AoS Formations? Or does it matter?

dkieft

The size and shape of your units can certainly be something to keep in mind at all times as you set up and move,but really its mostly something that comes into play during a move in which you are planning to charge.Most of us are still using movement trays for large model count units then just moving them off during the pre-charge move.For instance with my Moonclan,I use a block of 30 archers and pretty much move them off the tray prior to charge in what usually ends up looking like a "Crescent formation" so I can try to get as much wrap as possible:)

Another issue that comes up a lot is how to get models in position for a multicharge.Many models especially the larger base ones like monsterous infantry or other ones on 40+ mm bases are rather tricky to get good position on the charge for an effective pile in,and adding the desire to get a second or even third unit into the mix compounds the issue.With this in mind its clear that smaller unit sizes of the larger models can actually be more desirable as it usually ends up with at least 25% of the models never actually getting any hits and are just ablative wounds.

Other things that seem to be a common thing is "killing" a unit out of combat,that is removing casualties from a unit you control so that it takes them out of the 3" range of an enemy unit that hasn't piled in and attacked yet.With this in mind its always a good idea to keep track of how you position your command models in the unit,you don't want to have to take a banner out if you are trying to kill your way out of a combat.And of course working pile in to bring an opponents unit into the 3" range,this lets him attack if he wishes but can also lock him in,a good thing to do to a unit that's trying to get around your flank to your ranged line.

Remember that the pile in requirement is that you can move toward the nearest model,thus if you are already base to base or model to model you cant move,if not then you just need to end up closer to it then when you started your pile in move,so you have some wiggle room to try and get other models in.Its not nearly as "fiddly" as many thought it was going to be:)

If you are in the area hit up GG on Friday`s league and you are guaranteed a game:)

• Like 2

Here's one tactic I've found to be solid.  You basically make a neat looking "box" formation with your units.

For this example:

X=the unit with a 3+ save

H=the unit with a 2" range weapon

W=the unit with shooting

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XHHHHHHHHHHHX

XHWWWWWWHX

XHWWWWWWHX

XHHHHHHHHHHHX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

You just have to deploy properly to allow the "inside" units to fit.  What this allows is a mobile wall of destruction.  In the event you unit in the front is charged, you gain the pile in with your unit with the reach weapon and your unit with ranged weapons cannot be charged and are free to shoot.

As you move them across the table, your enemy needs to be wary of wanting to charge you.  This is also a nice tactic for armies focused on summoning.  Picture a Slann or Necromancer in the middle of this block.  Sure they can be targeted with shooting and magic but they won't be charged and with a nice unit surrounding them, they should be fine for a while.  A Slann surrounded by chameleon skinks who are then surrounded by a double wall of temple guard are going to be hard to shift.

You could also use this tactic to protect war machines in terrain.  I could stick my flame cannon in the middle of my ironbreakers on a hill.  Without ranged attacks, my opponent would have to get through a group of Ironbreakers with a 3+ rerollable armour save (shield wall is amazing).  You get even further the protection by placing irondrakes around the flame cannon (great shooting when not moving) and then surround the drakes with the ironbreakers.

So, those are just a few examples.  You could also use this tactic to keep support heroes from getting charged.

• Like 1

I've run Nurgles Deluge formation and found it to be quite useful.

Dropping nurglings across the board can really disrupt an opponents march.

I need more nurglings

Sorry, I was meaning more of formation on the field, but yeah, it seems the scroll formations... or whatever they are called, are kinda no brainers if you plan to have anything near their make up. Additional bonuses? why not?

Here's one tactic I've found to be solid.  You basically make a neat looking "box" formation with your unit *more stuff*

You make me sad,

I see what you mean, but honestly this is exactly what makes me not want to play the game. Maybe it will play out more fun than it sounds though.

Sorry, I was meaning more of formation on the field, but yeah, it seems the scroll formations... or whatever they are called, are kinda no brainers if you plan to have anything near their make up. Additional bonuses? why not?

You make me sad,

I see what you mean, but honestly this is exactly what makes me not want to play the game. Maybe it will play out more fun than it sounds though.

You asked for a tactic and I gave you one.

Honestly, I can do the same thing with the following deployment I've been mainly doing:

Stonehorn   Ogre Bulls                   Irondrakes           Ironbreakers

BT  lord FC

It is flippin insane how much damage 30 ironbreakers on a hill, in shield wall formation, can soak up!   They hold the line while the stonehord (this thing wrecks in AoS) and Ogres start the flanking manouver.

Out of curiosity, what size units play well? I know plenty of units get bonuses at certain numbers, but baring that, do you like bigger or smaller units on the field?

If you are running a unit that gets a bonus when taking addional numbers,I try to get to the first tier bonus.The second tier and beyond,ive tried a couple of times with my NG`s using 40 Spears and its very nice though also very hard to maneuver especially once you have engaged with them and they are all spread out.Also you will want them to be on the receiving end of your inspring presence each turn if possible otherwise they will run in droves.

Its perfectly viable to run one large block of troops to anchor your line and anvil with.I don't think I would do multiples though as having the maneuverability of smaller units will be much more usefull.Ive only tried 4 armies though so your YMMV:)

• Like 1

So far I've used one big block for each of my armies.  For my Dwarves, I bring 30 Ironbreakers.  With my Dark Elves, I bring 24 Black Guard.  Then I build around those two units.

The 30 Ironbreakers allow me to bog stuff down and I know they aren't going to drop very fast.  For my Dark Elves, I need to be able to kill things quickly.  The Black Guard do just that when supported by a master bsb (re-roll 1's to hit and 1's to wound).

Just like in 8th, both armies play much different.