woohoo!!!!!! Man that will be nice to not have to paint stuff.

Yeah, prepainted in this case is nice. I've seen plenty of games with 'prepainted' stuff that looks like it was painted by a blind one-armed monkey (which is about my normal level of painting, to be honest). But the pre-painted Star Wars stuff (Xwing and Armada) all looks pretty darn spiffy, I think.

I do know some folks who aren't satisfied and paint over it all anyway, for a more 'personal' look...

I do know some folks who aren't satisfied and paint over it all anyway, for a more 'personal' look...

What a bunch of show offs!

Played our first game last night. I said "Hey guys, let me demo this with some one" and ended up with 5 players (me included). We divided the ships and played with the Core Set plus Assault Frigate and Gladiator. One player wanted to play the Tie Fighters so we ended up with 2 rebels and three imperials.

Teaching 4 people was surprisingly easy and game play was fairly fast for a bunch of noobs... and that I can get behind.

Over the course of 6 turns we had 2 Tie Fighters and Two x-wings die, and the Corvette flew off the board. The Victory class was near dead but otherwise not a lot happened. All in all, everyone had fun and liked the game but we all needed to get better at maneuvering.

• Like 1