Carcassonne and its expansions

Peanut

I know the game has been around forever but I finally picked up a copy. I'm hooked. I got two games last night. I almost bought "the big box" with all the expansions, but went with the little box for half the price. It came with The River and The Abbot, which are nice.

What expansions do you like? I read a few lists online and it didn't seem like there was much consensus.

• Like 1

Carcassonne is my wife's favorite 'board' game, she isolated I pick up every expansion I could, so we bought the big box set and everything since. The only expansion we're not sold on is The Wheel.

If you want to add some competitive depth, I recommend The Tower expansion. It really helped balance run away early leaders, but also tempers long term farmer placement really early on.

Hills and Sheep is nice, but isn't our favorite. Traders and Builders is another good one though.

• Like 1

This game has been a pretty great bridge between me and my fiancée's board game preferences.

Farmers are rather strong but stealing the fields can be satisfying. To be fair that tactic is quite an investment to pull off, but usually worthwhile in our games. I'll have to give more of the expansions a go, is there a limit to how many you can/should use?

• Like 1

This game has been a pretty great bridge between me and my fiancée's board game preferences.

Farmers are rather strong but stealing the fields can be satisfying. To be fair that tactic is quite an investment to pull off, but usually worthwhile in our games. I'll have to give more of the expansions a go, is there a limit to how many you can/should use?

I think there are two things to consider with the expansions:

1) Time. Each tile added adds basically a player turn to the game length. 10 tiles doesn't add much but 100 tiles adds quite a while (especially if you have some slower players). If you pile in a bunch of expansions at once you'll have a much longer game.

2) Some expansions are better than others... and exactly which ones those are varies between players. I for instance really dislike the princess and the dragon, but like Inns and Cathedrals quite a bit. I have heard that the catapult and tower are kinda terrible, but some one in this thread said they liked the tower. So anyway, you might want to read up on what the different expansions do and pick and choose your style before just going hog wild on purchases.